Cheap shirts for chemically sensitive?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kombucha, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Kombucha

Kombucha New Member

Hello,

I cannot do new shirts from stores no matter how many times I wash them, and I used to buy Goodwill clothes and wash them like crazy.

Organic teeshirts are just too expensive because I now need an entire wardrobe of tee-shirts. (My old Goodwill shirts that I've had for years really needs replacing and I've not found anything to replace it that is okay with me I guess I'm more sensitive then I used to be) I don't care if I wear a white shirt everyday but I really can't spend a lot of money.

What have you found that works and that is still attractive?

ps blue jeans always work for me as long as they are washed a few times first, but shirts seem to be able to change my mood and thinking in no good way!

Thank you,
    Linda

2. BethM

BethM New Member

I don't really have any suggestions for where to purchase inexpensive nontoxic shirts.

However, you might check out Decent Exposures, do a search for them on the internet. I've bought custom made bras from them, made of organically grown cotton, for several years, and just ordered two more.

They make outer clothing, as well as under clothing, and night shirts and swim suits, too.

They are not inexpensive, but the quality is wonderful.

What do you use for laundry detergent? Fabric softener? could these be part of the problem? (Or is this an old topic you've been over a thousand times already??)

Peace,
    Beth.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2006]
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I only buy 100% cotton. I don't know if there's a difference. But, at least it's not synthetic. YET!!!!!!
  4. Kombucha

Kombucha New Member

Thank you for your help.

Yup I haven't used perfumes and dryer sheets and such for many years.

I bought 100% cotton shirts from Walmart different manufactures and styles and 6 washes later I still can't wear any of them. I guess I just need to get catalogs from the tres expensive organic stores and buy shirts, I mean it should be good for 10 years or more, I know my tee-shirts I wear are at least 7! And I wont waste money trying Goodwill shirts and new cotton shirts. Although cheap, I can't use them!

Thanks,
    Linda
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Work unpacking the clothes that came in off the trucks..........If your ever in a Wal_Mart or Target any store really take a look at the clothes the ladies or gents just put on those rolling racks to go out on the floor take a smell.

The are packed in boxes wrapped in plastic.Well while were doing this we inhale BUG SPRAY.The clothes are sprayed before shipping .Thats so we wont have any of those little critters in the freight when we unpack it.

The worst are the mittens and scarfs .I had to have someone else do those they reaped of kerosene(SP)

Always needed air after and a good hand washing.

The under ware that are packaged in plastic are OK they do not spray those.

Just thought I would let you know .I was in retail from 1972 to 2003 now disabled.

Sue
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Try adding baking soda and/or vinegar to your wash.
  7. Kombucha

Kombucha New Member

Wow Sue, that is some heavy duty information! Who cares if it would even be an organic cotton shirt if they may have sprayed an anti-bug thing right!

I just ordered a shirt from Bamboosa. It is 70% bamboo 30% organic cotton for 26.00 to try out. It is supposed to feel luxurious, and costs the same as all organic cotton companys so why not!? I can send it back if I need to and they will pay shipping, they are really wanting to work with people. I spent about 26 on the 3 shirts from walmart I washed and washed and can't return, so if I can have one shirt that works, I don't mind wearing a uniform and will order 6 more! You all know that desperate feeling!

Linda