Changing antidepressants - need advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dimarc, May 1, 2003.

1. dimarc

dimarc New Member

Hi,
    I am new to this site, but not new to Fibromyalgia. I have been on Wellbutrin and Zoloft. Due to a lot of weight gain (not to menition dexcreased sex drive) my doctor is weaning me off of Zoloft . Does anyone know of another antidepressant that I can take along with my Wellbutrin that won't cause weight gain. She mentioned Celexa. Has anyone had any luck with that one, or perhaps another one. My body is starting to feel the weaning. I'm very irratable.

Thanks
  2. kardog

kardog New Member

I've been on a drug roller coaster for the past year for severe depression, fatigue and fibro. I took Prozac for about 4 yrs and it quit working so Dr. said I needed a break off of it for at least 6 months . Tried Zoloft, Luvox, Lexapro(the new version of Celexa), Wellbutrin SR and I was a zombie on all of them. The Wellbutrin made me too irritable, it was supposed to give me energy! Now for the last 6weeks I'm back to Prozac 40mg and 2 weeks ago started Provigil 200mg for the fatigue. I must say the Provigil has gotton me moving again and improved my mood. It definitely has a stimulant effect, but not a jittery one. I hope it continues to help. I have always had bad side effects from the othe SSRIs, mostly sleepiness and weight gain. Prozac remains the best one for me. Good Luck, I know it's tough waiting for the drugs to work. Karla
  3. Bacci

Bacci New Member

Isn't it fun to run through the whole gamut of anti-depressants to find which one works for you?! I know the worst part is when you have to taper off one before going on another. I am not sure if I am the one you want answering this question but I will put in my two cents:) I have taken Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Trazadone, Wellbutrin etc. I had the most success with Paxil but also have taken Celexa without weight gain--it just didn't do much for me with respect to depression.

I am currently tapering off Paxil because of a book I just read called Prozac Backlash by Joseph Glenmullen. It has to do with all the side effects and possible long term complications of SSRI's and other anti-depressants. I know it may not be the book you want right now---I mean who wants to hear about all the bad things when you need help, but I found it insightful and it may be informative to you too. It has steered me in the direction of more alternative and natural methods of dealing with depression. Of course there are all kinds of things you know of...exercise (impossible), diet, getting rid of alcohol/caffeine, starting pyschotherapy, etc. But...if you really want a natural alternative in a pill/liquid form, you may want to talk to you r MD about sam-E, St. Johnswort and Valerian. My MD and I met yesterday and i am going to go through the whole Paxil taper, then wait until I get back to my normal depressive baseline, and then possibly start sam-E. It is a natural substance and has virtually no side effects which is a huge bonus!

I really suggest you take the time to do a little research and reading. I read the book in four days so I could talk to my MD at our last visit. It was so worth it.

Good Luck!!
    Bacci
  4. dimarc

dimarc New Member

Thank-you both for your replies. I will definately have some questions for my doctor. I've always been worried about the long term effects. I have been on them for so long. I've tried different ones too. That's depressing in itself.
    Let me know how the natural ones work. I've heard of them, but have never known anyone who was actually on them to ask them how they worked.
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Dimarc...I have been on Lexapro...which is very similar in chemical make up to Celexa. From what I have read one of the main differences are that lower dosages work on the Lexapro. I think they differ in one isotope if my memory serves me correctly. I found the info in a web search. I have not had ANY weight gain. my mood is well being is great-----but I can tell you the only side effect I have had was the typical sexual ones.

Best wishes, LL
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to the board. I do not take antidepressants, but I recall reading on the board about someone who replaced them with 'SAM-e Kickstart', it worked very well from what I remember about the discussion.

I would imagine it is sold at health food stores, or maybe you could do a web search for it.

I doubt if it has any side effects like an SSRI would have.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl

P.S. _Heres some information on SAM-e for you to read. ____________________________________________

NutraLife™ SAM-e • SAM-e Kickstart Rx™

About SAM-e

SAM-e ( S-adenosylmethionine / S-adenosyl- L-methionine / adomet / ademetionine / SAMe / SAMMY ) is the 'miracle' product that caused a flurry of 'good press' articles when it was first brought to the U.S. in 1999.

SAM-e is one of the critical compounds that is naturally occurring and is produced in our bodies. In fact SAM-e is found in every living organism. SAM-e has been available in several European countries for over 20 years as a prescription drug. It has proven to be effective and is being prescribed for depression, liver function, and for increased mobility for those with symptoms of osteoarthritis. In some studies it has been reported to have a lessening effect on dementia.

