CFS: What's for Dinner?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Cooking used to be one of my favorite things.

Unfortunately, it's become a lot more difficult to pursue this hobby since getting CFS.

It's not just getting to the grocery store, making the food and cleaning up that's the issue.

It's that most recipes include foods that I and many other people with CFS find it useful to avoid.

I thus thought that it could be useful for people to pitch in with recipes that meet some basic requirements:

* No wheat or other gluten.
    * No dairy.
    * No sugar.
    * Relatively low in trouble and preparation time.
    * Constitute (along with one or two simple side dishes) a full, nutritious and satisfying meal.

I personally would prefer that recipes not include corn or peanuts since those foods are almost invariably contaminated with mycotoxins, to which I am sensitive. They tend to be big allergens too.

(Fresh corn may be more okay with regard to the mycotoxin issue. I am going to try to test that this summer.)

Personally, what I want are recipes for meals that a "normal person" would eat. A gluten-free version of something usually made with wheat is not what I have in mind, for instance. I want real food.....something that doesn't remind me that I'm making a sacrifice with every bite.

I'm thinking that surely people here must have recipes that fit these guidelines. It would be great to share some new ideas!

Note that this topic does not seem to me to belong on the chit-chat board, because it has specifically to do with using food as a way to further our health rather than just to pass the time.

I hope that it thus can remain on this board, where people who are taking active measures to get better will be more likely to see it.

[This Message was Edited on 06/15/2008]
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

This is from "The New Basics," by Julee Russo and Sheila Lukins.

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 pound sweet Italian sausage
    1 chicken (2 1/2 pounds)
    7 1/2 T red wine vinegar
    3/4 cup chicken stock
    1 cup dry white wine
    1 bay leaf
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
    Salt and pepper
    1 cup pitted prunes, halved
    10 cloves garlic
    1 1/2 T Dijon mustard
    2 large Granny Smith apples
    1 T chopped flat-leaf parsley

Cut sausage into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Cut chicken into 8 pieces. Halve the cloves of garlic lengthwise.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole or dutch oven and brown the sausage in small batches over medium heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausages and set aside.

Brown the chicken pieces in the casserole until golden, and then set them aside with the sausage.

Pour off most of the fat. Add 4 1/2 T of vinegar to the casserole, bring to a boil over medium heat, scraping up any brown bits. Then add the stock, wine, bay leaf, thyme, and salt and pepper. Cook 1 minutes.

Add the prunes and garlic to the casserole, and cook 1 minute. Then return the sausage and chicken, mixing them gently with the sauce.

Cover the casserole. Transfer it to the oven and bake for 40 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken, sausage and prunes to a heated serving platter, and keep warm.

Add the mustard and the remaining 3 T vinegar to the casserole and whisk well. Add the apples, and cook over medium-low heat until the apples and garlic are just tender, 5 to 7 minutes.

Spoon the sauce over the chicken and sausage, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
  3. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

That recipe is from the Silver Palate? Sounds good -- Moroccan-like in parts.

I don't have food issues so just try to eat healthy. I've always enjoyed reading books about food though.

Here's a blog I found for a friend written by a chef with Celiac disease. Also has vegan/ vegetarian recipes. Note I have not used these recipes.

4. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Great topic...I have nothing to add as my cooking has gone down the tubes...

But would love some ideas...I agree with the peanuts and corn issues.

We do grill about once a week, but now I hear that is not great for the body. But at least if we buy quality meat, chicken or fish with a little lemon and olive oil we have a meal. We even throw some veggies on the grill. We never let the food get char grilled, maybe that helps.

5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

This is based on some recipes in "The 60-Minute Gourmet" by Pierre Franey, though I've made some alterations.

Note that you do not have to use ALL these different kinds of seafood or all these different kinds of vegetables. Pick and choose according to what's available or what you like. Quantities don't really matter. Fish doesn't have to be expensive as long as it's pretty fresh. Things like garlic are optional. No worries!

1 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless fresh fish
    1/2 pound shrimp, peeled
    12 mussels (in shell), rinsed
    12 clams (in shell), rinsed
    1 pint of oysters and/or scallops
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
    3/4 cup finely chopped onion
    2 cups green or red bell peppers, chopped
    1 leek, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped fennel
    1/4 teaspoon crushed hot pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 cups chopped tomatoes
    1 bottle dry white wine (really cheap is perfectly fine)
    1 cup peeled potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    1/4 cup or more of anise liqueur (Ricard/Pernod/absinthe)

Cut fish fillets into 1 1/2 inch cubes. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large kettle and add the garlic and onion. Cook until wilted.

Add leek, celery, bell peppers, fennel, hot pepper, bay leaf and thyme. Cook 1 minute.

Add tomatoes, wine, anise-flavored liqueur and potatoes. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.

Taste and adjust with salt and pepper.

Add the seafood. Cook until fish is opaque, shrimp are pink and mussels/clams are open.

Stir in fresh parsley and serve in big bowls.

The anise-flavored liqueur is even better added to the bowls just before serving rather than during cooking, if the small amount of alcohol won't be a problem.

