CFS: Undenatured Whey

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybugmandy, Jan 31, 2009.

1. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. has anyone found a way to take undenatured whey powder (immunopro/immunocal) without gagging? it is gross but i think i need to take it.

thank you
  2. Jayna

Jayna New Member

I used to mix mine into my own homemade cocoa. Eventually, though, the milk began causing me more digestive trouble than the whey helped. Now I can't take any dairy, even whey, because of the effect on mucus membranes.

LISALOO New Member

the only way I could have it is with a green drink mix.
  4. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

I took Immunocal for six months around 1996 for CFIDS. Mixed it with juice. Just can't remember which juice!

Had no discernable effect like every supplement (many!) I have tried over the past 18 years.
  5. waltz

waltz New Member

I just started trying ImmunoPro. I don't find the taste to be that bad. I am only trying 1 scoop per day to start, spread out through the day, so it dissolves in a few sips of water and can be glugged down, followed by a sip of plain tea to take the taste off the tongue. Another way I've tried is to add it to cooled hot chocolate or chocolate milk. (Can't be hot otherwise it will denature the proteins. I'm not sure if the chocolate changes the pH out of range, or if the milk and sugar affect the digestion.)

They say it's best on an empty stomach and don't eat for 15 minutes afterwards. Also, adding it to juice probably wouldn't work since they are likely acidic and would denature the proteins.

So has anyone had benefit from it? And which brand and how much are you taking? I seem to get a boost, like my heart is beating stronger immediately afterwards. I also seemed to get acne after one day.

[This Message was Edited on 02/01/2009]
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

according to dr. ablashi, you have to take 2 packets a day. i think its best taken in the morning on an empty stomach. he said to take both packets at once.

its SOOO gross.
  7. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

2 packets a day of which one, immunocal or imunnopro? Or does it not matter?
  8. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

I agree-it tastes bad.

I've tried adding some stevia to it. It doesn't help too much but it helps a little.

I need to start taking it again while I'm on Valcyte.

I'm confused about the packets. Mine is powder in a can and doesn't come in packets. Should I take two servings at once then?

I do get some die off from it so I started with half a dose.

I also read that it should be taken on an empty stomach with no food for another 15 minutes.
  9. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. dr. ablashi just said 2 packets so i assume he meant 2 servings. immunocal comes in packets.

i cant believe you got die-off! it didnt help me at all and i did it for a few months....

10. redhummingbird

Thanks for clarifying Sue! I have a thing of Immunopro.

I was surprised myself when I got die off! I felt very achey after taking it. I normally get muscle aches at night but they were increased.

I'm still curious as to why especially since I'm able to handle medications and supplements really well unless maybe it boosted the methylation protocol somehow? Who knows.

I just took a full serving so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the reminder about the whey.
  11. waltz

waltz New Member

This article says a little more about differences in effect between ImmunoPro and Immunocal. It looks like ImmunoPro works at lower doses but fewer people respond. Dr. Cheney recommended 2 scoops but that some people need to start at lower doses.
  12. redhummingbird

Thanks for posting the article. It was informative. So you are trying ImmunoPro too?

I'm wondering about Immunocal after reading the article.

I noticed from your profile that you're in the SF Bay Area. Me too.