Chances of SSDI: Dr.s record listing 2 Impairments?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Jun 8, 2008.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I posted this in the SS Thread but I don't think anyone will see it anytime soon. One of my Drs. actually listed 2 Impairment numbers in my record; has anyone had this happen and/or would you think this is a good thing?

Thank you in advance,

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2008]
  2. landra

landra New Member

It is not a matter of how many impairments you need, but rather the severity that can be demonstrated to a judge.
    You could be severly enough disabled with one impairment (mental illnesses come to mind), or it may be a combination of several things affecting you.

You may want to ask the question with a different heading - I was going to skip this because there are so many lists of symptoms. What you wanted was not clear.
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Thank you for giving me the information/advice.

4. mezombie

mezombie Member

I'm assuming your doc listed two diagnoses? That's a good idea, IMHO. My application listed several.

The SSDI process is much smoother if your doctor diagnoses you with anything on the SSA's list of recognized "medical impairments". Yes, they really do have a list! And, unfortunately, neither CFS nor FM are on there.

The first thing a reviewer will look for is a listed medical impairment. If it's not listed, the process will be slower and may require more paperwork from you and your doctor.

Listing two or more impairments also strengthens your case, as the chances of being too disabled to work tends to increase if you have multiple health problems.

So yes, this is a good thing, IMHO.

Good luck to you, BlueSky
  5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Yes, I have 8 doctors and 1 of them has 2 of the impairment numbers listed in my records. I'm hoping that's a good thing but we never know.

I appreciate your response. Also, may I ask, what is IMHO? I don't believe I know that one.

Thank you so much.

6. mezombie

mezombie Member

He he...

IMHO means In My Humble Opinion in messageboard speak.

I only learned that a year or so ago myself.

7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

That's cute; thank you:eek:)