CFS vs. FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by snooker11, Mar 31, 2006.

1. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

are they the same thing? If they are, why is it that CFS (70% of the time) goes into remission? Does FM go into remission also?
  2. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

There is usually much more pain associated with FM than with CFS. Some people with FM do go into remission, it just may not be as common.
  3. vickiw

vickiw Member

I think they're quite different. I have CFS and can't relate at all to most of the FM posts here (and vice versa I think). My husband has FM and we have entirely different issues. He is actually more functional than I am because there are medications that help him.

Where did you hear that 70% of those with CFS experience remissions? I've never heard that.
  4. jane32

jane32 New Member

Neither have I..please share the good article!
  5. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

Remission? I have never heard of this either. I know that I have had constant CFS for 21 years.
  6. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Where did you hear that 70% of people with CFS go into remission? I have never read this anywhere, or heard it either. Someone above said that people with FM can usually function better than those with CFS, possibly due to the fact that they can take pain medications. I think this is probably true. With CFS you don't get such a reprieve. The main difference with regards to symptoms I believe, is that those with FM suffer from pain, and those with CFS suffer from debilitating post exertional malaise or flu like symptoms. Take care. Marie
  7. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Then got sicker, now I have CFS!!! If there is more remission coming- bring it on! Quickly, please!!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Of the same illness or they may be different illnesses with a lot of overlapping symptoms. No one knows for sure. In order to have a dx of FMS, one has to have 11 of the "official" 18 tender points and they must exist in all four quadrants of the body, not just on one side or just the upper or lower parts of the body. Pain is often the most significant symptom but Fibro Fog and fatigue are often present.

With CFIDS, fatigue is often the major complaint. The fatigue must be present for a significant number of months. PWC can also have pain and they may feel as though they have the flu.

With both illnesses, studies indicate that there is a high level of chronic infection from funguses, bacteria, and/or viruses. It is often following a bout with the flu that one doesn't recover and develops CFIDS.

These are generalizations as not enough is presently known to be more specific.

I think a lot of people with one will develop the other or already has both but may not be dx'd with both.

Is this confusing? Such is the nature of these illnesses, unfortunately.

Love, Mikie
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

snooker:
    My opinion: they are different.

n.f.
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

I think they are different. I had Fm a year before CFS. The CFS started after a severe, 3 mos long viral illness, after which I stayed very sick, lost weight to 92 lbs.

Fm is painful, yes; however, on this board I don't see people saying how painful CFS is...in my support group of CFS, about 70% also have FM: that may be why you heard that 70% figure.

The pain associated with CFS is worse than my FM..of course, we're all different, but PWCs (patients with CFS) have many pains that can be so horrible:

Sore throats and glands
    Severe "Pressure" headaches
    Bone-origin flu-like pains
    Skeletal pains in any joint
    "Tissue" pain, like they are filled with fluid and the pressure hurts
    Neuropathies, with "nerve" pains of unknown origin
    Pain in the very arteries/veins
    Heart muscle pain, from possible virus
    Lung pain from exertion; blood flow may be cause

When I hear the word "flare", I always feel it applies to FM, and I've had them, but they don't feel the same to me as the CFS pain.

To me, "flu-like" pain doesn't even begin to touch the real magnitude of this CFS pain, but sleep does seem to help some of it, so I take real sleep meds, Halcion and Xanax, which allows me a couple of active hrs a day.

If I do too much, its not a "flare", its a "lie down right now or die" type of thing...think its related to the fact that the blood flow is not working right.

A lot of things that help Fm doesn't help my CFS.

If you live near a Fibro and Fatigue Center and have good insurance and plenty of cash (or can get it! LOL), they are helping lots of patients, esp. by finding out the different things going on in them, individually.
    You can search FFC on this site, or google it (Dr. Kent Holtorf, m.d., started these clinics, and are expanding all over the country).

Best of wishes to you, may you find your path to recovery soon! BTW, did you know a recent study by NIH and a group in Scotland found 15 proteins in spinal fluid, and 5 proved CFS? Very exciting research, and is on this site somewhere also. Some are claiming a treatment coming within one year!

Let's all hope....

findmind
    [This Message was Edited on 04/02/2006]
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And some of my symptoms definitely seem to be related to one or the other. The fluish aching and pain associated with my CFIDS is different than Fibro pain but if I am run down or have injured myself, it is possible to suffer both types of pain.

I can only describe the fatigue from my CFIDS as bone crushing fatigue. Most of the Fibro pain and some of the fatigue have been relieved by the Guai Protocol. The fatigue I suffer from now comes and goes, depending on how I am feeling. I have concentrated heavily on killing off pathogens which have caused chronic infection for years. It's a slow battle but one I seem to be winning, at a snail's pace.

I can look way back into childhood and recognize omens of things to come but, generally, I was a healthy and active kid and young adult. About 15 years ago, I got a mycoplasma infection and was very sick with flu like symptoms. I was left crippled for months and was never the same. I had symptoms of both FMS and CFIDS. Eventually the Fibro like pain went away but I was sick a lot and felt fluish off and on. It wasn't until an auto accident about 6 years ago that the Fibro came back full blown.

It is possible that we can recover from both or either of these illnesses, but because we probably have a genetic predisposition, if we are exposed to triggers, we may get sick again. My history is filled with triggering events.

Love, Mikie
  12. sues1

sues1 New Member

If I could get rid of just one, I have CFIDS and FIBRO......I would elect to banish the CFIDS,,,,,,,

the pain of Fibro I can live with....not easy.....but the pain of CFIDS and my thinking (fog) bothers me the most....No remission yet for me......it has been around 20 yrs.

Susan