SAM-e has been available in the United States as a dietary supplement since 1999.
    We can say that SAM-e in sufficient quantity promotes:

An improvement in mood or well-being for most people.*

An improvement in liver function for some people.

An increase in mobility or a lessening of the loss of mobility that is believed to result from reduced pain and stiffness in the joints.
    MOOD

SAM-e has proven to have a direct positive impact on most depressive states (with the exception of manic triggering in bipolar individuals). This impact comes with fewer and lesser side effects than commonly prescribed tri-cyclic anti-depressants. SAM-e supplementation appears to have positive and significant results within one to two weeks.

SAM-e, B-12, and folate levels are apparently tied together. Depressive individuals frequently show a reduced level of folate and a corresponding direct reduction in SAM-e levels. It is for this reason plus the lowering of homocysteine that folate, B-12, and B-6 supplemention is recommended along with S-adenosyl-methionine. Methionine has been mentioned as a precursor or needed component of SAM-e production.

Liver Function

Studies indicate that liver function can be dramatically improved with SAM-e supplementation for those that are in need of it. It is suggested that any one with concern about their liver function study the literature available and consult with their doctor about the benefits of S-adenosyl methionine. Liver dysfunction results from many causes including chemical (alcohol and solvents) and excessive consumption of certain drugs (acetaminophen and steroids) and lead intake.

Joint Function

SAM-e supplementation has shown to promote anti-inflammatory and cartilage building properties which enhance joint health and provide for better mobility. SAM-e supplementation is believed to increase proteoglycan molecules that are important in the cartilage building process.

Additional SAM-e information

SAM-e (S-adenosyl L Methionine) occurs naturally in most body cells and fluids. It is important and plays a major role in biochemical reactions. The enzymatic transmethylation process contributes to the production, activation, and metabolism of DNA, hormones, neurotransmitters, nucleic acids, proteins, phospholipids, etc...

SAM-e that is made by the body or resulting from supplementation is metabolized into S-adenosylhomocysteine by the transfer of a 'methyl-group' to other compounds that accept the methyl-group (neurotransmitters and phospholipids). Hydrolysis of S-adenosylhomocysteine results in homocysteine and then cysteine. Cysteine is 'transulphurated' to sulphates, taurine, and glutathione. With sufficient 'B' vitamins the homocysteine is converted to methionine, one of the components for the body to produce more SAM-e.

SAM-e usually produces minimal side effects. Minor digestive tract discomfort is reported by a few of the SAM-e users. For these individuals it is suggested that they take their SAM-e after consuming a small amount of food. SAM-e should be enteric coated to allow the SAM-e to not be dissolved in the stomach where the benefical ingredients can be altered by stomach acid.

A person that is young and in top condition is believed to produce sufficient amounts of the natural compounds, including SAM-e, and additional oral supplementation is not believed to be warranted.

* Individuals that are under medical treatment for bipolar depression should, without fail, consult with their doctor before taking SAM-e products.

[This Message was Edited on 05/01/2003]
  7. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

If you decide to try this for depression it is strongly advised by researchers to do this under a doctor's supervision. With Certain types of major depressive disorders such as Bi-Polar, SAMe can cause adverse effects and trigger a manic episode. It is supposed to be effective for mild depression and other types of specific depression, such as that related to Parkinson's Disease.

It is very expensive and not all SAMe products are equal in content of the compound and the actual amount can vary widely. You must research and find a product that has been found to carry truthful labeling. Some independent companies, such as the website ComsumerLab, have rated several different brands of SAMe.

Lane
  8. sarahfemme

sarahfemme New Member

I've taken Celexa in the past and had some success with it. It's a relatively "clean" drug in terms of side effects and usually doesn't interfere with your libido. Adding that plus keeping the Wellbutrin-which has een shown to actually increase ibido in depressed patients-may do the trick. I wish you luck!

-Sarah
  9. dimarc

dimarc New Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice. I am so glad I found this site. It's wonderful communicating with others who actually understand. Someone who hasn't gone through all this could not possibly understand all the pain and frustration that comes along with this. Not to mention that I have degenerative disc disease and a herniated disc in my back.
    Thanks again for the great support!
  10. Dayle

Dayle New Member

been on EFFEXOR it is suppose to really help with Fibo & I feel that it really has. However I am now on the lowest dose possible & would recommend to everyone to keep your dose down because anti-depressants all have side effects. I took COGNITIVE BEHAVIOR THERAPY & that really helped with depression. Also exercising helps alot. Mostly I just walk, because it's about all I can handle.
    Love,,Day