Cheap Pain Reliever

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sniffles, Nov 29, 2005.

1. sniffles

sniffles New Member

I am fairly new to the board, and enjoy reading everyones posts. This may have already been suggested by someone, but I wanted to tell you about what I use sometimes when the pain is really getting me down.

I have lots of problems health wise. Fibro. cf, myoficacial syndrome, essential tremors, degerated disc in lower back and reoccuring bouts with gout in both knees and I need a knee replacement, but the drs. refuse to do the surgery because I always have complacations with any operations I have.

Anyway, I am trying to live with all these different kinds of pain and it gets pretty hard at times.

I read about using CASTOR OIL for pain and I was willing to give anything that was legal a try, so I tried it on my knees first. It worked!!! You just rub it on where the pain is twice a day and it really cuts the pain in 1/2 or sometimes it stops it for a few hrs.

I have used it on my back for the severe sharp nightime pain and also it quiets the knee pain when I need to get some sleep. I know it sounds pretty crazy, but I read it in Dr. Gotts medical book and it is perfectly safe and very cheap. About $4.00 a bottle.

I never had to take it as a child for the original use (thank goodness) but this just gets rubbed on the painful spots and no nasty taste to endure. So if any of you have tryed it let me know and if not then maybe it might be worth investing in a small bottle. It can be rather hard to find. Check at your local drug stores. I never see it in any of the big discount stores.

I use it at night before bed and when I take my shower in the morning. That way the whole day is covered. Nice thing about it is that is doesn't have any smell and no one knows you are using it.

We need all the help we can get to make it through each day and having all of you to keep in touch with really makes the problems bearable.
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

and it decreases pain...sounds like a great deal to me! Thankfully, I have never had to take it for its original reason either, but I have known women who took it to try to induce their labor. Can't remember the results! (-:

Thank you for the information. I don't think I've seen it in stores either, but, then again, I've never looked. I'm glad it's helping you. I hope other will see this post.

3. cbella

cbella New Member

it sounds great, but will your clothes get stained with the oil? cb
  4. sniffles

sniffles New Member

I haven't had a problem with it staining my clothes. I am careful not to put to much on and I use a tissue to apply it. Then I pat it with another tissue after it has been on for a minute or two. It soaks in to your skin. I don't know if it might stain silk or any of the same blend materials, but I don't have any problems with knits and cottons. I wear a lot of polyester and haven't had any problems. It really doesn't take a lot of the castor oil to do the trick. So don't apply a thick layer.
  5. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

grind up 4 jalipino peppers using gloves press out the juice,add 4 ounces of lotion of any kind, it doesn't have to be expensive.Mix this togather,put in a container.Rub it on for pains, strains,etc.The lotion takes the hot out.I couldn't believe the results!!!!!
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I read about this, too, in Dr. Gotts' column and put it on my grocery list. I'll be picking up a bottle on Thursday!

My knee is killing me, so I hope it works on it!!!

Thanks for sharing the info!

7. sues1

sues1 New Member

I have not tried this yet,,,,,,,,,but it was passed on to me by Fibro/cfids folks......
    Your posting reminded me of it....
    32 oz. (2 pts.) Wintergreen Alchol
    2 oz. Camphor Spirits or Eucalyptus oil (Makes it hot).
    50 aspirin

Dissolve aspirin in the alchol and add the Camphor or Eucalyptus.......

I am wondering though if we just use the Castor oil would it be as good.........maybe best to try just that first? Cheaper and our "Sniffles" said that it carries no scent.
    I think the Eucalyptus would and of course the Wintergreen would. I would be willing to use what I posted if the Castor oil was not as good.......when you hurt, you are open to about anything......LOL. Maybe I will try both?
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2005]
  8. risinforce

risinforce New Member

that had eucaliptus, rose hips and something else and also had camphor in it and It made my back go numb. Was the weidest thing ever. Actually freaked me out. Only stayed numb for a few hours but actually made my lower back numb. I picked the stuff up at Rite aid cause it said for Aches and Pains. Well that's me I thought.

Used the stuff up and bet it's the camphor in it that caused the numbness. Especially after reading your posts.

Funny at the time I never even thought anything about it.

Thanks, Shawn
  9. Dustie

Dustie New Member

Good morning to all...

I recently found it in a health food store. Very important to get the cold pressed and cold processed castor oil.

Hope it works for you all.

10. kch64

kch64 New Member

Maybe we all need an Oil Change to get us back to normal.

Sounds like something to remember. Thanks
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

I went to a WalMart Supercenter today and bought me some Castor Oil!

It was on the shelf where all of the laxatives were. The only problem finding it was that the bottle was sooooo small and they had it on the very bottom shelf next to the floor! I could barely see it! (In fact, I didn't! I had to ask for help!)

It was almost $2.00.

Now, what's this about it being very important to get the cold pressed and cold processed castor oil????????

How in the world am I supposed to find out that??!!!!!!!!! LOL Please let me know so that I can make sure that I have the proper type!! I never read that in Dr. Gott's column!

I have already put the first coat on!! My knee is still squeaking and cracking, popping, etc. but I hope this lube job helps it!!

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I broke my toe and Shirl told me to open a Vitamin E capsule and rub the oil on the toe. She said it makes no sense but that it works. Well, it does! The pain in that toe almost immediately went away.

It is great for pets when they injure themselves. Even if they lick it off, it won't hurt them and is good for them.

