Cheap magnesium WOW really works, go figure

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I went to a new rheumatologist this past week. He told me I was taking the wrong magnesium

I have been using Natural Calm powdered magnesium for about a year now. I can't remember if it has magenisum gluconate or citrate, but it fizzes when you mix it with water. I usually buy the huge bottle, dump it into a container and measure out two teaspoons, so I threw out the bottle and couldn't remember which type of magnesium it is.

Well, I told him I take it for sleeping, but I could only take two teaspoons or else it would give me really bad diarrhea. He wants me to take Nature Bounty magnesium oxide at 500 milligrams per day. I was getting about 400 with the other magnesium.

At first I thought, a cheap magnesium like this is a waste of my time, although not my money, it really is cheap, only $5.99 for 100 caplets compared with my Natural Calm which cost me about $32.00 for a 4 month supply.

I told him I was sensitive to supplements as well, and he convinced me to take 250 milligrams during the day, then another 250 milligrams about 2 hours before I go to bed, so that is what I did.

This works. Couldn't believe it. I feel less achey, I was able to go to sleep, it gives me energy, yet calms me enough for sleeping. I hope this isn't a fluke or something, but it has helped with pain and muscle tightness better than the Natural Calm did.

He also wants me to continue with my CoQ10 at 200 milligrams. He took another Vitamin D test, a blood magnesium serum test, and a test for phosphorus. He didn't say much else for now, but to see him again in 2 months. He was older, hard to understand sometimes, but gave me a thorough exam.

He also told me that I am double jointed and was pre-disposed to having FM, not sure what he meant by that, I didn't ask at the time, I was actually having some brain fog going on, and getting my words out was difficult for me that day.

I always thought magnesium oxide was not all that great, but maybe different forms work for different people, who knows, I just hope the better feeling lasts. The only thing I didn't like about the visit was that he focused a lot on my muscles, but didn't say much about brain fog, or he seemed to not be too interested in that right now. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

That's really interesting about the magnesium. I've been taking magnesium citrate from Swanon's because I've read that citrate is the best form for absorption. I don't have FM, but do have low magnesium and CFS, and anything that helps with energy would be a blessing.

Thanks for passing on this info - I may give the Nature Bounty magnsium oxide a try - good price too!

3. PainSux

PainSux New Member

Thanks for the info. I had purchased some magnesium to help w/sleep & it made no difference. I eventually stopped taking it. I'll give this a try because I have really bad insomnia.
  4. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I hope this really does help you guys. I just never thought of taking Magnesium Oxide because I thought it was less absorbed in the body, maybe it is, but for now it is helping me a lot.

The doc wanted me to take 500 milligrams, because I don't usually take high doses of anything all at once, I split up the doseage, but, maybe if you tried to take the 500 milligrams a few hours before bed, it may help more, but maybe not, I guess we have to experiment with what can work with us. I am just glad he recommended something natural and good for you such as magnesium rather than walking off with yet another prescription for antidepressants, which I believe never get to the root of FM anyway. Glad to have helped, at least a little. Hugs, Chelz.
  5. destinygsmom

destinygsmom New Member

Hi! This is destinygsmom, I'm new! Alot of what you are taking sounds like what I have to take for my condition, so I was wondering if you'd be willing to share with me your main diagnosis? Are we allowed to give contact information, if we find someone with our own condition; to start a support group just for that condition, do you know? Like can we give our phone or email address out to such individuals? My real first name?
  6. dmholmes

dmholmes New Member

Absorption varies of course, great that oxide is working for you. You are right that it is the least absorbable magnesium, unfortunate since it has the highest elemental magnesium of all forms. Magnesium chloride is considered the best absorbed, then the chelated forms, and then citrate. The Natural Calm is a combination of carbonate and citrate, it's the only one that gave me stomach pain. And I've tried about 10 kinds of magnesium.

Another option with the magnesium chloride is the oil applied to skin. Gets around the stomach absorption issues, and I read it increases DHEA also due to this. I use the oil and take a chelated magnesium from Jigsaw Health. I've taken a ton of supplements in the last couple of years and nothing did much for me except magnesium.

A couple of good books are The Magnesium Factor by Mildred Seelig and The Magnesium Miracle by Carolyn Dean.