Charlie horses in chest??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by tonijo, Sep 23, 2002.

1. tonijo

tonijo New Member

Does anyone else get what feel like a charlie horse in thier chest. It feels like my back bone is trying to pull my chest through it.Or mybe my chest is trying to pull my back bone through. Afterwards it feels as if something is laying on my chest. As in maybe a small cat. I have been checked for heart problems and they find nothing.
    tonijo
  2. tonijo

tonijo New Member

Does anyone else get what feel like a charlie horse in thier chest. It feels like my back bone is trying to pull my chest through it.Or mybe my chest is trying to pull my back bone through. Afterwards it feels as if something is laying on my chest. As in maybe a small cat. I have been checked for heart problems and they find nothing.
    tonijo
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This happens sometimes when I bend forward. The pain of this cramp is very painful and just about takes my breath away. Fortunately, if I straighten up for a while, it goes away.

Love, Mikie
  4. pippi

pippi New Member

Severe pain that starts in chest then radiates to extremities is what put me out of work in spring. Had x-ray which revealed nothing. Months later told by a doc that I had pulled sternum muscle. A severe 'flare-up' for me is accompanied by this pain that can put me in bed for several days. This is my 1st posting. After 5 years of increasing pain here, there, everywhere, have just been told I have fibro. The only thing I have found to help is complete bed rest until the tenderness in the chest region is near abated. If I attempt even moderate activity prior I will be back to square one quickly.
  5. SaraD

SaraD New Member

When I sneeze I automatically grab my chest, because I instantly get a charlie horse, muscle cramp. Drives me crazy but part of the this life...
    Sarad
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is different from the "charley horse" in the chest muscles. The costochondritis is an inflamation and hurts in a different way (I know; I've had both). It often lasts waaaaay longer and can radiate pain to the back and arms. The charley horse is more localized and goes away faster.

Love, Mikie
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I also get that same feeling, after having the heart checked, and nothing was wrong there, I started using a mild rub ointment, with a gentle massage, then a heating pad on low across my chest for this, and I try to stay in bed till it passes. It always helps. If it gets too bad, I will take an Advil gel cap, and a low dose of Xanax, it relaxes the muscle.

I will get this from bending over, so I have learned to simply stoop down from the knees and not bend over anymore, it takes time to learn to do this, as instint tells us to just bend and pick up whatever it is on the floor!.

HOpe you get some relief soon.

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 09/24/2002]
  8. herblady

herblady New Member

i have this. i particularly get them when i cough while i'm bending over. it hurts and is a real nuisance. cindi
  9. ArkyFarmGirl

ArkyFarmGirl New Member

This is a great description of what I OFTEN feel. I can so relate to not really knowing if the pain originates in the back or front. It feels like a tight elastic band is pulling from both sides. I also describe it as a feeling that something is sitting on my chest. I can't really offer any advice except rest and trying not to get freaked out about it but thanks so much for posting...it makes me feel so much better to know that I'm not alone!