cfs weight gain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mmacklem, Jul 24, 2006.

1. mmacklem

mmacklem New Member

i was "diagnosed" with cfs about 12 years ago. i have gained about 20 pounds in the last year or so and i can not seem to take it off. anyone know if cfs makes you gain weight or makes it hard to lose weight?
  2. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

especially if you have a thyroid problem.

However, I would have thought that you would have gained weight much sooner than this?

Has your CFS gotten worse in the last year? Have your symptoms changed at all? Are you taking any new meds?

CFS certainly does make it harder to lose weight - yoiur metablolism is slowed, and you cant do proper exercise.

Take care
    Michelle
  3. SweetT

SweetT New Member

You're not as active, yet crave carbohydrates (bread, potatoes, cake, cookies, chips. So, you're eating more yet exercising less. Surefire way to gain weight!
  4. jsholden

jsholden New Member

I have the same problem. My tyroid tested normal. I just don't ge it either....
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Yea, I have CF also and have gained 25 to 30 lbs But I
    also quit the Fags 2 years ago. That's partly the reason
    too!! But at least those 95lb. little blonde girls at the
    beach have stopped kicking sand in my face! I'm up to 155.
    All my friends comment how "great you look". The little
    blonde gals still think I'm ugly though.

So is life sometimes,
    MRDAD
  6. vbjess

vbjess New Member

I gained the most weight (50lbs) from being put on meds and taken off them rapidly (about 6 mos, give or take a month).

When you're sick, you never want to eat much of anything that's good for you- just stuff that tastes good. That didn't help me at all, either.

My doctor (PCP) had an interesting observation-he said that my metabolism was exactly like post-menopausal woman's. He said that if he had no idea how old I was (19 at the time), he would guess that I was going through menopause.

I think it's the secondary issues that really make it easy to gain weight and difficulty to put it off. I've been working for two years to lose the weight, and I'm only down 20 pounds. I have 35 to go.. I lost 10 this summer, so hopefully that's a sign that things will be going more quickly now! It's worth a hope, anyway. Two years of dieting is finally paying off.

I know there are a LOT of people with the weight gain issue. We are not alone, by any means.

I have reduced my caloric intake to about 1200 calories per day, and I try to stay active, although I work like crazy (I'm a college student, getting ready to go back to school), so I'm usually pretty tired by the end of the day. I drink diet soda, I water down my OJ (lots of sugar in that stuff!), I have my morning coffee over the course of the morning (keeps me from snacking), and eat as healthy as I can. When I'm at school, all the walking up and down hills from place to place keeps me plenty active!

Hope this helps,
    Jess
  7. gingercat77

gingercat77 New Member

I lost a stone since being diagnosed with CFS! And havent been able to get it back no matter what! Some people say god arent you lucky but I would much rather have the weight back along with my health..