CFS Tool Kit: Info for Your Doctor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shar6710, Nov 5, 2006.

1. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I have talked about this in other posts but thought I would start a new thread.

One of the main purposes of the CDC's press conference was to introduce their "CFS Tool Kit". These kits are to be distributed to health care workers.

I would encourage everyone here with CFS (sorry FMS folks, hope your day comes soon) to take a look at it. It has been available online for some time and I printed it off weeks ago to take to my Dr.

Is there anything new? No. But for those of us whose doctors have limited experience with CFS, or worse those whose Drs are disbelievers I think it is a great step forward.

It has info ranging from Dx to Tx options running from traditional medicine to alternative therapies and supplements. And it tells Drs how we should be treated, given validation and assisted in our disability process.

Please take a look:http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/toolkit.htm

Best wishes to all,
    Shar
    [This Message was Edited on 11/07/2006]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

hope it includes information about being tested for the stealth infections, like C. pneumonia, mycoplasma, lyme, etc. too...

all the best,
    Victoria

3. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Victoria-sorry nothing about stealth viruses that might be a little too much to ask of the CDC! But many of the things they do suggest are the same things that many of us are doing anyway: supplements, massage, acupunture etc.

Bretz-Thanks for your comments. I too thought it is balanced, and although there isn't anything new here it's a very good start. I mean now the CDC has directed our Drs to listen to us, validate the seriousness of our illness and treat us!

Best of all I think it gives our Drs a plan to follow. My dr is very understanding but doesn't have clue how to build a comprehensive treatment plan for me. He doesn't realize that I can't take normal doses of meds. I think we all have to remember that most of our drs didn't learn anything about CFS in med school.

I know the kit is long but it is definately worth a read.

Shar
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2006]
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

I see so many people posting about unresponsive doctors. This tool kit should help turn that around.

Thanks, Shar6710, for bringing this to people's attention.
  5. mezombie

mezombie Member

6. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I'm taking this kit to my Dr today. It's rather long so I'm sure he won't have time to read it while I'm there but I hope we can discuss a few things in it.

Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Shar