Chattanooga Doctor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by petcat, May 24, 2008.

1. petcat

petcat New Member

I am desperately looking for a good doctor in Chattanooga. Could you please share the name of your doctor with me and tell me a little about him/her? I was just told by my neuro that she doesn't think I have MS but have Fibro. Even my neuro, who is supposed to be the best, won't listen to anything I have to say. I can't stand the thought of trying to find a good rheumatologist because I have had such bad luck with so many doctors. I have been searching for answers for 7 years and most of the time when I go to a doctor I feel like I am being blown off. I feel like they don't want to deal with me because I don't look sick. Too bad they can't see what we feel like and not just what we look like.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/28/2008]
  2. petcat

petcat New Member

3. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Bump for petcat
  4. terrisews

terrisews New Member

I haven't been dx yet, my appt is on 6/11. I'm going to University Rhuematologists at Erlanger. I'm seeing Dr. Elizabeth Turner. You could try them or wait till I go and I'll let you know how it goes.

Terri in TN
  5. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

For rheumatology, I see Dr. Craig at Arthritis Associates, at North Gate. He tried different anti-depressants with me, but none of them worked for me, and the side-effects were too bad for to handle.

I have also been diagnosed with ME/CFS (myalgic encephalopathy/chronic fatigue syndrome). The doctor who has been treating me for the symptoms is Dr. C. Michael Orquia. He is super good. I wonder if you have ME/CFS also, as well as FMS? Maybe you could research it online.

Neither of these two doctors knew much about ME/CFS, but they both accepted literature about it that I gave them, and both were willing to learn about it. I consider them both very good doctors.

By the way, you might be interested to know that there are two support groups, that I know of, in the Chattanooga area. One is at Bayside Baptist on Highway 58, which meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 6:30, I believe. The other one meets at Benchmark Physical Therapy on Old Lee Highway in Ooltewah on the second Tuesday of every month at 7p.m. Both are excellent support, with great leaders and great members. We welcome you, and hope to see you there, as well as anyone else who needs fellowship and support; all are welcomed!

Love and prayers,

Debbie
  6. terrisews

terrisews New Member

I'm in the Hopewell community and I am so glad to know you are close and that there are support groups. I think I will try out that Ooltewah one once I am dx. Don't know much about ME/CFS will have to research

Let's talk offline - how do we do that?

Terri in TN
  7. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I actually am not sure how to go about doing that... I'll check out the rules or ask a moderator how to do that. I suppose you can send me an e-mail. I'll check and see, and if it's allowed, I'll post my e-mail address. I'd like to talk with you, too!

Prayers,

Debbie
  8. terrisews

terrisews New Member

Can't wait to hear from you!

Terri in TN
  9. petcat

petcat New Member

I don't know anyone with Fibro or ME/CFS and would really love to have some online support. When you get an answer concerning sharing email addresses, I would love to correspond with both of you. By the way, I also heard of a Support Group at Christ United Methodist on the 1st Thursday of every month at 6:30. I think it is in East Brainard. None of the support groups are close to me but I think I might try to go to one or two just for information. I am going to my PCP again today to get his recommendations.
  10. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I sure will pass any info along when I find out! Wow, three of us in the same area! I wonder if there are any more?

Thanks for the info about the other support group, too. It's really great to have this kind of support!

I've got to go get ready for an appointment, but I will check back later. God bless your day!

Debbie
  11. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I heard back from the moderator, Sharon, and this is what she wrote:

Exchanging email addresses 06/01/08 05:58 PM

Hi...The safest way to exchange with someone is to arrange a time to meet in one of our chat rooms, so that it remains with just that person. In chat, there is the ability to pass on a private message, too, if that is a concern.

Hope this helps!
    Sharon
    ((((((((((soft hugs))))))))))

Thanks, Sharon, for the info!

If we could arrange a time to meet in the chat room, we could send a private message to each other, with our e-mail addresses or phone numbers, and then go from there.

