CFS without depression?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GILL, Sep 23, 2002.

1. GILL

GILL New Member

I have had CFS for 5 years, and so far have escaped depression. I get down during a flare especially when in constant pain, but have not suffered from proper depression. since reading the board it seems depression is very high in CFS sufferers and wondered whar everyones experience of this is? I seem to be "on the brink" at the moment due to many family problems. The CFS doesn't help, but i dont think it has caused it.

Thanks

Gill
  2. GILL

GILL New Member

I have had CFS for 5 years, and so far have escaped depression. I get down during a flare especially when in constant pain, but have not suffered from proper depression. since reading the board it seems depression is very high in CFS sufferers and wondered whar everyones experience of this is? I seem to be "on the brink" at the moment due to many family problems. The CFS doesn't help, but i dont think it has caused it.

Thanks

Gill
  3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Many studies show that people are not suffering from depression, but cfids and/or fms...and their doctors are misdiagnosing it as depression. I do have a history of clinical depression, but was NOT suffering (still ok) from depression when I got cfids and fms.

Here's one article from the library...there are many more if you're interested in this.

Hopefully, we'll keep you from going over "the brink" (an apt description)...for laughs, come over to the chitchat board sometimes. Take care, Michele

Relationship between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Depression Studied
    by Tamara Schuit ImmuneSupport.com

06-28-2000

(Editor's Note: Orginal research abstract published by the University Department of Psychiatry, and MRC Brain Metabolism Unit, Royal Edinburgh Hospital, Edinburgh.)
    A recent study set out to identify the relationship between CFS and depression.

Researchers at Edinburgh University in the UK evaluated brain scans from 30 people with CFS, 12 diagnosed with depression, and 15 healthy subjects. They concluded that both CFS and depression may be neurological and due primarily to increased blood flow in the right thalamus, which is responsible for processing sight, sound, touch, and more importantly, pain.

However, there is one detail that separates CFS from depression – CFS sufferers also have an increase in blood flow to the left thalamus. The researchers believe that this lack of activity in the left thalamus may have something to do with the fact that depression alone involves more psychological problems than does CFS.

Past studies have indicated that the onset of CFS is not related to depression, and that increased depression can reactivate latent viruses, decrease the body’s immune response, and stimulate the production of certain cytokines linked to some CFS-like symptoms.

Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum, author of From Fatigued to Fantastic, states “Although many CFS patients feel depressed because of their illness, only a small minority have depression causing their fatigue.

Findings from this most recent study may bring a sense of relief to CFS sufferers who often have to convince people that their disorder is real and that their symptoms are not just in their minds.

The discovery of the increased blood flow unique to CFS patients may potentially lead to the discovery of additional physical changes responsible for developing CFS.

Sources:

Research abstract from Royal Edinburgh Hospital. From Fatigued to Fantastic, by Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D. Healthwatch, 1999 and 2000.

4. genevieve

genevieve New Member

Hi Gill,

I also have CFS but, thank God, no depression.

Earlier this year I felt really depressed for the first real time and then eventually it dawned on me that I had cut down quite significantly in the amount of B vitamins I was taking and when I increased back up to 50mg a day of B comlex the depression went. I was lucky.

Plus what is probably more suprising is why we don't all have depression with all we have to contend with. People with all sorts of chronic diseases suffer from depression again not suprising, but it is the effect of the illnesses physically, emotionally, mentally and due to how we are all treated by doctors etc and financial problems etc etc depression is not I think the cause of the illness.

With love,

Genevieve

5. Dawnt

Dawnt Member

My doctors keep asking me if I'm depressed, I tell them no, just frustrated. Upset at what has happened to me. Not happy with the way I feel. But depressed? No. My friends say I make them depressed though, lol. They know how I was and to see me this way really saddens them. Plus any more pills to my regimen would depress me.
    Dawn
  6. GILL

GILL New Member

My 12 year son got CFS 1 year ago. He also has not had depression, although his consultant wanted to put him on anti-depressants before she even met him!! I wouldn't allow it.I can see why the illnes causes depression in alot of people but its frustrating if GP's see the depression first and foremost.

I live in the UK, and my Dr's partner does not even believe in CFS. for what people on the board say, i think the USA take it a lot more seriously then here in England.

Gill
  7. xanderlee

xanderlee New Member

Hi Gill..I am sorry your son has to go through this to..mind you , kids are usually more resilient than adults. I have only been diagnosed a short time, but the first thing the gP did when i came out of hospital was send me on my way with a box of prozac, on repeat for as long as I want it..No pain killers, just anti-depressants. was I depressed...no, just very frustrated/angry..esp with myself and fed up with the lack of support and help and advice that anyone in the UK can give me. I have had no advice from my GP at all, despite promises from the hospital that I would have an outpatients appointment for them to monitor and help me. I cant walk, cant drive and have 3 kids, the youngest is two, and they are as house bound as I am. Will I end up depressed...probably yes, if I dont murder a GP first!!
    The poem by the way was great, and I have printed it out, to help people understand what I am going through...many many thanks
    Gaynor
  8. fibolady

fibolady New Member

hi gill, i have fms. i also fight the situational depression a lot. it is easy to get down in the dumps when you have one of these dd and the lack of support we have.

i have had real depression twice in the past so i can easily differentiate between the two. the hopelessness, lack of any appetite, absolutely nothing holds any interest, etc. were key signs. of course back then my fms was not full blown. the medication worked almost immediately and it was like a cloud was lifted. i was my old self again.

now, i carefully monitor myself (situational and other) might overlapp, but usually i feel better when i am feeling better and the sun is out so to speak. as for family problems, the extra stress can really do a number on you. try to resolve
    those, i know when i "let go" of a few inlaws that were constantly bringing me down i started doing a lot better mentally!

as a note, i too always get down during a flare (my husband says i get mean) that is a hard one to work on, you are not alone!

warm regards, fibolady