If I happen to have some French-style black olives around, sometimes I will throw them in my serving at the table.

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

First, Lisa, your recipes look delicious but a bit more work than I usually do. (If someone would only make them for me!)

I do have a very easy and delicious baked chicken recipe. It only takes 5 minutes to get it in the oven.

Rub a whole chicken all over with olive oil. Then coat generously all over with McCormick Spicy Montreal Steak seasoning. Put breast side up in a baking dish, cover loosely with foil, and bake at 375-400 (depending on how hot your oven cooks) for 1-3/4 to 2 hours. Uncover the last half hour so the skin gets crispy brown. It's delicious and moist.

Serve with vegies of your choice.

7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

This is from Pierre Franey's "60-Minute Gourmet" too. A good summer recipe.

1 2-pound flank steak
    2 T olive oil
    3 T butter
    3 T finely chopped parsley

Rub the steak on both sides with oil. Sprinkle with salt and lots of black pepper.

Cook on grill or broil in the oven until done. (This is probably 6-10 minutes under the broiler in the oven.)

Transfer steak to platter and dot with butter. Let sit for five minutes.

Add juices from the platter to the sauce (below). Sprinkle meat with chopped parsley and carve on the diagonal. Serve with the sauce.

Hunter's Sauce:

1/3 pound mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
    1 T butter
    1 T finely chopped shallots
    1/3 cup dry white wine (cheap is fine!)
    1/2 cup beef broth
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add mushrooms, shallots, salt and pepper to taste. Cook about 10 minutes.

Add the wine and simmer briefly over high heat. Add the tomatoes and beef broth and tarragon. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Spoon on meat at the table.

If you want to really be fancy, you could use some kind of specialty mushroom (fresh or re-hydrated) in addition to the button ones.
  8. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I almost choked when I read that you wanted "normal" foods. Once you've entered the GF world, that ends unless you go to a support group mtg. Then if it's anything like mine, they'll be all kinds of foods and those eating the same as you.

It's not that bad though. Some of the foods I eat today are considered gourmet.

I've found that the most important trick I learned was to cook and freeze meats.

I cook wild salmon, from Walmart no less, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes in a shallow pan with only S and Pepper. It turns out better if you use a covered pan or foil.

I use this in salmon salad (same as tuna but with salmon) or my DD eats it straight with ketchup.

I cook chicken in the oven with a rub made from red curry, paprika, S and P and garlic salt. Occasionally, I'll use ground red peppers in this too.

This is my mayonaise recipe if you need one. All mayos have something I can't eat.

1 whole egg
    1 egg yolk
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    2 tablespoon Bragg's ACV
    1 cup GSO (Grapeola)
    1/2 cup EVOO (Carrepelli)
    1/2 tsp of sesame oil (Ty Ling Naturals Pure Sesame oil)
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions: In a food processor that has a opening in the lid, add your eggs and spices. Beat for a few seconds. Start adding the oil slowly through hole in top. Mixture will thicken after you get the first cup of oil in.

With the left over egg white I've started making homemade marshmellows.

1 egg white (beat until stiff)
    1 small pkg Knox gelatin (about 1 tbsp)
    2 tbsp warm water
    1 tbsp raw honey (or you can use Agave)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp lemon juice (preservative)

(Still playing with add in's - tried sunflower seeds last time and plan on trying coconut next)

Melt gelatin in water. Add vanilla and honey. Stir into stiffened egg white while beater is running. Gelatin mix must be runny so add more water if you need it. Place on cookie sheet that was oiled with coconut oil.

For a topping I use melted Enjoy Life choc chips + a little coconut oil. I'm keeping these in the frig for now. This is great for you nails ...

HTH .. Marcia

Also if you google recipe and whatever food you want to cook with you'll find a recipe. Like recipe salmon mango or recipe egg white ...

All Paleo recipes are gluten free and allergen free.

9. Honora88

Honora88 Member

anything that is fast and easy. Cutting up food and cooking is just too hard. I eat junk because it's too hard to walk the extra few blocks and walk around the supermarket.
  10. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

I have a major problem here I have FM but have extrem fatigue

Iam now trying to prepare dinner starting from lunch times on and Iam not too tired to do anything as i usually dont get up til 10

Just do what you can, delegate if you can have a couple of takaways if you can, plan if you can and if not, give yourself permission not to

It doesnt work all the time this permission bit but I beleive if you do anything long enough it will become easier

angel hugs and smiles

11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I don't have a recipe for this, but what about Paella? You could make it easier by cutting down on the number of ingredients.

12. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

I also used to enjoy cooking - but due to FM - I'm either too tired or too achy to really cook as I used to.

For me - I keep it simple.

Protein - Fish (season with salt & pepper - grill/bake)
    Poultry (season as desired - bake)
    Meat-NO RED (season - grill/bake/broil)

Starch - I get the baked potatoes at the market wrapped in saran - you microwave for about 8 minutes each.

Veggies - I just love the new steam in the bag veggies. They are fresh frozen and go from the freezer to the microwave to the table in about 5 minutes.

Salad - The bagged ones are expensive, but worth it for me. Sometimes I will throw in tuna or salmon for the protein.

