Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Sorry it's me again.

I need a favour - could you answer my dilemma please?

Soma has just been discontinued without warning in the EU.

I only have A couple of weeks supply left.

What could I ask my doctor for to help me with sleep and pain the same way Soma does?

I already take Ambien and Diazepam or Clonazepam (rotated on alternate days) with the Soma.

I read that Soma has meprobomate (a metabolite of Diazepam) in it which makes it difficult to come off. I also read one tablet of Soma is equivalent to 10mgs Diazepam - IS THIS TRUE???

I don't think my doctor would allow me 30mgs of Diazepam a day on top of what I am already taking but I have hardly any Soma left.

I'm really scared and don't know what to do.

*Please* can you help me?

Bunchy x
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

could try lyrica or neurontin
  3. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Are you out here cfsgeorge?

Hi (((BDT))) - hope you are OK :)

Heapsreal - I didn't do well on either Lyrica or Neurontin - they just made me feel drunk and nauseous :(

Love Bunchy x
  4. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

but I do recall him mentioning something in favor of Xyrem recently.
  5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

but you can't get Xyrem in the UK - I so wish we could :(

Bunchy x
  6. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Bump for Bunchy
  7. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Bump for (((Bunchy)))
  8. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

Did CFSGeorge disappear? If so I will miss his posts =(
    Hopefully he's just taking a temporary break
  9. shelbo

shelbo New Member

10. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Bump for (((Bunchy)))
  11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Is there any other muscle relaxers that you've tried? flexiral, skelaxin, Robaxin, something your Dr. can offer?

When I went to the pain clinic (once) the Dr. happened to have Fibro. She said Flexiril is supposed to be best for Fibro. Now admittedly, I prefer Soma.

I wondered if it would help you though so that you have something to take when you are out of Soma?
    Of course, I have no idea what is and isn't available to you in the UK.

Is your Dr. offering any help/suggestions to you at all? I would talk to him immediately and figure out your options. If you've been taking Soma regularly, you'll want a replacement.

Why are they discontinuing over there??? Just curious.

12. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Thanks so much for your kind reply.

I'm not sure Flexeril is available in the UK for "off label" use and I'm also worried about possible weight gain even if it is as I've heard that can be a side effect as it's related to the trycyclic antidepressants. I really don't want to gain weight :(

I don't like Robaxin - it makes me feel awful.

There is a possibility that my pharmacy can pre-order a year's supply of Soma with the permission of my doctor - I will find out if they have been able to do that next week hopefully. That would give me some time to work out other options with my doc and also to reduce the Soma in the meantime.

Which do you think is best for sleep (inducing a deep relaxing sleep without making you feel drunk and nauseous) by the way? That is the best thing for me with the Soma as opposed to Robaxin.

Soma has been discontinued in Europe because of abuse on the streets and the decision was made to withdraw it from the market because they felt the risks of abuse outweighed the benefits.

It really annoys me when idiots on the streets do that and then people who really need it can't get it anymore.

I do very well on Soma - again, I would ask which you think is best for quality sleep if you can give me your opinion.

I will ask my doc about Flexeril.

Any further input welcome :)

Thanks again (hugs)

Love Bunchy x