CHEMET- has anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Mar 2, 2006.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

It's primarily for lead detox, but it was prescribed to my son for his mercury poisoning. He took it at first, and was so nauseated. I suppose that is a "herx" reaction, but I was afraid of him missing school...so we discontinued. We may pick it up again on spring break. I need some input here...has it helped anyone?
  2. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I may be trying Captomer by Thorne myself, it's the non-prescription form of a chelator. The book my doc has me reading is "Detoxify or Die" by Sherry Rogers, M.D. I highly recommend it.

I also have high mercury from 9 metal fillings that I had since I was a kid. I removed them 7 tears ago, but I didn't know that you have to detox mercury specifically.

You need to STOP. I remember her saying something about nausea in the book and I believe she says to stop, it can be serious if you stir the mercury up and the body can't help it get out. Let me find the info in the book and I will write back.

Hugs,

skierchik
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2006]
  3. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I can't find what I was looking for but I will give you some info from this great book!!

It says that usually the best way to get rid of metals like mercury is to do the Mercury Detox (I'll label it MD). Keep in mind my doc is having me do something similiar, but not exactly the same, although he's the one making me read this book, which is a great book!! So you can follow the book for look up my name and see what I'm doing, but either way I would follow whichever protocol exactly. The MD is as follows:

- a heaping tsp of Vitamin C Powder(pure ascorbic acid powder (any vitamin store). I put it in my dogs food twice a day.
    - 300-600 mg of Lipoic Acid (any vitamin store) I like Biochem, Solaray, or Natural Factors.
    - 400-800 mg of GLUTATHIONE, very important! I like Now or Solgar brand. You can open the caps and place under the tongue for quicker effect.
    - Take this with 1-2 glasses of water and you can do this 1-3 times per day.

This is the basic coctail. You then add other minerals or supplements according to his test results. I assume the doctor checked to see what minerals he was low on. Right??? If, not, the book tells you how to get this accomplished.

He might be low on Selenium and probably should add this to the cocktail. It can't hurt. You need to buy the Jarrow Brand because they make the "methylselenocysteine" type. He could take one added to the cocktail. I take about 800mcg. Another must would be Chelated Magnesium (Solgar is good). He also has me taking NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine) which is great for detoxing. Glycene is also important according to Sherry Rogers .

She says it can lower mercury levels within 3-6 months, but she wants you to check RBC red blood cell levels and to check the selenium level to make sure it's not too high. I've read in other books, like the "Immune Restoration Handbook" that you can take up to 1,000-1200 mcg of selenium per day, so I, personally, am not worried about my selenium count.

Now she talks about if you really want to get rid of it quickly than do the DMSA (dimercaptosuccinic acid), a strong sulfur-based chelator chich is available by prescription and exorbitantly expensive. Chemet, at over $350 for a bottle of 100 caps...blah blah. Or use Captomer-250 by Thorne, it's the same thing and you don't need a prescription to get it..it's cheaper...same chemical..blah blah.

Next, she says to "be sure that your mineral levels and detox pathways are healthy. (that's why the glutathione is very important). Have your doctor write a prescription for the RBC Minerals and Heavy Metals as well as for the Detoxification Capability Panel by MetaMetrix Laboratory(www.metametrix.com)(1-800-221-4640 this lab can do the tests you just need a prescription).

She says "for to mobilize mercury from "safe" storage in tissues and bring it out into the blood stream, can force it into the kidneys, brain or other organs if your detox capability is not strong enough to complete the job and flush it out into the urine. People have died because of failure to assess detox capability before oral chelation. Next it is preferable to remove as many mercury fillings as is feasible for you." page 149 She goes on to say that "you must be sure that the detox capability is optimum and that mineral and fatty acid deficiencies have been corrected."

I, myself and my doctor haven't used this special lab, or done all of these tests. He did determine I was low on selenium, magnesium and assumed low on glutathione. There are some pretty safe assumptions made that if someone has tested high for mercury that they will be low on certain minerals and such.

There's a whole DETAILED protocol on how to use the Captomer-250 and I will be glad to type it all out for you if you wish. There are many additional things you must do along with the chelator.

Just let me know and I think you did the right thing by taking him off of it.

I have a few ?'s for you, like, how did you find out he has elevated mercury? Did the doc do alot of tests. Is your son taking other supplements? Is he otherwise healthy??

Hope this helps you out
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I have read about Sherry Rogers but I don't own any of her books. I searched online for info on her and I think she has good detox ideas.

Yes, my son was tested last summer for mercury levels, and they were high. He had all of his fillings replaced last Oct., and now we're trying to follow up with detox. Our doc is an MD with a private practice and a huge interest in nutrition and prevention, since his own daughter has CFIDS. He has done the DMPS injections in his office a few times...we just don't get there all that often because a) insurance doesn't cover most of his procedures and b) his office is 2 hours away from us. But he has had him on a lot of supplements. He takes selenium, vitamin C, ALA, magnesium, Primal Defense, garlic, CoQ10., fish oil caps, iodine and potassium. I had him drop the potassium, as that made him sick.He is having good luck with Cortef, for his adrenals.

He is generally healthier than he was last year...doesn't seem to catch every bug that goes around and he's been able to carry a minimal load in college. But his morning brain fog is still scary...he comes out, unable to talk or respond, eats his breakfast (pancakes!) and finally comes out of it. After he's showered, he's himself again. He has gained back 9 lbs. of the 28 he had lost, so that's a good sign too.

