CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teller7, Mar 10, 2003.

1. teller7

teller7 New Member

I'm new here. I've just been diagnosed with CFS. The weakness is sooo awful. Can't concentrate or walk well at all. I've have many tests and everything came back OK. Will this ever go away? Had alot of viruses in the past couple of years. This is the result. Can't work, take care of my house, cook a meal. Can anyone help me cope with this?
    Carol
  2. *Isla*

*Isla* New Member

It can go away and you can get better. At least, this is the hope that I hang on to and the goal I work towards. The best coping advice I can give you is take care of yourself. Your health has to come before anything else in your life.
    I really hope things get better for you. This board is full of support and help.
    God bless and keep smilin'!!
    *Sonia*
  3. teller7

teller7 New Member

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Do you have weak spells often? And, there's nothing you can do about it. Also, how long have you had it? I'm thirsty for info from others to see if their symptoms are like mine. Thanks gal,
    Carol
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Carol, welcome to the board. I sure hope you get to feeling better very soon.

You have come to the right board for support, and a whole lot of knowledgeable people too.

I have Fibo, but we have many members with CFS to share what they are doing with you to get some relief.

Again, welcome and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome to the board. I have both CFS and FMS and of the two, the CFS is the more debilitating, although there is a lot of overlap in symptoms.

I am much better than I was two years ago from trying different approaches, meds, supplements, diet, physical therapy, and mental therapy.

Try to work on your worst symptom first. If it's sleep, talk to your doc about something which will help you get some restorative sleep. If it's pain, get something for your pain, and go from there.

Stick around. We have some very knowledgeable people here. We also have a great library. Read and learn all you can about your illness. Best of luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

You might want to try walking aids on your bad days. Many of us use a cane or two canes, but if you really need support, your arms have to work hard trying to balance canes while leaning on them. A walker gives plenty of support but is so awkward and you can't do stairs. For the last 6 mo., I've been using two forearm crutches and they are a wonderful lifesaver on my rubbr leg days(which is almost every day). They give me lots of support without tiring my arms, and they are very lightweight. I can go almost anywhere I want. Shopping is easy too. You can push a cart because the cuffs make them stay on your arms. You can use the 4 point gait if you need lots of support and the 2 point gait if you need less. ( you can see an animation of these gaits at the interactive section of walkeasy.com---not an endorsement: I have nothing to do with them and use a different brand). I strongly urge you to give them a try. There's nothing to lose if they don't help. My cfs/fibro is severe enough that I am unable to walk without crutches any more but that's really rare, and for a while I only used them when I felt the need and that is the situation you would be in. Craftyjody, phenom, and sharondawber are three other ladies I've found on this board who use crutches part time. They work beautifully. Don't leave home without them is my motto. Also, if you try crutches and they help, do not worry about embarassment over your friends seeing you on them. That goes away very quickly.
  7. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Welcome to the board...I have CFS, too, and FM. I understand your weakness, and lack of concentration, etc. Standing about 5 minutes is my limit. It has gotten better though, initially I was bedridden. Through lots of research and a wonderful Doctor, I am making progress. Hang in there, do your homework, and remember what works for one with these disorders, doesn't always work for another. It is a matter of experimenting and finding the meds/supplements/diet that works best for you. It is very important to reconsider lifestyle, and make changes neccessary there, as well. With the exhaustion that comes with CFS we must prioritize our lifes, and also eliminate those things which stress and exhaust us.

Best wishes,LL

[ advertisement ]