Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybugmandy, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. i have had CFS for 15 years and am getting worse at the moment.

i have noticed lately that not only do i have canker sores more often, but i am starting to have toothaches. i have never had teeth problems in my life nor have i ever had a cavity.

does anyone else have this?

i assume my body is less able to fight bacteria in the mouth now because my immune system is weakening..?

thank you
  2. ask2266

ask2266 Member

I started getting more cavities. Also, I would get shooting nerve pain in my teeth. Do you have HHV6? I heard that it can cause nerve pain anywhere in your body.

3. Saihri

Saihri New Member

Yes, my teeth have gone downhill also. Especially over the last two or so years, but more so this past year. (Quickly too). Oddly enough, I had posted a reply in another strand last night regarding this very thing. It was a post about the fingernails/halfmoons and someone had asked about teeth. If you look at my profile posts, you will find that one.

I have alot more tooth sensitivity and also the nerve pain throughout my teeth and jaw. I don't know the reason and I had never had too many problems with my teeth prior to maybe the year 2003 or so and never had any pain in them. It could be a combination of things including medications. I've always had a poor immune system, so that could also be a large part of the reason and may be why they've gotten worse over time.

I'm sorry your mouth hurts!! With the canker sore problem, you may want to swish with warm salt water periodically to see if that helps to soothe and heal them a bit.

Take care!!
  4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Sue!

If you have something infecting your sinuses, it can press on the roots of your teeth and make them ache. A clue that this is happening is that more than one tooth will ache, or more than one area will ache. Like for example, if both upper sides ache, it could be your sinuses.

Since I've had CFS, I have needed more calcium and magnesium. Taking supplements of these can help keep one's teeth strong.

I haven't had a cavity since I've been supplementing calcium and magnesium. And I used to have very soft teeth and get tons of cavities.

Being low on progesterone can have a big effect on your teeth. Progesterone helps bones stay strong by making new bone cells. It also makes your teeth more flexible.

(If you're going to have braces, like I did, be SURE you have enough progesterone. I wore braces for twice as long as I should have, because I was low on progesterone and my teeth weren't flexible.)

Being low on estrogen can affect your teeth. Estrogen helps preserve the bone cells you already have.

I also have more sensitive teeth since having CFS, and so dental cleanings are a challenge. I take a Motrin before going to the dentist, and I often use some progesterone cream the night before.

I don't need progesterone supplements any more, since I've gotten a bit better, so if I use the cream , I get acne. But it also makes my teeth less sensitive, so it's worth it for trips to the dentist.

I use Biotene toothpaste, because it is supposed to help keep the bacteria level in the mouth lower. They also make a mouthwash.

That is all I know about teeth!

I hope yours will feel better soon.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2008]
  5. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

i have had all of these problems--try to talking to dentists about it--another dead end.....i have terrible clicking and weird sounds in my jaw--the dentist say i dont--but everyone else seems to notice...the teeth thing may be a ph thing as well--lactic acid acidosis......

DRAGONSGIRL New Member

I found that what helps me a lot with my sore jaws and teeth is using a mouth guard when I go to bed. I grind my teeth when I sleep because even in sleep my body responds to the pain. Dentist fit ones were too expensive so I got mine at CVS pharmacy. Cost atound $30.00 and it really helps!

LISALOO New Member

I so relate, I've had cavities for years, but never gum sensitivity, it's so awful, cold, hot, ugh! Floss, nothing helps
  8. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I get major nerve pain in my teeth and it feels for sure like cavities but then my teeth are fine at the dentist. It's weird. It will even stay in one tooth for weeks or months but the pain also moves around. I also get major gum pain but my last visit they say my gums and teeth look good.
    I've had this for decades now. I know it's CFS and FMS in my case. It may be HHV6, I don't know. I haven't gotten very many canker sores in my life though.

9. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I had NO cavities my entire life until I was diagnosed with CFIDS- I've had to have fillings and a root canal because where I got a filling developed an infected nerve.

I'm so frustrated by my teeth! No matter how much I floss and rinse and brush my teeth are sensitive and I think I'm developing more cavities. :(

I'm even free of CFIDS symptoms, but my teeth still seem to be damaged.

What do you think CAUSES this? I'm so baffled.

What can we do to stop it? (Even after CFIDS goes away)

Any ideas?
  10. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

have you tried sensitive toothpaste? Sometimes I use put sensitive paste on dental trays and soak my teeth in the stuff for a few minutes. Also tooth paste with enamel strengthening is a good idea.

Someone else mentioned mouth guards. Many people grind their teeth in their sleep and don't know it. This can cause sensitivity and can wreck your teeth. If grinding goes on for a long time you can damage your jaws as well.
    A dentist can easily tell if you are grinding your teeth. If you are, don't hesitate to get a mouth guard from the drug store. They are cheaper than custom made by the dentist.

