Cheapest person you know

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sues1, Mar 27, 2006.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

I was reading a list of the biggest tight wads people knew...One was:

"A guy who works for me has a wife [who] unplugs the digital alarm clock when they get up in the morning to save on electricity!"

I know people who saves liners of cereal boxes, etc. to wrap their lunch in. Also saves small pieces of soap to add water to in a dispenser for handwashing.

I think these are clever myself....I thought it would be fun to hear of more like these....

Tell us of ones you know.......:)+}
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

is so cheap he won't pay a compliment. His wife is pretty much the same way. Won't pay attention.
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i heard that one growing up from my cheap father....
    re washing the ziploc bags for food mother busted on me last spring...

i have a few friends that will steal t.p. from gas stations and resturants.. take plastic food ware home...ketcup packets and the hot sauce packets for home...

i guess that is all i can think of...i do some bulk buying of my t.p and stuff at costco..

oh yeah, i keep all kitchen appliances (small ones) out of outlets and the window air conditioners...and soon i will be turning off breaker to heat rooms to save on the electric bill..

jodie[This Message was Edited on 03/28/2006]
  4. Chermione

Chermione New Member

It amazes me how people just don't get how electricity works. They think every second of energy used is costing them and it isn't! The electric company averages your monthly usage! Unplugging an alarm clock isn't going to save them a ton of money.

But to answer the question, the cheapest person I know. MY PARENTS! There are so many reasons why and a lifetime history of why. It just really drives me nuts how they live.
  5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

for my bucket when i mop i put the washing up water and add a cap of dettol which then goes down the loo.

the bowl of water with a cap of dettol in that my cloths and sponges go in is then used for cleaning the kitchen or living room (instead of polish) and the drains.

i reuse the kids sandwich bags if they are not too dirty.

when filling up at the petrol station, when the pump is off hold up the pipe. that pipe is full of fuel you are paying for!!!

on window washing day use washing up water in a bucket, the lunch time bowl is usually best.

old socks are used when i do polish and for waxing the car.

if im warm then everyone else must be so the heating goes off.and if your cold go get another sweater on!!

the heating is off as soon as the kids are in bed, they can snuggle down and i put extra layers on.

i hate giving b'day cards,what a waste of money, time and paper!! and there is no such thing as valentines day!!

do i win first prize?? dont spend any money just a smile will do lol. oh and the 1ps 2ps and 5ps all go in a jar to buy the xmas booze and the 10ps and 20ps pay the phone bill.
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

...I am the cheapest person I know (I think). I prefer to call it frugal though...LOL.

1. I never buy clothes unless they are on sale. If I see something that I really want...I will hide it behind some others on the rack and usually within a few weeks it will get marked it! :)

2. Coupons, coupons, and more coupons for anything and everything. Restaurants, grocery stores, movies, magazines...etc...

3. My mother always saved the little pieces of soap to make liquid soap....she was doing this in the 60's and I do it too. It works!

4. After using jars of sauces I always put a little water in re-cap, shake, and get every little bit out...LOL.

5. Coffee cans are great for storage and for getting rid of old cooking oil.

6. The heat stays at 70 during the day and 66 at night. I wear sweaters and sweats at home and use a blanket while watching TV...LOL.

7. I always mail bills early and avoid late fees...they can add up. The same with property and personal taxes pay early and avoid added charges.

8. Tissue in bulk when on sale and use a coupon...this always makes my day. It doesn't take much to entertain me...LOL.

9. Freeze finger nail lasts longer and helps with the smell. I also keep perfume in the 'fridge last longer (I can't wear it very often though gives me headache).

OK, I will stop here...

Oh, one of my mother's favorites that always cracked me up-if you get a run in one leg of pantie hose cut it off then when you get a run in another pair cut it off and then put the two together and there you have a "new" pair of pantie hose...LOL.

7. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

My MIL is probably the most frugal person I know.

She saves and re-uses plastic bags, Ziplocs, aluminum foil, bows, wrapping paper and gift boxes.

