CFS "usually turns into cancer"!....WHAT THE HECK?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Oct 22, 2008.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

TY so very much to the person here on this board that was so kind to share this video and I apoligiZe that I have forgotten who you are!:)I assure you it is not intentional!! it's just my age of forgetfulness, tee hee!

While I commend the lab that "claims" to have found enough information to be able to initiate a test for our dd and really that is a BIG, FAT, HUGE, deal I think we can all agree?!, it's claim that our dd "usually turns to cancer is a little bit upsetting! ....."ok a lot upsetting"!!!!!!!!!

If we have a test that really ="s validation,.... of our disease..and for most of us that is a big relief since many of us are denied, and even sometimes belittled from others that do not have this dd!,and that do not believe us or think that we are playing up our symptoms....

The problem Iam having right now is that in the video,it makes a statement claiming that cfs "usually turns into cancer"!!!!!!!!!!

This is something I certainly was NOT aware of.....but that definately upsets me to no end!

I would really like some feedback here..... this lab seems to be very legitimate and sincere in it's research and findings....however like I said, troubles me to learn that my chances of my dd turning to cancer is more likely than if I did not have dd!

I would like to hear from you all in what you feel, or know!

TY so much

If the link does not work please let me know and I will try to fix it ok? :)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2008]
  2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i assumed everyone knew that CFS patients are more likely to get cancer. that is how most CFS patients die i thought...other than suicide or heart failure.

many diseases increase the likelihood of cancer.

our immune systems are not functioning propery...chronic herpes viruses can cause cancer..that is why so many AIDS patients get cancer - because of EBV or CMV or whatever.

still, most CFS patients do not get cancer that quickly. some people have had CFS for 30 years and have still not gotten cancer.

please keep in mind that the peterson whittemore institute needs funding and maybe they are overplaying the risks of cancer.

3. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

once again it seems to just be one of those things that remains vague....the bottom line for me is that Iam going to just try to think positive meaning .....that Iam going to think that I will not get cancer, yeah I know I might get it...but why worry about something I have no control over....right?

Thanks again for your imput

I will try to re-post the link again!:)
  4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Authors of one study, published in the journal Health Care for Women International (2006 Aug; 27(7):615-26), reviewed a memorial list of 166 people with chronic fatigue syndrome. The list was kept by the National CFIDS Foundation. Of the people on the list, there were three times more women than men. The most prevalent causes of death, accounting for nearly 60 percent of deaths of people on the list were:

* heart failure
    * suicide
    * cancer

It was also determined that the mean age of chronic fatigue syndrome patients who died from cancer or suicide was significantly younger than people dying from those causes within the general population.
  5. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

thanks for the post , it really does put all this into perspective. after reading the one about the heart failure, cancer, & suicide thing i got on you tube( dumb idea) and found all kinda Dr's talking about depressing statistics about cfids, even that we have a shorter life span than normal people!!! scared the *%$# out of me, as i have got some heart issues on top of all the other stuff.BUt in reality, i can walk out of my house and never come home from a list as long as my leg of what can happen.It's hard not to worry for sure, but it sure dosent change a thing.even makes us sicker.
    When i lay down tonite, i'll be saying a special prayer for all of us here That if our bodies are Hurting, at least give us some peace in ourselves.It's so hard living in a sick Body, b ut i think it's even harder when your mind does a number on you!!! {{Hugs}} to all, Kat
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

the biggest mistake i made was finding a site with a list of thousands who have died with CFS and what they died from. i used to read them and imagine the worse.

but there is more hope now...and treatments. things are changing...the statistics are changing.

even dr. klimas said that the old belief that long-term sufferers cannot recover is being proven wrong.
  7. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I also read not to dye my hair because of non-hodgkins. I still do now and then.

We all have to live in an imperfect world. There is no escaping it. I believe it's keeping the immune system as healthy as possible. We are all different in our own care, too, as each of us reacts differently to different things, such as supplements and medicines.

I saw the connection first-hand with my mother. She had other complications and her immune system was totally shut down. Then, in front of us, all of these lymph nodes started literally popping out!

The doctors were amazed. I believe it was when the immune system couldn't hold the virus back anymore.

Being in the direct-care field, I took care of people living with cancer. Years ago, I cleaned up blood without gloves! I am sure I have the viruses for some forms of cancer living inside of me. I think we all do.

It's all about staying as healthy as we possibly can. It's like us against the world.

I guess do what we can do to be our best and then "Let Go and Let God".
  8. Olderbutwiser

Olderbutwiser New Member

To dwell on all the 'what ifs' and worry about the big C getting me, I try to stay positive. It comes from my last big question to my doctor about will this kill me? He told me I could probably get hit by a bus and 'lights out' on my way home from shopping, faster than the other. I have learned to live in the present and not stress about things I can no longer do anything about. Not that I ever could. I'm a control freak and just had to have control over everything I did or whatever came out of my mouth. No more, life's too short for 'what ifs.'

9. DADI

DADI New Member

..told me 10 years ago that the risk to have a cancer with CFS is very high.

If you're afraid of getting it....FUND we can find a cure
  10. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

I too had the same reaction when I heard that statement. A likely diagnostic test in the works is wonderful, but the cancer statement made my eyes pop out of my head. My body gets so weak that i can see how it may be more prone to things compared to others, but this was a scary statement to hear. I dont know how true it is..and frankly I try not to think about it. I hope we hear more and more about this diagnostic test though....we need something exciting around here!