Cheaper ways to raise your growth hormone levels

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Mar 6, 2003.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I found some very good research on pregnenolone and Human growth hormone (hGH) this morning, but the article was in several installations, so I took notes. For newbies who are reading this, FMS patients are deficient in growth hormone due to lack of deep sleep, and this shortage causes a lot of our problems as well as premature aging. Here are some highlights:

Pregnenolone was the original "cortisone", and studies showed it provided relief from arthritis, mood improvement,and energy and memory revival, but when cortisone was discovered, research on pregnenolone was abandoned, since it could not be patented and drug companies could not make money from it. It provides the same benefits, as well as allowing your body to make other needed hormones and balance itself naturally, without the dangerous side-effects of cortisone.

hGH injections are very expensive and can be dangerous, causing diabetes and making cancer grow faster. The following natural substances will increase your hGH levels naturally, according to research presented on the website:

1.Chinese Wolfberrry
    2.Vicia Faba
    3.Inhalation of these essential oils: myrrh, clary sage, sandalwood and peppermint. Peppermint has been shown to help reverse the dangerous center body weight gain caused by low hGh.
    4. Amino acids: L-glutamine, L-arginine, L-ornithine and L-lysine. 1.2 grams of L-arginine and 1.2 grams of L-lysine daily will increase hGH tenfold, but can also reactivate herpes viruses, so be cautious. 2 grams of L-glutamine daily increases hGH fourfold.
    5. Higher GABA levels are directly correlated to higher hGH levels. FMS patients are proven to have lower than normal levels of GABA. I take the maximum dose of GABA, which is 750 mgs. twice daily. I have done this for years with no bad effects,and it got rid of my migraines forever. This is also how Neurontin works, but GABA has no side-effects, and is known in alt. medicine as "the chill pill", since it is the main calming neurotransmitter in the brain.
    6. Vitamins: at least twice the RDA of Vitamin B6, Magnesium and Zinc will help raise hGH.
    7. Melatonin helps raise hGH.
    8. A 20% calorie restriction daily, or a 2 day per week fast can dramatically raise hGH. Low glucose levels appear to raise it, which may be one reason why high protein diets seem to help FMS (this last sentence is my opinion, not from the research I saw).
    9. Thyroid function: proper thyroid function is essential for other hormone levels to be balanced. The following nutrients help the thyroid naturally: Zinc, COQ10, Iodine, Potassium, Kelp, Oil of Myrtle.

Klutzo
  2. karen55

karen55 New Member

I just printed this out. My stim test is confirmed for March 13th, and I see the doc again on April 14th. I'm taking this with me.
  3. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Very interesting and informative, have also printed this off for reference.

Pat.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But many of us just aren't able to exercise at the level needed to release Hgh.

The Hgh stimulants aren't cheap, but they do not carry the risks of the injections.

I did not realize that the Nuerontin (and Klonopin) help with Hgh, but I am learning more and more of the benefits of these medications.

Thanks for the info.

Love, Mikie
  5. AJME

AJME New Member

Hi Klutzo,

I respect your opinions on FM since you have been through the ringer with all the meds and supplements and you have a somewhat treatment resistance form but still try.

Have you heard of DHEA supplement as a precursor for GH?

My DOC wanted me to do a treadmill test and then test my GH levels but I can't afford it at this time. The TEST or the GH shots if my GH is deficient.

Thanks!
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Klutzo, have printed out the article, its really good. I am taking quite a bit of what it recommended already.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Your in formation is very helpful and much appreciated. I am so sick I can't even think for myself right now. It really helps to get info lists such as yours.

Susan
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

AJME - Yes, DHEA can raise hGH, but your body can use Pregnenolone to make DHEA (in most people, some can't) so taking it allows your body to make ANY hormones it needs,in whatever amts. it needs at the time, instead of trying to guess at doses of individual ones, which may need to change often in Fibro patients, since our HPA axis is dysregulated. Some people need 7KETO DHEA (I think that's how it's spelled) in addition to pregnenolone, but I found that DHEA made me shake like a leaf.

