CFS what ever happened to meals on wheels?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gothbubbles, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

Does anyone know anything about this program, and does it still exist? Do any of you use it?
  2. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

My neighbor gets meals from them and loves it.

Google Meals on Wheels in your area, and then apply.

It appeals to me as very nurturing to have some good meals brought right to the table.

The kind of people who volunteer for this are really nice, too.

Take care,

Roseblossom
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I delivered Meals on Wheels for years, when my kids were small. Our program is administered through our County Office For the Aging. All that is required is documentation from your doctor as to need. There is NO financial requirements. Paupers and millionaires are all welcome. We never had any young people receiving meals, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't. Give them a call.

There was a recommended contribution of $2 per meal, but, was not required. Most people sent their payment privately by mail, so noone ever knew who, or if, was paying what.
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

I used it for a number of years. I don't know how I would have survived without them. You get lunch and a hot meal for dinner. The volunteers are very nice and friendly. I did get "OMG, you're so young!" from one, but so what. Let them learn!

The only thing is that the food is not always the healthiest. I mean, it's not bad, but I did get Wonderbread and bologna, canned veggies and the like. But again, without the program, I don't know what I would have done.

By the way, if you check out your county's aging and disability services resources, you might be surprised at what is available. I recently qualified for some financial assistance with househould help.

In my area the American Red Cross also does food shopping for people like us. Unfortunately, I haven't heard from them despite contacting them twice, so I suspect they don't have any volunteers to spare.

Instead of Meals on Wheels, I now pay someone about the same as what MoW would cost to bring me an extra serving of whatever she cooks for her family. It works out well.

By all means, try Meals on Wheels. You're definitely eligible, and it might make your life a little easier.

By the way, it's good to see you posting again. I hope your symptoms are abating a bit.

Take care,
    Mezombie
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

What a FANTASTIC idea. Either having someone nearby bring an extra serving, for you. OR, especially for those in apartment buildings, offering to provide this service. Could also act as a supplement to income. What a GREAT idea.
  6. danaC

danaC New Member

If the program is administered through the Area Agency on Aging in your area there may be an age requirement. Call them as suggested in an earlier post. Happy Holidays!
  7. mezombie

mezombie Member

Elliespad: Thanks!

I suggested this idea to a woman who helps out an elderly resident in my apartment building. She lives across the street and I sensed she was interested in making extra money.

I also pay her to do some of my laundry. She comes once a week, drops off the meals (frozen & microwavable) and laundry, picks up more containers and more laundry. It's a win-win situation.

Gothbubbles:
    Check around. You may find someone like this, too. There are a lot of elderly people who need help and don't want to move into a retirement home. They often have someone come in to help.

If you do go on Meals on Wheels, you may be eligible for free or at least reduced-cost meals. It all depends on how the program in your area is run.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/10/2006]
  8. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

When they came to her mobil home on a Monday and couldn't get her to answer her door, they called me. She had apparently fallen and lay there without us knowing it. They stayed until we could get there and also the ambulance. It's a wonderful, caring program.
  9. mary124

mary124 New Member

Its still here in Austin Texas. I don't use it. I do however know people who volunteer to deliver. Its a great program.