I appreciate your interest in him...sometimes it consumes me, trying to make him well. But he is doing a lot better than last year at this time. He's had CFIDS for about a year and a half now, and it's a journey. He's not stellar in school, but he's managing. He is in the DSS program (disabilites) and that has helped in giving him more time for finals, provides tutors, etc. One of his finals coming up was scheduled for 8 a.m., and that would be totally impossible. He will take the test later that morning in the DSS office, so he has a chance at least.

Thanks again for writing. Terri

5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Do you think the Captomer would be easier on his system? I'm interested, if it is a safe way to get mercury out.
  6. skierchik

skierchik New Member

It's chemically the exact same thing. It's a "pushy" and "fast" way to get the mercury out; however, I would seriously wonder if your son is strong enough to do it this way. You don't have to go about it so aggressively.

However, you need to get this out of him because mercury leads to many bad diseases, but going at it 100mph may not be the way to go.

Also, I am really happy to see the supplements he has your son on, but where's the GLUTATHIONE??? This is an absolute must!!

If it were me, I would do the detox cocktail starting once a day and taking the supplements your doc recommended. If he does ok and I think he will feel better once he gets the glutathione in him, then go to twice a day. You can buy glutathione(make sure it says "reduced") at a vitamin store and open the caps and pour under tongue, even before he gets up in the morning. Then do the rest.

Like I said, I am not following the book because my doc and his scientist friend are putting me on a mercury, pesticide detox cocktail that has worked for them and they feel this is the best way. If you look up my name you can follow these protocols. There are 3 of them and they are easy to do. (detox bathes, honey-glutathione protocol, rebuilding intestinal mucosa) They are really helping me!!

Did your doc check his IGA Serum, if it's not between 100-150 than he probably has GI inflammation and therefore needs to do the "rebuild intestinal mucosa". My doc is fairly new to me, but he has a really good reputation (you have to have a referral to get in) and he's a Harvard grad. He works with some really great docs and scientists too. He's helped me alot so far in only a month time. And the most important thing for me is that I trust him. This is coming from someone who does NOT trust doctors and what they tell you.

I'll help you out anyway I can, but I don't want to step on anyones toes. But there's no reason why your son can't be feeling better than he does.

Is your doc having him do anything else besides the supplements? Detox bathes??

Keep in mind that the coctail can get him better in 3-6 months the author says. Also she does consultations, if you want to go that route.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It will get better though. You just have to figure out what works for him and try lots of different things.

Hang in there and lots of hugs to you and your son,

skierchik
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

You're right...we haven't used the glutathione. I'm pretty sure our doc recommended it, it was forgotten. But I'll get him started on it. The lipoic acid you mentioned...isn't it the same as the Alpha Lipoic he's on?

I have had him do baths with hydrogen peroxide and epsom salts- not because of the doc, but because I read about it here. I think they have a good effect, but we haven't done them as often as we could. Probably because he needs 12 hours of sleep a night (the day is short).

I have also tried Hangin's recommendation to take magnesium right before bedtime...he takes 500 mg. I think it may help with the brain fog, but I may increase it to 1000 like she does.

He was tested for food allergies...is that what you were asking about? We did the food rotation for awhile, then kind of dropped it, as I couldn't see a difference whether he ate the foods or not. I still have him avoid chemical additives, MSG, nitrates, nutrasweet, and splenda.

Hey, you're dogs are pretty special, if they rate vitamin C on their dogfood! Thanks, Terri

8. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Yeah, my chow chow is very special. He's on a raw diet that I make for him, because he has food allergies to chicken, all grains, turkey, lamb and pork. But he's doing very well.

Yes, I was talking about Alpha Lipoic Acid, this is an important one too, but nothing is as critical as glutathione. If you don't have enough of this, you can get really sick when you detox. And as I said before, for every molecule of mercury there has to be a molecule of glutathione in order to carry it out of your body.

He can take more mag. as long as he doesn't get diarhea. My doctor told me to take it throughout the day, not all at once.

If there is anyway he can do the detox bath protocol, I think it might make him feel less foggy. I realize this may be really hard for him since he's in school. It's truly AMAZING that he's able to attend college while going through this. Kudos to the both of you.

I think overall you're on the right track and you're doing a really great job! He'll be doing better soon, so try not to worry too much.

If you have any more ?'s, I'll be keeping a look out for ya.

Lots of hugs,

skierchik
  9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

We'll try your suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes...Love, Terri
  10. skierchik

skierchik New Member

The IgA Serum test....no , he wasn't testing for food allergies...it's more to see what kinda shape your gut is in. And my level was in the 200's but, he wants it around 100-150. So, this meant that I wasn't absorbing nutrients properly and that I had alot of gut inflammation. I've always taken alot of probiotics, but my doc said that I needed to eat this Butter-Olive oil concoction inorder to heal the gut. That fat is very important in healing it, thus the butter & olive oil protocol.

Anyway, I hope that makes more sense. If you repair the gut then you usually don't have food allergies. If you know anything about "leaky gut" it basically will show up as food allergies and I believe this butter protocol will heal that as well.

Just wanted to mention this to you.

Talk with you soon,

Love,

skierchik
  11. skierchik

skierchik New Member

bump for alaska!
  12. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I just answered you on another post...but the butter/oil protocol sounds good. Interesting how food allergies can actually be "leaky gut", I didn't know that. Guess I'd better keep studying! Love, Terri