CFS: TRANSFER factor question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybugmandy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hello. is anyone taking transfer factor WITH antivirals???

thank you
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Not yet. I have a bottle of transfer essentials on hand I may try. At the moment I am taking lysine with antivirals, cant tell if its helping as I think the antivirals are doing a good job before the lysine was added. But will add the transfer essentials after finishing the lysine. Have you tried inosine/imunovir with antivirals?? I think Mikie recommends and uses transfer factor with AVs. Have you tried IV vit C, I have pre antivirals and found it cleared the brain fog for about a day, may try it when on AVs myself. I think its worth looking into things that strengthen the immune system while also on AVs even things you have tried pre AVs.

Good luck.
  3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

thank you! once, a b12 injection also got rid of my brain fog for a while. iron pills got rid of it for a day...these arent addressing any root cause of course....

i am really interested in trying immunovir but strangely, my usually cooperative canadian doctor won't prescribe it for me!

4. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

try inosine, it is a supplement which apparently isnt to different from imunovir, just alot cheaper, and no prescription. I got a few good months out of it
  5. quamijay

quamijay New Member

why wouldn't your doctor let you try isoprinosone? just show him research on PWC and low nkc function and then the studies done on the drug.

take care
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi local doc said he did his own experiment with immunovir with some patients and it didnt do much. however, they were not taking antivirals at the time.

i dont know why he wont just prescribe it. maybe if i push him some more...who knows. i am only half heartedly trying to get it because deep down, i hate the idea of taking something behind dr. lerner's back.

7. quamijay

quamijay New Member

Clinical Improvement in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Associated with Enhanced Natural Killer Cell Mediated Cytotoxicity: The results of a pilot study with Isoprinosine®
    September 6, 2002

A. Kumar(1), E. Turgonyi(2), B. Hyde(3), C. Galvis(1), W. Lim(1) and F. Diaz-Mitoma(1)

(1)Departments of Pediatrics, Division of Virology, Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, Ottawa; (2)Newport Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Ireland; and (3)Nightingale Research Foundation, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is associated with several immune abnormalities, such as decreased natural killer (NK) cell mediated cytotoxicity and dysregulated production of cytokines.

The clinical impact of Isoprinosine® (immunomodulator / antiviral) on various immune functions in a total of 16 CFS patients diagnosed according to the CDC CFS definition was evaluated. Patients were followed for 28 weeks. Clinical improvement based on the clinical staging was observed in 6 out of 10 patients (60%).

CFS patients at baseline compared to normal controls exhibited a significantly decreased NK activity as well as decreased mitogen-induced production of IL-10, IL-12 and IFN-g in PBMC. The clinically improved patients showed a significantly enhanced NK activity [LU(5 and 15% ) / 106 ] which correlated with the duration of the treatment (p<0.03). A significant increase in IL-12 production by T cell mitogen stimulated PBMC was observed in clinically improved patients treated for 28 weeks compared to the patients on placebo (p < 0.02). Treatment with Isoprinosine® for 12 weeks did not appreciably influence the production of IL-1-á and IL-10. However, discontinuation of treatment resulted in enhanced production of both IL-1-á and IL-10 only in clinically improved patients. When treatment was started again at week 16, significantly decreased production of these two cytokines was observed. Treatment with Isoprinosine® for prolonged periods (28 weeks) also resulted in the enhanced number of CD4+ T helper cells and CD4+, HLA-DR+ T cell number in peripheral blood only in clinically improved patients. These results suggest the clinical efficacy of Isoprinosine® and its potential to enhance NK cell activity.

In view of the small number of patients, further studies are required to investigate the contribution of Isoprinosine®-mediated immune effects to the pathogenesis of CFS.
  8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

quam..thanks alot! i appreciate the article!

LISALOO New Member

I was going to ask the same question. If you're taking prescription or herbal is it ok?
    Like OliveLeaf Extract, Lysine. If you're body is trying to modulate itself, then wouldn't it block the body's effort trying to kill things?

PS - Isoprinosine made me worse not better
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2009]
  10. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

maybe it was die-off that made you feel worse?

LISALOO New Member

can you take antivirals and tf together?
  12. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Hi everyone,

I've read on the board that some doctors are prescribing antivirals and transfer factors together, so it sounds like it's OK. I'm interested in transfer factor as well - hopefully someone that has been on them will comment about how it's worked for them.