I'm free most every day, and can work around your schedules, so just let me know a time that's convenient for you. I have been on the chat board once or twice, but I'm not sure how to use the private message feature; I'm sure I can probably figure it out, though.

Looking forward to hearing from you! God bless!

Debbie
  12. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

I've been seeing Dr. Streko for about a year. He's a GP not a rheumatologist, but he "gets it," and has been great with both me and my mom. I'm on gabapentin, wellbutrin and zoloft, soma as needed, low-dose propranolol (beta-blocker) as needed and for sleep, and a .5 xanax at bedtime. It's been a really good combination for me, and my mother (age 75) is on a similar (but not identical) regimen.

Debbie - I have been to the Ooltewah support group several times.... I'm trying to put a face with your name but the "brainfog" is interfering... where do you sit??? Mom and I usually sit facing the door - two or three seats over from Carol's table.

best regards,
    LAyla (Lee Ann)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2008]
  13. petcat

petcat New Member

Dr Streko was my doctor when I started having so many problems years ago. He was one of the best doctors I have ever seen. I had to stop seeing him because I physically could not drive for the hour it took me to get to his office. My son is now his patient but doesn't have to see him often. I was so glad to hear that he was going to him.
  14. petcat

petcat New Member

I don't think I can get into the chat room at work because we have so many blocks on our computers. I might need some instuctions also. I just clicked on the chat button and it kept trying to go immediately into the chat room and wouldn't let me read the instructions. Would it be possible to try for one evening at around 8:00? That would give me time to get settled for the evening and still have time to make sure I can get into the chat room. I have used a chat room before but it has been many years. By the way, my name is Peggy.

15. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

Sorry to hear Streko is too far away for you. He is one doc who will truly listen... a very good and too rare quality in an MD.

The next meeting of the Ooltewah support group is Tues. June 10 (week from tomorrow), at Benchmark Physical Therapy, 7 p.m. Join us if you can!

Lee Ann
  16. terrisews

terrisews New Member

This is sounding great. Let me know when we will chat and in which room and I try to be there. I don't know if I can make the support group meeting in Ooltewah on Tues, because I have a DR appt in Chatt on Wed. and you know about spacing out that energy that we seem to be so lacking of. I'll keep watching for chat room time!

Terri
  17. petcat

petcat New Member

Have you been in the chat rooms before? I am assuming that we just click on the chat button at the top of the screen? When I do that it takes me to a page with several choices to choose from. When I click on fibromyalgia it gives me the option of 4 or 5 different rooms and one is for fibro. I just want to make sure I am in the right place. I don't want to miss out.
  18. terrisews

terrisews New Member

This is how I get into the chat rooms. On the home page in the left hand column there is a chat room choice, click on that. It will take you to a page that you will have to log in on, after you log in, choose the fibro room and they everyone will welcome you. Think I will go there now.

Terri in TN
  19. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

Hi Terri, Peggy, & Debbie...
    I'd love to meet up with y'all in the chat room but I don't have internet access at home, and no chat allowed at work. If anyone is interested in maybe scheduling a chat time in the evening, I can use my aunt's or dad's PC to participate. Let me know!

Lee Ann

PS - I got up this morning NOT hurting anywhere and even feeling fairly rested!!! I don't know where days like this come from, but I'll take 'em when I can get 'em!!!
  20. petcat

petcat New Member

Hey Terri,

Sorry I missed you last night. I logged off the computer before you sent your message. Can we try the chat room tonight at 8:00 or 9:00?

Debbie,

If you get a chance to check the message boards, leave us a message and let us know if you can get to the chat room tonight.

I am looking forward to getting in touch with all of you.

By the way, Debbie, I went to my PCP and he recommended that I see Dr. Craig. I was glad he recommended someone that I had heard of. I am not sure yet when the appointment will be. My PCP did give me some meds to try until I see Dr. Craig. I hope these work. I am going to the beach with my husband and daughter in a couple of weeks and I always end up in severe pain because I prop myself up and read. Then I am miserable for the rest of the trip.