CFS: What Do You Think of RedLabs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've been addressing my poison mold issues for about seven months now, and am thinking that it's time to take another look at how my immune system is doing.

Mycotoxins are pretty widely believed to have a negative effect on NKC counts and likely activity as well.

At one point Kenny de Meirleir was suggesting that mycotoxins might have the ability to cleave Rnase, thus creating the "bad" Rnase (Low Molecular Weight).

Rich van K told me back in December that he had doubts about this and had shared them with Dr. Meirleir. I don't know what the latter thinks now.

In any case, I've made a lot of progress with the mold. My Visual Contrast Sensitivity test has gone from really bad to normal (gradually over time) and my general well-being has improved.

I thus am wondering if my immune system markers have gotten better. I actually had RedLabs' panel done about six weeks before I moved out of my house, and so in theory doing a before-and-after comparison should work really well.

I've heard a few things that have made me wonder whether RedLabs' testing is accurate enough to even bother with though. If they're not very accurate, then perhaps I'd be better off with another lab even if I didn't get as much info (e.g. Red Labs' LMW % and the 10 or so measures related to NKC's that they supply).

(Part of my concern is that they failed to find any HHV6 in my blood while another lab found a good deal from the same needle stick. I'm not going to get any more of those specific viral IgG tests unless a doctor insists though. It seems very important to see if one has a herpes viral problem in the illness, but noting its level at any particular time doesn't seem to give much useful info about anything.)

What do you think re my using Red Labs for the NKC and Rnase-L stuff?

And if you think I should go elsewhere, where would that be?

2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

redlabs, according to a reliable source, is NOT good for HHV6 PCR testing. they do it wrong. the best for that is ViraCor.

i have been using Redlabs for RNase L activity....they should be pretty good at that i would think.

good luck
  3. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

IGG HH6 titers and PCR tests don't seem to be related in CFS. It seems that you can have very high HHV6 titers, but not have a positive PCR test because the virus hangs out in the cells, so they don't catch it in the blood. That might explain why your PCR was negative by REDlabs, but you had a high HHV6 IGG titer. I'd think they'd be decent at RNASE testing, since thats basically why they were founded. :)

RED labs

RNASE Enzyme Deficiency (Dysfunction) labs... gotta love acronyms.

4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi jam! i do not think that dr. lerner uses redlabs.

even if HHV6 were in the blood, redlabs would not be likeliest to find it. i wouldn't use them for any PCR testing.

i believe montoya is using them for RNase L testing...