CFS: tingling/itching/prickling?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybugmandy, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. i was wondering if anyone else with CFS on this board has prickling, tingling, or itching sensations on their limbs.

i know that this is a symptom of HHV 6a infection and that i likely have this infection, but it seems strange that i would be having these symptoms now, after 17 yrs, and while i am improving on antiviral therapy.

i have also been experiencing twitching of my fingers and toes, and muscle twitching on my thighs and face. this started about a year ago but seems to be increasing.

my Mg levels are normal.

i guess i worry that this is an early sign of MS, even though my MRI a few months ago was normal.

i have read that most CFS patients do not go on to develop MS, but of course, i am sure i will have the worse case scenario :-/

i wonder if this could be a sign of viral die-off, but i doubt it.

[This Message was Edited on 08/14/2009]
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Tingling, itching and prickly sensations are commom symptoms of a borrelia burgdorferi infection (lyme).
  3. denis321

denis321 New Member

You should get your symptoms checked out if they worsen or are new but muscle twitches ("muscle fasciculations") are included as part of the Canadian definition.

Like Romalaw, I've also had intermittent mild muscle twitching at the beginning of my illness. Knock on wood but they're better now.
  4. romalaw

romalaw Member

Hi Sue, in my early years of cfs I experienced many bizarre neurological sensations in my limbs, toes and feet and sometimes face and eyes--tingling, itching, twitching, muscle "flutters and spasms," even jerking in my fingers, all of which were scary and disturbing. I clearly remember my toes twitching at night in bed. I had a couple of MRI's to rule out MS which, I like you, was afraid I had. They were both normal.

I seem to be able to keep them under control with high doses of magnesium and small doses of klonopin. I seldom experience them now. But I do experience every now and then slight tremors in my extremities, especially if I am tired or have over done it.