Take care,
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2008]
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My dentist told me that he sees more cavities, etc. with people who take ADs because the ADs tend to dry out your mouth. I am sure the same thing can be said about a lot of the meds. we take.

This may be one factor why we are having teeth problems.

take care.
  12. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Really gapsych? I hadn't heard that. Do you notice your mouth being dry? Mine doesn't seem to be very dry, but maybe it is and I just don't notice. ;)

I think I will try strengthening rinse again ... I didn't do it for awhile but maybe the fluoride is worth it.
  13. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I don't have cavities, but I have very sensitive teeth and a lot of pain in my teeth. I think some of it might be nerve pain. I can no longer have my teeth cleaned, as it is too painful. Sensitive teeth toothpaste is helpful; I use a special kind that really helps. If you need to know the brand, let me know; I'll go look it up. Dentist asked if I have pain in other parts of my body, and then nodded knowingly. He seems to think it all goes together.
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Hi, Yes my mouth is always dry even with drinking a lot of water. I did not have this before ADs but that could just be a coincidence.

Actually, he said not only ADs but any medication that drys your mouth. Can't think of the technical name, brain fog. If anyone knows the term let me know.

Now why a dry mouth would cause you to get cavities, I did not get a chance to ask as he was drilling!!!

Anyone else have dreaded dry mouth? Not to get off the subject here.

I also wonder if Provigil might have the same effect? Maybe I will look these up.

Take care.

[This Message was Edited on 09/13/2008]
  15. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I found this article very informative.

Dental Problems From Depression Drugs

Antidepressants May Promote Cavities, Interact With Dental Drugs
    By Daniel J. DeNoon
    WebMD Health NewsFeb. 4, 2003 -- Antidepressants may have hidden dental side effects, a study of patient records suggests.

Different depression drugs may cause different problems, note Joseph J. Keene Jr., DDS, and colleagues at Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine, Alton. To see what kinds of problems dentists might encounter, the researchers reviewed the medical records of more than 1,800 dental patients. They report their findings in the January issue of the Journal of the American Dental Association.

They found that more than one in five patients was taking at least one kind of antidepressant. Why is this a dental problem?

More than half of these patients were taking two or more drugs that can cause dry mouth. Untreated dry mouth -- a condition called xerostomia -- can lead to rampant tooth decay, gum disease, bad breath, yeast infections, and other oral problems.

Two thirds of the patients were taking antidepressants or other drugs that can lower blood pressure. These drugs can have dangerous interactions with common ingredients of dental nerve-numbing drugs. And patients taking some antidepressants and other drugs may develop low blood pressure when they are lying down. They might get dizzy during prolonged dental work, leading to falls when they try to get up.

Most of these side effects are seen with the older types of depression drugs called tricyclic antidepressants. Doctors often prescribe these drugs for other conditions such as some forms of pain.

"If you are taking any kind of medication, you should tell your dentist," Keene tells WebMD. People taking antidepressants may need a stricter dental program including more frequent brushing and flossing, he says.

Atlanta-area dentist Thomas Kauffman, DDS, says his patients are taking more and more medications -- including antidepressants. But he hasn't seen a big increase in dry-mouth problems.

"In terms of antidepressants, I think one might make the argument that people who are depressed aren't as interested in taking care of themselves and their teeth," Kauffman tells WebMD. "But if you are getting the right treatment, this shouldn't be a problem. I can't think of a patient on an antidepressant medication, Zoloft or Wellbutrin, who seems at more risk of dry mouth than other patients."

Kauffman and Keene agree that dry mouth is indeed a problem that must be taken seriously. Keene suggests several ways to prevent dry mouth:

Practice better home dental care.
    Drink more water.
    Use a fluoride application.
    Schedule more frequent dental visits.

Kauffman advises against the use of alcohol-containing mouthwashes because they can dry the mouth. Keene suggests that patients might consider using a saliva substitute, but both he and Kauffman are reluctant to prescribe saliva-stimulating drugs.

For patients who have low blood pressure as a side effect of their medications, Keene recommends:

Shorter dental visits.
    Letting the patient sit more upright in the dental chair.
    Monitoring blood pressure.
    Care in using drugs that further lower blood pressure.
  16. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Huh. Thanks for the article gapsych. That is interesting ... I just don't notice my mouth ever being dry ... maybe there is something different with my saliva that affects my teeth.

That would make sense as I've been on an anti-depressant for one reason or another (the same one, that actually works) on and off for several years.

This reminds me I should go get my teeth cleaned! :)
  17. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Bump for Jammin.