Check this HUGE and BEAUTIFUL MOTH out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

I found this moth in my yard this afternoon, I just had an old building torn down and was out trying to clean up some and this was sitting on the corner of a storm door that is laying on it's side.

This is biggest one I have ever seen, I guess he was about 6 in or more across the wing span. Anyone know what it really is. It is beautiful and I would love to try to paint it.

Just wanted to share-Carla
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm so glad you got to take a picture of it although I have no idea what it is.

Beautiful though...

3. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

your beauty is called a cecropia moth, here is the site that I found it on....

4. poets

poets Member

It's a Cecropia Moth the biggest silk moth found in North America. I collected butterflies and moths as a child and that was one of the moths I only saw once. I'd looked and looked for one of those. I had him in my collection for years. About five years ago, I found one in a Burger
    King parking lot. I carefully picked him up and set him in some bushes across the road. They're beautiful.

5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

something?! I was sure it was Mothra, Japan's national killer butterfly.

If you go to Youtube, you can see Mothra and Godzilla battle for the title of Movieland's silliest monster.

6. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

We find several of those moths every summer, They are very beautiful.

Now i know what kind they are! Cool!
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow! now thats a Big Moth! and Beautiful,,too,,thanks everyone for sharing the info on this guy!,,,Hope i get to see one in person someday!,,,Thanks for posting the photo Carla!,,,,,,p.s. a stained Glass replica would be wonderful Carla!,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2008]
  8. ckball

ckball New Member

Bevy thank you for the link, I knew it had to be a speical moth as I have never seen one like it. I did take a small twig in an attempt to move it around to get a better pic but it flew away.

So sad they go threw all that work them only live 2 weeks, so what is their purpose?

Sis that would make a beautiful stained glass peice.

MMS I loved the pic of you and your horse and your son's too. There are several places that have horses that I ride by and one just had a colt, she is so cute. They are beautiful animals, you are lucky to have them in your life. I do hope you are feeling better and can enjoy them

I am glad everyone liked it, I do love sharing the beautiful things I see living here. Carla