Chemical Free Furniture

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msSusan, Sep 25, 2008.

1. msSusan

msSusan Member

We purchased a new couch and right away noticed a strong chemical smell that still linger's after 6 days. (we are returning the couch a.s.a.p)

Does anyone know of any places that sell chemical free furniture?
  2. shelbo

shelbo New Member

We got leather and there seems to be no problem except for the smell of leather...I know some leather couches are treated with chemicals (a woman in the UK recently developed chemical burns from her new leather couch due to the chemicals the company used to treat the leather!) but I think some are's best to try to get specific info from the manufacturer. We got leather because we thought 'at least it's a natural substance'. We have a natural company here in the UK called Method who make natural wipes and we use them to wipe the couch occasionally to keep it clean.

The only other thing I can think of is to buy a good condition second-hand leather couch from a home where no one smokes....that way all the fumes have been out-gassed (if there were any)... I don't know how you'd feel about that but it's just an idea... :) Shell
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2008]
  3. pasara

pasara New Member

boy, do i hear ya.

stain guard
    stains and finishes

these are just a few of the things you might be reacting to.
    i have MCS and new furniture can make me really ill.

i would look for very simple furniture, solid woods (not laminates, veneers or plywood) and natural fibers such as cotton, wool, hemp, leather, etc

you will start seeing some options by googling "non-toxic" furniture.

also, IKEA is a horrible place to actually go and shop from the MCS perspective, but SOME of their products are pretty good from a chemical perspective. obviously not ANY of the products containing laminate or pressboard, but they have quite a few products that are simple in their materials and contain few chemicals to comparable products.

what first came to me though was what shelbo already suggested as far as looking into quality second hand goods. they have already out-gassed, and you can really evaluate how they affect you, plus they are the best for the environment as well as your pocketbook.

4. simonedb

simonedb Member

rummage sales