CFS sore throat? no

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Sep 27, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I have had CFS for years but I do not always have a sore throat .There are articals I have read that say if you have CFS you always have a sore throat.I am here to say thats not true .
    I do have pain all over 24-7 but its not always in my throat.
  2. MsE

MsE New Member

A sore throat has never been one of my complaints. It has made me wonder. All the other symptoms, just about, but not the sore throat.
  3. shell

shell New Member

My throat has been sore 90% of the last 4 years. I am hoarse 24 X 7 and I cough up stuff frequently. It makes sense though that you may have other viruses and things going on that do not cause a sore throat. According to the CDC you do not have to have a sore throat as long as you have 4 of the criteria:

1. Have severe chronic fatigue of six months or longer duration with other known medical conditions excluded by clinical diagnosis; and
    2. Concurrently have four or more of the following symptoms: substantial impairment in short-term memory or concentration; sore throat; tender lymph nodes; muscle pain; multi-joint pain without swelling or redness; headaches of a new type, pattern or severity; unrefreshing sleep; and post-exertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours.
  4. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I'm not sure how true that is. I have CFS/ME and I too get the sore throat, but it's not all the time. It occurs sporadically, and it's often goes along with me crashing. There are times in the past that I'd go to the doctor in the midst of a flare, and the doctor would comment that my throat appeared red and my glands were swollen.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You don't always have a sore throat with CFIDS. They are very common, but you don't always have one.

A sore throat was one of my first CFIDS signs. I had one probably 90% of the time. I was still working, this was before the crashing after exertion started.

I rarely get sore throats any more, but I do still crash regularly when I overdo it, and I still do get sick rather easily.

From what I understand, the defining characteristic of CFIDS is "post-exertional malaise" - more adequately called "post-exertional feeling like you have been hit by a truck and can't move for two days syndrome", and having the stamina of a baby.

I think the hurting all over your body feeling is FM, not CFIDS. I don't have the pain.

Don't worry that you don't have a sore throat all the time. It doesn't mean you don't have CFIDS or FM.

Mary