Check out DATELINE, on NOW on NBC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Just tuned in. something about secrets and lies.

Saw picture of a Neurontin pill.

Sounds like they were talking about doctor payoffs by pharmaceut. co's.

But, then lots of you have had benefits by Neurontin, right?
    I don't really know what this program is about, but you might like to check it out.

J.
  2. KayL

KayL New Member

We just turned it on, so I guess we missed the story on Neurontin. I wish I'd seen it.

Karen
  3. donna13210

donna13210 Member

It mostly concerned the fact that Neurontin was being pushed hard by the manufacturer in the 1990's for basically any and all medical ailments: bipolar disorder, pain management, RLS, whatever. The problem was: the drug was NOT APPROVED FOR ANY OTHER USES OTHER THAN IT'S ORIGINAL INTENT (of which I am not sure, sorry, I dont' know the drug and I missed the first 10 minutes of the show!!). There were not even any testing or research done about taking Neurontin for other reasons.

They would flat out LIE to the doctors, wine and dine them, even pay them to attend seminars about Neurontin. It was all a marketing strategy.Basically Parke-Davis (who was later bought out by Pfizer) didn't care if the patients benefitted from the drug or not, as long as they took it!

A sales rep (who had a degree in microbiology, thus earning him the title "Dr.") would call on doctors, pretending to be an expert in neurology or an expert in cardiology, whatever the situation called for, and push this drug for any use. Unbelievable!

The rep finally felt so guilty, and was so afraid he'd end up at the wrong end of a lawsuit & coverup, quit his job and blew the whistle. He's pretty much in the clear now.

I know how far drug companies go to push their "latest" product, how they seduce doctors. It happens all the time. But in this case the sales reps were being forced to sell a drug as a treatment for medical ailments/disorders WITHOUT HAVING ANY IDEA IF IT WOULD REALLY HELP THAT DISORDER OR NOT. No test data. No research.

Interesting show. Dateline usually is!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/11/2003]
  4. jkd7058

jkd7058 New Member

It's the only thing I'm on right now. A few months ago I wasn't sure it was doing all that much (I was still feeling pretty bad) so I decided to stop taking it (gradually, of course). About two weeks into my "experiment" I finally gave up. Been back on a few weeks now and can really feel the difference.
  5. Anita B.

Anita B. New Member

It is certainly wrong for pharmaceutical companies to promote drugs to doctors for uses that have not been approved by the FDA. We have just begun to see the beginning of government crackdowns and lawsuits against drug companies for such abuses. However, it is important, in the onslaught against the drug companies that is coming that it not be forgotten that there are many legitimate off-label (i.e., non-FDA approved) uses for drugs. While drug companies cannot legally promote drugs for those uses, doctors should not, must not, be prohibited from prescribing drugs for off-label uses. Many of the treatments on which some of us depend are off-label uses of drugs. The use of guaifenesin to treat fibromyalgia is definitely an off-label use. I haven't consulted the Physician's Desk Reference (PDR), but I think that the use of neurontin to treat pain may be an off-label use. (Neurontin was approved to treat seizure disorders.) Possibly, the use of low-dose elavil (amityltriptiline) to treat pain and help with sleep may be non-FDA approved, off-label uses; this is a drug that is approved to treat depression. Again, I haven't consulted the PDR, so I might be wrong about elavil's approved uses. But if not elavil, there are plenty of other drugs used off-label to treat FM, CFS, and other hard-to-treat diseases. We must be vigilant against too broad a ban and make sure that the right of doctors to prescribe drugs for off-label uses not be curtailed.