CFS symptoms and computer displays

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrew111, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

Sitting at a computer screen seems to cause symptom flares. Someone told me it is the subtle flickering that CRT computer screens have. I also noticed that most LCD screens are backlit with fluorescent lights, and I know fluorescent lights flicker too. But I just read about some new LCD screens that are backlit with LED lights. They are sometimes called "Bright" screens or "WLED" screens. And I don't think LED lights flicker.

Anyone know about this? Any thoughts on whether this might reduce symptom flares.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have a new one, bc my old one finally bit the dust, and I couldn't tell you much about what kind it is, but I do know that while it still bothers me somewhat, it is not anything near as bad as some of the other ones I looked at.....some of them have glossy types of screens that drive me nuts almost old one was really getting to me, too, but I think part of that had to do with it starting to conk out - it didn't seem to bother me prior to that....I also know that the colors on the screen, the contrast between the background and the words, the spacing between them, and even the size of the words (& whether they are caps, etc) all make a difference for me (and for others as well)
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

Recently they made a program up date on my computer and I can dim the screen. Its a great help.

I have noticed prohealths board back ground seems to have brighten again.

Aposter suggested using the blue overlays(like they use for those overhead (sorry brainfog)machines in school to show stuff on board. You can get them free at copy place. It helps with brightness and words jumping on screen.

she also recommended them to lay over the page of a book to help read and keep words from jumping around. If I can find her post Ill bump it. a lot people said it works
  4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I switched pc's and got a touchscreen. And I'm getting more migraines since I switched. My other pc has a smaller screen, but the fonts are so small, I don't know how I worked on that for years.

This screen, on the touchscreen, doesn't flicker. But I'm not crazy about how they said it has tons of tiny lasers in it for the touch part. Not sure why I get more migraines. Maybe how I have it placed or how I'm sitting, I don't know.
  5. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

LEDs are a DC (direct current) device. NO FLICKER!

Modern electronic devices use SOLID STATE SWITCHING POWER SUPPLIES to power fluorescent lights. The switching frequency is 400 times or greater than the 60 hertz used with traditional ballasts operating at 60 hertz. NO FLICKER!

6. shelbo

shelbo New Member