MEL - Yes, I noticed that. I still take all those things, but I take the B6 and Zinc in a Multi, and the Magnesium at bedtime, because the ZMA caused me to lay awake all night. Interestingly, the same thing happened to my healthy husband when he tried it, and at the same point, after taking it for 2 months. I am wondering if maybe taking it every 3rd night or so might work....I think I remember Jamey saying that's how she took it.

Klutzo
  9. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I am taking L-Lysine 3 capsules a day 500 mg. each. I was surprised to read that it can reactivate herpes viruses. Actually I am taking it recommended by my naturopath to help stop herpes zoster(shingles)that started my troubles with CFIDS/FM symptoms in the first place. Two weeks ago I neglected to resupply before a weekend and I didn't take my usual doses Sunday. By Monday I had a cold sore which I have seldom had in my life time. Could you explain why taking L-Lysine can activate herpes??? I thought it was just the opposite. Thank you.
    Also I wanted to mention that ZMA works great for me but my healthy husband is like you and your husband. The ZMA seemed to keep him awake. He does better with a calcium/magnesium citrate before bed.
    Thanks for this interesting article. I copied it so I could study it more. My best to you. CLD
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I first took the ZMA, it kept me awake too, too much energy. I had to take half the dose and take it at noon. Then, as my body adjusted to it, I was able to take it closer and closer to bedtime and finally, take the normal dose. It worked just fine, except it blocked the Guai, so I had to give it up. For anyone not on the Guai treatment, I highly recommend it.

Love, Mikie
  11. klutzo

klutzo New Member

You are correct!!! This is not an article...it is a summary of notes I took when looking at a very large website. I copied all that I wrote from the website and thought I had gotten it correct. I knew there were two amino acids that could reactivate herpes and that one was L-arginine, but I had forgotten what the other one was, and just took their word for it. Now I think I remember that L-ornithine may be the other one that increases herpes (fibro fog, sorry).
    I just looked it up in one of my Naturopathic textbooks and L-lysine is used to balance L-arginine so that the herpes is inhibited. The L- arginine increases the human growth hormone, and the L-lysine is only there to prevent the L-arginine from reactivating herpes. The amt. of L-lysine should exceed the amt. of L-arginine in order to do that. My book says to take 500-1,000 mgs. of L-lysine daily on an empty stomach with 50 mgs. of Vit. B6 and 100 mgs. of Vit. C for better absorption. (Sounds like a recipe for a stomach ache to me).
    I saw something in my textbook that is very good news for those of us who are herpes carriers. It says the herpes viruses usually burn themselves out after awhile, and outbreaks rarely occur after the age of fifty. That's good news to me, since I eat chocolate and nuts daily, both of which are loaded with arginine, and I am a carrier of CMV ,which is one of the herpes family of viruses.
    Sorry about the Boo-boo! Mea culpa,
    Klutzo
  12. lea

lea Member

Website where I can get this entire article (in case I need to show it to someone who wants the original).
    thank you in advance

best,
    lea
  13. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I know that I read it here somewhere. An article on mycoplasm infection perhaps? I think I'd skip this and use some of the other supplements for growth hormone. I might try this myself. Thanks

WendyC
  14. klutzo

klutzo New Member

wendy - yes, if you are dx'd with mycoplasma, just use the other suggestions.

lea- we are not allowed to post URL's and this website was a really long address that I can't really come up with hints for. Go to the Google search engine and do a search for "pregnenolone research". It should be one of the first few to come up. Also, two other people have posted some of the relevant articles here since I wrote this post,so you might do a search in the archives here for "pregnenolone" and see what comes up.

BTW, I am not a fan of fooling around with aminos for long periods, as it can prevent absorption of the other aminos and cause a dangerous imbalance. Eight weeks should be the maximum, then take 8 weeks off before starting again.

Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 03/08/2003]