Check our Celiac Disease

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Drmom, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Drmom

Drmom New Member

I have had fibro for quite some time. I was just DX with celiac disease. PLEASE read about this to see if any of you might have it also. When I went on a gluten free diet, all of my fibro signs/symptoms went away. Maybe I never had fibro in the first place. Please visit www.celiac.com
    or www.celiac.org (2 different sites) and see if your symptoms are listed there.
    DrMom
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I think the same may be true of me.

I recently tested positive for high gliadin antibodies but I still have to take the other tests to confirm Celiac.

I haven't gone gluten-free yet because it might cause a false-positive result in my next test.

I also suspect adrenal dysfunction on some level. Possibly secondary to the celiac.

Good post, I think everyone here should at least rule this out.

Sofi
  3. hoodnanny

hoodnanny New Member

my daughter ever since she was very young has suffered stomach problems....they said it was ulcers...she is 53 now...she had a bad spell with her stomach and she went to this wonderful woman dr...my daughter gave her her symptoms and she made the dx without test. that is how sure she was, she sent her to her doctor husband, he took a biopsy.

it came back celiac...when she did away with allthe things she was not supposed to have, she is so much better...it solved her problems.

my grandaughter on my sons side, had the same symptons...she went and had her self checked,, she also had celiac..i think that so many of our problems could be that we have celiac and not know it..it runs in famalies.

shirley
  4. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

caused my problems. I almost died. They say it runs in families, but it was never diagnosed years ago, so it is hard to tell if your Grandfather, etc., may have had it. No one else in my family has it so far, but chicken pox as an adult made mine activate. It can come on at any time in your life.

Check it out if you have any IBS type symptoms. For years my only symptoms were unresolved anemia and depression. How crazy is that???
  5. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

I have been tested for celiac disease by means of a blood test, I believe checking for antibodies. My test came back negative. Although I do follow the gluten free diet for the most part, due to the fact I am allergic to Wheat, Rye, and Yeast.

I haven't been tested for allergies since Jan. 2003, and after the flare that I went into at that time, don't plan on going through that again.

They say the worse your immune system is, the more allergies you will have. The stronger your immune system is the less allergies you will have.

My heart goes out to you, I know how tough that disease is, my ex-mother-in-law has it.

Love and hugs,

AbbeyMae

P.S. What kind of biopsy was done? My blood test was to check for antibodies. I do not have much faith in the generic labs our Dr. sends us to, that our health insurance pays for.

[This Message was Edited on 07/22/2006]
  6. Drmom

Drmom New Member

My endoscopy of the stomach led to a biopsy of the small intestine, which showed damage to the villa. That was leading to malnutrition as I was not absorbing any of the nutrients because of the damage. I had lost about 30 lbs. in 3 months. Only weight 104 now, so didn't really have it to lose. Some folks gain weight, while others lose. I also had the blood tests (some Drs. use the stool tests instead) but either would show an autoimmune responce to glutens. I have not eaten any in about 2 months. Feel sooooo much better. I hope this thread makes others look at the possibility that celiac is behind all of their muscle pains.
    DrMom
  7. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

I found out after a suggestion from my naturopath to cut out all gluten foods...........I was amazed at the difference, not only in digestive issues but in brain fog and dizziness and so on............ If i stick to the gluten free eating, I do so muchbetter..... It was hard at fist but the fratic improvement sure spurred me on.
  8. HAPPYDOGSUZ7777

HAPPYDOGSUZ7777 New Member

Aloha,
    I too am celiac and look at all the responses to this! please everyone (get tested) It's called a celiac blood panel test.
  9. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I was tested at time of colonoscopy for celiac disease but had already been on bascially a wheat free diet and it was negataive.

I cannot eat wheat.

June
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

but not all will test positive for celiac disease.

My gluten intolerance presented like celiac disease, the doctor who recognised this did not have the facilities to do a scope, but there were plenty of indicators.

Going gluten free was the first thing to work for me many years ago; I'd lost a lot of weight and muscle despite eating a lot because I was so hungry. My (ex)husband described me as looking like the starving in Africa, clearly malnourished with a swollen abdomen.

TC, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/23/2006]