Changes in Handwriting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Jan 18, 2010.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I've never seen this mentioned before. Just wondering if anyone else has a problem with handwriting since being sick. Like I find my signature can look totally different alot. My handwriting is not consistent. Sometimes, I pretty much just scrawl the letters or what I write just isn't even legible anymore. I usually worry that checks I write won't get cashed because my signature looks different nearly every time. Prior to getting sick, I always had good, neat handwriting. Now, it's a weird mess.
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i try and keep a journal, just for my sanity. i went back recenly and tried to read some of the stuff, YIKES!!!
    i don't know who wrote it,lol.

your not alone tea, the worse i feel the handwriting goes out the window, ooh and my fingerprints are almost gone now:( thats another wierd Symptom.
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

I have noticed this for years. At one time they thought I had Parkinsons!

Don't worry about your cks,mine look like 10 different people wrote them. I too had great handwriting once,people would ask me to do writing for them. Now I can't even spell.

weird about fingerprints-gone also.

this whole dd is a weird mess!!
  4. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

Yep, noticed, too, for years. I make a grocery list or a note to myself so I wouldn't forget something and I can't read it !!LOL
    My fingerprints are gone but I was a hairdresser for 40 years and really grateful for spell check. I use to be a spelling whiz and with typing my hands will get so spastic that even spell check doesn't know what I was trying to write. All part of this. Just saw your comment on signing checks, banks don't check them anymore it all goes through a computer. I grabbed my husbands business checks- I never sign the signature card- and the bank cashed them then the account started bouncing like crazy! but the bank only honored like 3 of them.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2010]
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Yes, my handwriting changed as my CFS progressed. On the days when I am extremely exhausted I find it really hard to write. My hand tends to jerk every couple of letters.
  6. simonedb

simonedb Member

I never had really neat handwriting but it is strange how it changes, I have to keep notes at work and it looks like different people wrote them on dif days, strangest thing, started wondering if I'm like sybil!

I don't know about my prints, what is that about? I will have to test that out, they do look pretty worn and polished.
  7. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

It does look like Parkinson's! Mine is very cramped and irregular. Hard to read.

My hands are very painful and gripping a pen or pencil is difficult. Sometimes I can only write a few lines and then have to stop because of the pain. And I have a friend who I keep in touch with by letter. Writing can be a painful task!

I'd love to know what type of pens you all have found that aren't so hard to grip.

8. Achyten

Achyten New Member

You know what? My handwriting has always been so bad,, not that it was before this DD..
    I use to have very nice hand writing before. Everyone always commented on it. My hand would jerk so bad i'd have to quit writing. I seemed to print a little better, don't know why.

My doctor put me on Requip, for my RLS,, and I"ve only been on it for 4 days,, and already I feel so much better... with everything,, pain and otherwise.. But,,, the weird thing is,, my handwriting is returning to what it use to be like. I can walk straighter,,and harder, I"m so shocked I can feel my legs and feet hit the floor with more strength... its amazing!!! Before it hurt to walk,, my legs were weak and wobbly.. I cannot believe how i'm feeling! Things look brighter for me,, and the mornings are much better strength wise,, and can get out of bed earlier than I was. Not that Requip is a cure or anything like that,, but i'm doing so much better,, and requip is also for Parkinsons,,, thats why I was surprised to see it mentioned here.
    And it does make sense,,, doesn't it? I don't know if anyone is on requip or not,, but this is my first try at taking it.
    Hugssss, achyten

9. simonedb

simonedb Member

hey achyten
    is requip very hard to tolerate? comparable to anything more common?
  10. sunnyslumber

sunnyslumber New Member

Yea I have had this for a while now. It is irritating since I have to put so much effort into making it look decent but, I suppose I hadn't thought about it like that before.
  11. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

same here.....I'm not so worried about my signature - many people have horrible signatures, but I do worry that my check will be cashed for the wrong amt, bc I cannot really make the numbers and written out numbers legible......on my very best days I can manage to write a sentence or two failry legibly (and that is only printing, not cursive), on my worst days I can't write anything at hand wants to jerk like crazy and it just won't make the motions I need it to.....I used to send a ton of cards to people (for holidays and b-days, but also just out of the blue), now it literally takes two or three sitting to be able to write a very short message inside and address the outside of the envelope - if I try to do it all at once, forget abotu being bale to read it, and even doing it this way, it is still really bad

my typing is also getting worse and worse.....between that & getting nauseous, dizzy, heaches, etc, at the computer, I am so worried that I will soon not be able to even be online much at all (& I will be devastated if I cannot use the computer - I will be completely cut off from people most all of the time)
  12. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

I am a pen and paper addict. OK I admit it, I buy pens and paper of every type just because they are beautiful, colorful, or just because I can. My father is a commercial artist and calligrapher so handwriting is very important to me, it is genetically beautiful. My handwriting was one thing that was ALWAYS complimented on as beautiful.

As my CFS has progressed my handwriting has diminished. Yes just one more thing to be taken away. The more exhausted or sick I am the weaker my hand is to control my writing.

What a drag.
  13. Achyten

Achyten New Member

Hi simon,,, Well I"ve been on Requip for 5th day today,, and no sideffects yet,, except for maybe being more relaxed and sleep better.

I did notice a bit of drowsiness with the very first pill, and maybe the second one too,, thats about it.

As far as likening it to anything else,,,,, maybe clonazepam. I also take that one 0.5mg a day.

Hope this helps.. achyten
  14. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I always prided myself on my neat pretty handwriting.I always got top marks in English at school.I NEVER made any spelling mistakes and would even do the crosswords neatly lol.

But I am now the same as everyone else here.I write quickly because my hands hurt and ache and it looks so scuffy and illegible.

At Christmas I paid my great-neice to write all my cards out lol.
    I bought a calligraphy set for myself but it has never been opened.I used to love writing with it years ago.

And who took my Spelling Bee brain away??
    I cant spell anything anymore.....I always check what I have typed here and go back to change things.Sometimes the spelling is wrong but it looks right to me.

I always thought about writing a book years ago but I cant even write a sentence now lol!
    It is strange that this has happened to us.I guess we will never know why.

15. Si Titran

Si Titran New Member

This is me! I've NEVER had what I'd call good looking handwriting. But if you compared my handwriting from back, say 10 years ago, when i was in the middle of high school, to what is is today.... its scribble. I type messy too, although I think I've always done that. Its easier for me to type now than write. To grip things with my hands hurt a lot.

I also think that my finger prints are just gone from me peeling my skin for so many years.

16. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

YES! Thank God I dont write many checks, and the ones I do write, I find that I put off writting until I practice and I know that it will come out right. Very scary!