Dessert - Usually fruit - or a natural frozen fruit pop.

I hope these shortcuts might help someone!

13. momof27

momof27 New Member

14. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I think this is a Pierre Franey one too. I'm of the opinion that anything with a bit of white wine in it tastes a lot better, even if it's simple.

(Thanks for the stuffed pepper idea, Kathy. I'm going to do that one soon.)

4 pork chops, 1 inch thick
    1 T oil
    2 apples
    1 clove garlic, unpeeled
    1/4 cup white wine
    1/3 cup chicken broth

Peel, core and quarter the apples.

Sprinkle the chops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a heavy large skillet. Add chops and garlic to skillet and brown well on one side, about 5 minutes. Turn and brown on the other side, about 10 minutes.

Push chops aside and add apples in one layer. Cook 15 minutes, turning apples so they brown and cook evenly. Remove chops and apples to serving dish.

Add wine, stirring to dissolve brown particles. Add broth and simmer down to sauce-like consistency. Discard garlic. Pour sauce over chops and serve.
  15. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

This one sounds awful, but it's quite good. Smooshing up the vegetables in a food processor or blender is messy, but it gives a nice texture without any need for flour. Pierre Franey again.

1 chicken, cut up
    4 cups chopped cabbage
    1 1/2 cups white turnips
    1 cup carrots
    1 cup chopped onions
    1 bay leaf
    2 cups water
    3/4 cup white wine
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 cups potatoes
    1 T Worcestershire sauce

Cut turnips, carrots and potatoes into half-inch cubes.

Put the chicken pieces into a large, heavy pot. Add the cabbage, turnips, carrots, onion, bay leaf, water, wine and thyme. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil and cook 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a saucepan. Add water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer about 2 minutes and drain. Set the potatoes aside.

When the chicken is ready, remove the pieces. Pour the vegetable mixture and the liquid into the container of a food processor. Blend thoroughly.

Return the chicken pieces to the pot. Add the pureed vegetable mixture and the drained potatoes. Cook and bring to a boil. Simmer 15 minutes.

Add the Worcestershire sauce and serve.
  16. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

This one I made up last winter after my doctor told me to eat as many cherries as possible for their antioxidant value (including my eye issues).

Pure cherry juice can be found at upscale grocery stores.

I used cherry jelly with some sugar in it, but those especially concerned about sugar could use all-fruit jam. The jelly gives the stew a nice glossy consistency, desirable since there is no other thickening agent.

This turned out to be spectacularly good, I thought. More of a winter food though.

I've not yet learned to use a crockpot, but it seems this would be great in one of those.

It's really easy either way.

1-2 pounds stew beef, cubed
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 large onions, chopped
    1 bottle red wine (cheap is fine!)
    2 cups unsweetend cherry juice
    2 teaspoons Italian seasonings (thyme, bay leaf, etc.)
    1/4 cup dried cherries, optional
    1 pound mushrooms, halved or quartered
    3 T cherry jelly
    1 T prepared mustard

Brown meat in olive oil in non-stick pan.

Remove meat from pan. Cook onions in pan until soft.

Combine meat, onions, wine, cherry juice, Italian seasonings and dried cherries in a large stewpot.

Cook over low heat for a couple of hours, until meat is soft. Check liquid throughout. If liquid gets too low, add water.

When meat is soft, check for liquid. If too much liquid, cook on high heat until it reduces. If too little liquid, add some water.

Add mushrooms. Cook for a while (maybe 10 minutes) until mushrooms are soft.

Stir in cherry jelly and mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Mashed potatoes are a nice accompaniment, if you have time and energy. Substitute some of the water that the potatoes boiled in for the milk.

The stew is great by itself though.

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]

CATHYRG New Member

i am careful about what i eat and these receipes sound delious. I also believe we need to stay away from fast food and fried foods occasionally it works but not routinely

CATHYRG New Member

I do a pot roast withone can of cherry coke or plain diet if you desire. tons of onions sliced and i use the lower price chuck roast because i believe it has the most flavor. you can whatever you want in the veggie dept.carrots,baby reds and green beans etc. I bake it in a dutch oven for 2-3 hours and when its ready it has its own gravy or sauce. very cheap, healthy and good. I usually make enought for roast beef sanwitches.
  19. 28years

28years New Member

These recipies look great, but I have neither the energy or the brain power to cook. I'm lucky if I can manage to make a P&J sandwhich for dinner. Often it's just cold cercle or a granola bar for me.

I live alone and have no one to help me with anything, except I can get one of my nephews to buy groceries for me about once a month.

The last time I saw my GP she said I was poorly nourished. I'd love some REALLY EASY dinner ideas.
  20. 28years

28years New Member

those are some good ideas.

I live in a rural area. No store deliveries. No teenages around. The church is probable a good idea, but I'm soooooo embarassed to be so incompent and need so much help.

I'm also embarrrassed to say it, but I don't know how to make egg salad. (Can you believe I used to make bread and soup from scratch! It seems like it was an other person who could
    cook as much as I did.)
    (sorry for all the spelling errors, by I'm too tired to turn on my voice activated software--now that's tired!)

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]