Changing my major

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by toniad, Sep 12, 2002.

1. toniad

toniad New Member

I've been thinking a lot about how I've been treated over the past 3 years by the medical community and others, since the diagnosis of my assumed hysteria of unidentifiable chronic pain and fatigue. I'm angrier than maybe I have been in a long time, and as we all know, anger is a good motivator.

I am changing my major in school. I might not ever get out of school, at this rate, but if I do, I'm going to be a Disability Rights Advocate. I was thinking today in the shower about all this stuff, why I'm here, how lousy I feel about how I've been treated, and thought, why am I going to teach people in school? What will that do for me? I'm going to help people like me get the care and attention and RESPECT we deserve. I have a new plan for my life. I am excited to help people who desperately need it.

Now, I bet that adds 3 years to my college career...lol. But, it will definitely be worth it when I'm done.

Thanks for listening you all!
    Well wishes

(an angry) Tonia D.

2. toniad

toniad New Member

I've been thinking a lot about how I've been treated over the past 3 years by the medical community and others, since the diagnosis of my assumed hysteria of unidentifiable chronic pain and fatigue. I'm angrier than maybe I have been in a long time, and as we all know, anger is a good motivator.

I am changing my major in school. I might not ever get out of school, at this rate, but if I do, I'm going to be a Disability Rights Advocate. I was thinking today in the shower about all this stuff, why I'm here, how lousy I feel about how I've been treated, and thought, why am I going to teach people in school? What will that do for me? I'm going to help people like me get the care and attention and RESPECT we deserve. I have a new plan for my life. I am excited to help people who desperately need it.

Now, I bet that adds 3 years to my college career...lol. But, it will definitely be worth it when I'm done.

Thanks for listening you all!
    Well wishes

(an angry) Tonia D.

3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

So happy to hear you sounding so much better than other day (was that yesterday?? lol). I think you would do very well, you write well, and definitely seem to have not only compassion, but the knowledge of actually "being there". You can never truly help & understand someone unless you've experienced what they're going thru.

There is a new member here, within the past couple days, & I believe that's what she did/does. Try a search messages under "advocate" maybe, and see if it pops up. If not, try "patient rights". It would be within the past week.

Pat yourself on the back for pulling yourself out of the "pits" and doing something positive, instead of giving up. Hopefully you won't have to add too many more years on to your educ., I'm sure that not only your general studies classes, but even some of your education classes could be counted. Best wishes, and keep us posted on how you're doing. Michele
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Do a post to dhcpolwnk...she's the one I was thinking of. She may be able to give you some tips. Michele
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Tonia! What a wonderful idea, and a tremendous help you will be to others.

We have mostly all been insulted, hurt, or just made plain angry about how we are treated by the 'powers that be' whether its the medical profession or the SSD, etc.

I so hope you get to fulfill your dreams.

Shalom, Shirl