Changes in eyesight and shooting eyepain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Martha, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Martha

Martha New Member

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 months ago and feel like the pain is never going to end. I have headaches that will not quit and have become debilitating. Along with the headaches I also have nausea and shooting eyepains. It feels like knives are coming through my eyeballs. Also my vision is not as focused and some days to much eye movment leaves no choice but to lay with my eyes closed for long periods. My Neurologist said it is referred pain, and I had an occipital nerve block 10 days ago and will have one in 5 days---does anyone else have this problem or any helpful ways to deal with this?
    mmr
  2. Martha

Martha New Member

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 months ago and feel like the pain is never going to end. I have headaches that will not quit and have become debilitating. Along with the headaches I also have nausea and shooting eyepains. It feels like knives are coming through my eyeballs. Also my vision is not as focused and some days to much eye movment leaves no choice but to lay with my eyes closed for long periods. My Neurologist said it is referred pain, and I had an occipital nerve block 10 days ago and will have one in 5 days---does anyone else have this problem or any helpful ways to deal with this?
    mmr
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

the shooting eye pain could be a migraine starting, you should look up migraines & the symptoms preceeding an attack and also herpes virus does that to your eyes.

Hope this helps.

Jaci
  4. UmiBear

UmiBear New Member

to hear about your headaches and eye pain. I have eye pain, and I've heard of other Fibromites having it too. I can't say my eye pain is "shooting" though, but it is serious sometimes. Dry eyes is often listed as a Fibro symptom and that can cause pain. You might also want to check the side effects listed on any meds you are taking. Recently I was trying to figure out why my memory loss was getting worse, so I read all the possible side effects for my blood pressure pills and was surprised to see memory loss, eye pain, and hair loss all listed as possible side effects. Since I have trouble with with all of these things I'm going to see my doctor about changing blood pressure meds. I hope you find the answers you're looking for. Oh, I use Ultram for Fibro pain, and it's pretty effective for me. It helps the eye pain but for me it doesn't help headaches.
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

So sorry you are having these awful problems. FMS can cause changes in vision and eye pain, but your head and eye pain sounds so severe, I wonder if you have been tested for possibly having Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR). The blood test is called an ESR (sometimes referred to as a sedimentation rate). If you are over 50 and have not had this done, it might be worth asking about. If you suddenly lose vision and/or get a headache worse than any you've had before, please go to the ER right away. It is probably not Giant Cell Arteritis, which can be part of PMR, but better to be safe than sorry.
    If it is FMS and not PMR,then you might try a Cranio-sacral Therapist. Your insurance will not cover it, but they can sometimes work wonders with head and neck problems in just a few sessions. Most of them are Licensed Massage Therapists who have had further training in this specialized area.
    I hope you get to the bottom of it.
    KLutzo
  6. latracy

latracy New Member

After being exposed to an pesticide in my classroom, I developed irisits and terrible sinus infections. The pains were shooting around my eyes. My vision was so bad, my eye doctor prescribed bifocals. If I moved my eyes, it would cause pain. After getting rid of both infections, my vision had not returned. My new Fibro doctor ran some different tests and found that I had no calcium in my blood, and low in magnesium, zinc, B12, and other nutrients. Plus I had toxic levels of aluminum in my system. Any way, after taking the suppliments to replenish my system, my pain stopped in my eyes, and my vision has returned, and no headaches. Also I started going to a chiropractor and getting massage therapy. I don't know about you, but after months of pain, I was willing to tried anything to get it to stop. In fact, I was so bad that I had to take a leave of absence from my teaching job. Traditional medicine was not working so I tried alternative methods which have been working for me. Hope some of this helps.
  7. sybil

sybil New Member

i can get intense pain in my eyeball,without a headache!

i used to suffer from chronic migraine and used to take pitzofen every night.but since i was DX'd with FMS,though i have headaches most of the time,they aren't migraines.the migraines i used to have were accompanied by auras and i had to lie in the dark and vomited a lot!
    a detatched retina can cause eye pain,but it is usually accompanied by tiny black dots in the field of vision.if you get these symptoms you should go into hospital as an emergency,

sybilxxx