Chat feature?

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback, Questions & Suggestions' started by tooks, Jun 27, 2013.

1. tooks

tooks Member

Wondered if you were thinking of bringing in Envolve or another chat program? Helps for those who just need to talk to someone when feeling especially alone.
    PHXenMaster likes this.
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Isn't this what the Conversation feature is? jam
  3. tooks

tooks Member

Nope! :)

Chat is "real time" back and forth--either privately with one person or with a group. It can be really nice talking with a group of people from all over the world.
  4. jaminhealth

With the previous "system" we had the chat feature and it was hardly ever used as I recall. I never used it. With people all over the world, it is not an easy feat to get people on at one time zone...

I think 4-5 people can be involved in the Conversation feature here....
  5. tooks

tooks Member

When I use chat is usually has people from 4 or 5 countries in it--for some it is morning, others evening, some just can't sleep and it is the middle of the night. I find it a really helpful feature. Also, if someone posts something and you want to discuss it more privately (some things you don't want the world to see!) you can open a chat with them and type back and forth instantly in real time, exchange links, whatever. It is more like have a real conversation with someone because you know that they are linked with you (even though electronically) wherever they are in the world.

It has seemed to work well on other forums. Often groups of forum friends "drop in" and either discuss health matters, share their days or whatever. You can also open a chat on a specific topic, everyone will see that a chat is open on that topic, and those interested can chat together.
    paulac7 likes this.
  6. joanierav

joanierav Member

i am missing the chat a lot. most of the regulars have disappeared over there. at one time we really had a tight knit group over there. now its rarely that you can "catch" someone there.

and jam its much different than this. when talking over there, you dont have to wait for an answer. its conversation like the person is there right with you.. and when 4 or more are there and discussing a subject it is so much fun.

this is the first time ive posted with the new board. i hope ive dont it right, and you all can read this.

hello friends. nice to read all your posts. joanierav
  7. tooks

tooks Member

We probably know each other--if we had chat, we could check it out!

P.S. I tried to "tag you"--that option must not be activated here cause it didn't work!
  8. tooks

tooks Member

Thanks! I followed your directions, Diane, and yes, there is a chat room there! It is a bit hidden though. Some of the other chat platforms show at the bottom of the forum page and you can see immediately if there are people there (how many) and whether there is an active chat going on.

For me this type of set-up would make the chat feature more accessible and attractive.

Thanks for pointing out that there is chat available.
  9. jaminhealth

Boy, it's so frustrating, I'm looking for a particular post and don't know where it is....and not about to look in everything...it's about itchy feet etc....anyone know where it is...jam
  10. hangininthere

hangininthere Active Member

11. jaminhealth

Is there a way to get rid of the pop up chat boxes...I don't participate in the chats and the pop ups are annoying....
  12. tooks

tooks Member

You can sign out of chat and they will disappear. Click on "x (x standing for the number of people) people here" (the box on the right hand bottom of the page), and a list of people signed into chat will pop up. At the top of this list there is a little down arrow. Click on that and you will see "turn off." Just click on turn off and the boxes will disappear. You can turn it back on later if you want by clicking on a tiny icon in the lower right corner of the page.
    Nanie46 likes this.
  13. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I logged in tonight & chatted with someone in the chat room. We used to have a lot of
    good times on the chat board. Yes, a lot of people have moved on, but I hope others
    will take the time so we can get to know one another better.

Have a good day!
    Bead
  14. joanierav

joanierav Member

yes i got to speak to some people a few nites ago too. sorry i missed you bead, i remember speaking to you many times in the past. nice meeting you tooks and hanginthere. it was a lot of fun. joanie
  15. hangininthere

hangininthere Active Member

Hi Joanie, thanks. Yes, nice meeting you, and Tooks too, that was so fun.

I had clicked on the Chat icon, not knowing it would put me right in the chat room - why I thought that I'll never know - was just wanting to see what it looked like. Because I don't normally do chat rooms, too fast moving for me, I can't keep up with who's saying what.

Everyone was so nice. So glad I accidentally joined in, haha. That was fun.

Patti