Change in and addition to meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzlady, Nov 3, 2010.

1. dzlady

dzlady New Member

After seeing my Doctor today, she changed and added some to my medications. While she suggested Acai for energy, she changed my Savella to Cymbalta. After asking how the pain was and explaining to her I was in more pain now than I was this time last year (and last year I was un-medicated) she felt the Savella wasnt helping. She also added Propanolol 20 mg and Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg. She increased my Buspirone to 10 mg. I am hoping that this combination helps better than what I was taking. She explained that there were 4 types of drugs that needed to be present to treat FM and at the time, I was only on one, the Savella. She also prescribed Xanax for me as needed for an upcoming very stressful event that I will be going thru Nov 15th. Lets hope it works

2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

It can be so difficult to find the right combination of effective treatments and can be an ongoing process.

Is Buspirone the same as Buspar? (ETA, it is) I took it many many years ago and it did not work out for me however, this does not mean it won't work for you. It does have certain advantages over the benzodiazepines. I've thought about trying it again but I take the clonazepam for RLS as well as anxiety. I'm planning on discussing this with my doctor the next time I see him.

What are the four types of medications? I'm trying to figure this out by looking at what you are taking but my mind is not processing well at the moment.

Hope this works out for you. Keep us posted.

[This Message was Edited on 11/04/2010]
  3. dzlady

dzlady New Member

Yes, Buspirone is the generic for BuSpar.

As for the 4 types of medications, I cant really remember what she said they all were. I remember one was the muscle relaxer and then of course the one for FM (Savella, Cymbalta, etc). She spent quite a bit of time with me and we discussed so much. And my memory isnt what it used to be. My husband wasnt able to attend this appointment with me to catch all that I would forget. I had made a list of what I wanted to talk to her about before I went in and we covered all of it. She told me with all that I had on my plate at this time with my son and his "issue" that it is no wonder that I cant remember anything.

She is such a wonderful Doctor. I explained to her about my upcoming VERY stressful event with my son and they usually dont prescribe Xanax or those types of medications, but she did give me a script for 30 of them and told me to use them as necessary. I doubt I will get a refill, which is fine, I just need to get thru that day and probably the days afterward if things go the way we are thinking they will. She was able to see me have a mini break down (which was not planned) but as I was explaining it to her, I became very emotional and began to cry and got shakey. I am expecting the worse but hoping for the best!

4. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

I also take Cymbalta and for the most part it helps a lot. It does make me a bit hyper sometimes and my mind races. But it helps with pain & it does increase my energy levels. My doc also gave me Xanax for stress that I take occasionally. It is good that you prepare yourself for upcoming stressful events. I had a very stressful day this week and noticed an increase in pain in the usual area's. I believe there is a direct connection.

Have you tried the Acai yet?