Love, Mikie
  13. kch64

kch64 New Member

This post made me think of my mom and grandmom. They both swore by camphorated oil. It used to be made and sold mixed, but they quit many years ago.

To make your own, buy some spirits of camphor at the drug (it's cheap) and use any food oil (I use olive oil because it's healthy and it's what I have to cook with). YOu could probably blend it with the castor oil.

Mix about one third camphor and two thirds oil in a bottle.

Just shake before you use it. It smells like camphor of course, but if that doesn't bother you, it will work really good. It lasts for a long time.

I love the smell of camphor. Great for colds too.

14. chickabee

chickabee New Member

My mom used to use camphor oil for us when we had colds too. If we had an earache, she would put sweet oil on a cotton ball and put in our ears. Don't even know if they still make the sweet oil. I walk around smelling like Bio-freeze every day. I love the smell, but most ppl around me don' I say, if it works..then deal with Nanc
  15. chickabee

chickabee New Member

Good Morning everyone : )

Going to pick me up a bottle of castor oil today is cheaper and i sure hope it helps, even a little bit. The bio-freeze is more expensive, but i had some samples leftover from when i had physical thereapy after shoulder surgery. It feels very cold at first, then warm. I use it maily at night, once in awhile during the day. Nanc
  16. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

I read about a castor oil pack when I had cysts on my ovaries that were causing pain.

Put a generous amount of castor oil onto your painful area, then apply a nice soft flannel or cotton cloth.

Over that use a heating pad to really get the oil to penetrate. I did that each evening for about an hour, and it really did help the pain.
  17. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

OK. I was skeptical at first but bought a bottle and rubbed it in 3 times a day THEN layed down with heat on it. After 48 hours I have to say this stuff is working for my. I use it in the morning when I first wake up then after an hour I take my shower to get rid of the oil. Be sure to put on an old shirt and protect your heating pad and rice sock from the oil also. At night I rub it in before going to bed. I'm finding I'm not having the grinding feel in my neck and back.

I had to search for castor oil in the stores. The second pharmacist said everyone is coming in for their arthritis and when I went to the doctor this week I mentioned it to her. She had also heard of this and asked how it was going for me.

I've read quite a lot on the internet about the use of castor oil packs and I'm attaching some of it.

Castor Oil
    Castor oil is the oil extracted from the castor bean plant. Castor oil is widely known as a cathartic when used internally. However, little is mentioned about its healing properties when used externally. The use of castor oil is found in medical references dating back to ancient civilization. In the Ebers Papyrus (1550 BC) castor oil was suggested as eye drops for eye irritations.

Most of our present information about the therapeutic use of topical applications of castor oil comes from the files of Edgar Cayce. He suggested the use of castor oil for more than fifty different conditions of illness in the human body.( For more information about Cayce Files, contact the ARE in Virginia Beach, VA.).

Castor oil packs have been used successfully for abscess, bursitis, constipation, appendicitis, whiplash, muscle sprains and strains, low back pain, abrasions and lacerations, infected puncture wounds and fibroid tumors. It is extremely successful when used for arthritic conditions, carpal tunnel syndrome, local infections, and post surgical care.

While it is not known exactly how castor oil works, research has shown that castor oil has a profound influence upon the lymphatic system and the autonomic nervous system. As castor oil is absorbed through the skin, it moves through the lymphatic channels, stimulating the natural healing ability of the body to break up any congestion present.

The pain and swelling from the injury is caused, in part, by the interruption of lymph drainage in the affected area, which results in an accumulation of fluid. The action of castor oil on the lymphatic system is what makes it a valuable tool for treating pain and injuries.

For injury or condition: Spread castor oil on affected area. Cover with wool or cotton flannel or 4 or 5 layers of paper towels. Cover with an old towel (to protect the heating pad) and apply some source of heat (preferably a Thermophore®, which is a professional electric moist heat pack) for about 40 minutes. Abdominal Packs used as an aid in immune deficiency problems can be used as frequently as necessary. Note: Do not use heat if inflammation is present.

Helpful hint: You can get by without a heating source. Just apply before bed, following the previous instructions, and cover with a sock with the end removed or with firm fitting undergarments. The main thing to remember is to try your best to keep the oil from getting on your linens.

note: I would be interested in hearing from anyone else who has tried this. And a big thank you to Sniffles for bringing this to our attention.

[This Message was Edited on 12/03/2005]
  18. sniffles

sniffles New Member

I'm glad that some of you are giving the castor oil a try. I never heard of the cold processed castor oil. I just get mine at any of the local drug stores here in town. It is rather hard to find and some of the stores are starting to keep more on hand since people are finding out that it can bring some relief for pain.
    I looked at my bottles of castor oil and couldn't see anything that said it was cold processed. Not sure what that stands for. Maybe that is the only kind the health food stores carrys. I have had good luck with any of the bottles I have bought. I didn't know that flannel cloth packs over the castor oil would help even more so I will give that a try. Let me know how this is working for all of you after a week of using it. Glad I could pass something along that may relieve some of our everyday pains. We sure need all the help we can get to survive this D.D. Sniffles
  19. CarolK

CarolK New Member

[This Message was Edited on 12/03/2005]
  20. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

who'd of thunk!! LOL here I am taking a bath in biofreeze (ok not a real bath, just applying nearly everywhere)...the smell gets to me sometimes.. I will try the castor oil!!
    Thanks for sharing!!!