Changing over anti-depressant.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi Everyone.

I am present coming off anti-depressant Remeron. On Tuesday i am told to start taking 50mg of new anti-depressant prothidan and also on the last week of remeron at 15mg. My question is.... I have heard that you should come off and start new drugs very slowly. If that is the case should i finish the remeron completely first and should i start on 25mg of prothidan at a slower rate?
    Bare in mind i am told to do this change by a pychartrist who dont believe in ME.

Shazzy
  2. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

is a very delicate matter. I am not familiar with the ones you are taking. Who prescribed them? If it was your shrink, he/she should have given you explicit instructions on changing over. If you have any doubts, I would consult my PCP or a medical professional that you trust.

When I switched, I lowered the current while starting the new. This was for a week. Finally when I was at the lowest dose of the first and went to every other day while continuing with the 2nd one. At the end, I completely dropped the first and was fully on the 2nd.

Check with your doctor! It is not something that you want to guess about. Lisa
  3. bees

bees New Member

As far as I know usually you reduce the amount over days or weeks before stopping and have a break before starting a new one. That's what happened to me, I've just come off Cipramil and onto Prozac and I went alternate days before stoping cipramil and had a few days of nothing before starting the prozac. I don't know anything about Remeromn though. Have you tried looking it up on netdoctor? I find they help sometimes.