Just to get her goat up a little, I automatically destroy the packages of any gift she gives me when I open them, making re-salvage of packaging impossible. Mwahhh-hah-hahhhhh!

I will admit to recycling gift bags - they hold up great, and we recycle all of our household plastic, glass, cardboard, aluminum cans, etc. Clothing worn out or outgrown goes to Red Cross.

However, my germ OCD will not let me recycle food bags - yecch - I just think of all the bacteria swapped around with each re-use - I can't do it...

Between my husband and the cat, food rarely goes to waste. If we have something that spoils, I take it out into our backyard woods and leave it for the "residents" - squirrels, skunks, deer, woodchucks, etc. I can't just throw food into the garbage.

An electronically programmed thermostat with weekday and weekend programming is a must in New England. We have a state of the art heating system, but the cost of heating oil is so high here - 350.00 for 150 gallons with the price lock-in. The house goes down to about 62 at night, but the girls rooms upstairs stay at about 70 because of the good insulation.

The MIL and FIL keep their house at about 58 - they have a wood stove that I stoke until its glowing when we visit.

8. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

DON'T recycle food bags!!! Even tho you think you've cleaned them bacteria remains- you can get food poisoning!!
    That is a NO-NO!!

My dogs are picky eaters and will eat around the kibbles in the dish they don't like, and eat the ones they do- which leaves just about 1/2 of the bag of dog food going to waste! So, I either throw it out for the birds, or trick the dogs by mixing gravy with the kibbles they don't like to get them to eat them.

I re-use bows and gift bags. I also save bubble wrap that comes with another package for later use.

I save twisty-ties :)

I am the ultimate sale shopper. My joy is getting a $108 skirt for $7. I laugh that some fool paid full price for the dang thing to begin with. Unfortunately, my closet is full of these "deals". ;-)

9. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

Back in the 60's, bread used to come in bags lined with wax paper. We would put those bags on our feet and wax the floors! Worked great. I went to a catholic school, and this was our Friday recess!

I also save twist ties, baggies if clean, use grocery bags as trash can liners, TURN OFF LIGHTS when leaving rooms. My dh and sil are terrible about that. I do most the the frugal stuff that others here do.

I am also frugal at the office. I don't hardly ever buy manilla envelopes - I reuse the ones I get in the mail, which are plentiful. Some of the people working with me are just so wasteful that it drives me crazy! They buy things by the case when they only need, or will ever use, just one. I attend seminars and take home all the freebies they give out - including the candy which I share with others. I have on my desk a free pen-holder, free paper clip holder w/clips, free notepads galore, free stapler, free pens....
  10. damz68

damz68 New Member

There is nothing wrong with being cheap. If we were all cheap the human race will last much longer.

What you should do is start a topic on how wasteful we are. Did anyone here the story on the truck filled with ice that was headed to New Orleans after Katrina? The truck driver was told not to enter the city because of the looting so they rerouted him to Va. and then sent him to Ill. then to Miss. The truck driver got so mad that he quit his job and droped the whole load of ice at a zoo. They used it in the polar bear exibit. They claimed that the trip he took cost us 100 times what the ice was worth!
  11. kjfms

kjfms Member

...and the soap pieces-they way my mother always did it (me too) is to put the soap bits and a little water in a mason jar and let is set for a while to liquidize the soap and get liquid soap.

My mother was always a great fan of Helpful Hints From Heloise.

I just did a quick search and wouldn't you know it-she has a website. This is a great place for anyone wanting to make a dollar stretch. She has updated a lot of the old ones that my mother used.

12. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

My BIL, who I love dearly, but he is quite silly when it comes to waste. Not only does he wash and reuse ziploc bags, tin foil, water bottles, etc. My sister and BIL use different brands of toothpaste but my BIL will pull her tube out of the garbage to get the last drop out even though he hates her toothpaste! Cheap Cubed!

13. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I do not think any of these things are wrong and most are good for the environment. And my dear BIL is frugal because when he was growing up his father deserted them and they were very poor for a long his habits are not only explainable but good.

I am the one who is wasteful - I hate leftovers!

Good post
  14. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I take unopened shower caps from hotels and use them as bowl covers. Then I wash them well and use them again. Really great!

I always buy on the "end of the season" sale rack. I only have 2 summer church dresses because of that too. Don't buy for hubby on sale though. I buy on sale for me, then leave it in the bag and wonder if I did the right thing in buying it.+

I need new walking shoes but a size 11 is hard to find and expensive, so what do I do? I have worn the same ones for 3 years and can't get the courage to buy new.

Save - bubble wrap, boxes that I could mail things in, gift bags, shopping bags with handles, plastic grocery bags to line garbage cans, small ones, computer paper, (use both sides).

Guess that's enough of my fruglness.

Gentle Hugs and cheap buying

15. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Bump for more.
  16. Jordane

Jordane New Member

I also save grocery bags for in garbage cans.
    Save twist ties(tho I think their mating and making more:>))
    Dont throw away gift bags,tissue paper,or wrapping paper,if its reusable.
    Shop at Frenchys for clothes and footware.
    When shampoo or conditioner gets below pump,I cut the bottles down to the liquid and finish using it.
    DO NOT save lunch baggies,yuuuk.
    Been Fun!!
    Take Care!!!
  17. sues1

sues1 New Member

This has been fun....

I will reuse baggies.....if they did not hold anything greasy nor any raw meat...I wash them in hot sudsy water that has a little bleach added.....rinse real well....hang with a clippy from my cupboard door handle right above my dish drainer.....if hung up with it on the "wrong" side (inside)..the bags stay open and dry quickly and that also helps not to have bacteria grow.

A little bleach is great for your finger nails....makes them tougher.

My kids think I am cheap, or a tight wad......but I say thanks to such they survived to grow stretched a little more.

I used to save dabs of gravy and broths in one container (freezer) and veggies in another and any left over meat....
    I would first heat up the liquid part and add any seasoning that would enhance it, sometimes a tomato or catsup, not much, according to taste.....maybe a little onion and celery......simmer and then add all various meats cut up......simmer...then any fresh veggies I think I might need...and when they were all close to done I would add the left over veggies and simmer a little more. Sometimes even leftover or fresh noodles and/or rice, frozen french fries or left over ones and such...not much....

the secret is the base....if you make the liquid part really good...everything you add tastes wonderful. Everyone that had this loved it. My children asked for it and they named it "Garbage Goulash" night I asked for a name for it....that fit perfectly.
    I could have steaks, roasts, chicken,hamburger, sausage and much more in the freezer and they would ask for this! A meal that other wise would of been maybe tossed out,,,,,as it originated from scraps of leftovers....

We all have tight wadded ways..of some kind or another...we get so use to doing things like this that we no longer think of it that way....
  18. lease79

lease79 New Member

95% of our clothing, & bedding comes from Op SHops, (we look good & I'm darn proud of it!!)

when filling up at the petrol station, when the pump is off hold up the pipe. that pipe is full of fuel you are paying for!!!
    I do this too!! I shake every darn drop out of it!

I recycle all the paper around the house for the kids to draw on ;)

I used to recycle my washing water more than once when I had a twin tub, can't do that with the auto I just got, but if I could I would ;)
    That said I NEVER put a load of washing through unless it is full to the top!

Zip lock bags are washed & re-used (when we're using them ;))

19. sues1

sues1 New Member

If the grandkids are coming...take your tiolet roll off the spindle and put in inside a towel....step on it a couple of times and they put it back.

It will not roll out real freely..hence...we save TP that kids love to overdo on.....

It really works...
  20. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

ok I'm having a foggy moment, what does this mean?

One of your saving ideas was:

"when filling up at the petrol station, when the pump is off hold up the pipe. that pipe is full of fuel you are paying for!!!"

[ advertisement ]