Chemical Stress Test anyone? Cardiology question.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sacajawea2, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Has anyone had a chemical stress test (instead of the treadmill) and if so how did you do afterwards? I'm not thrilled about it (will be getting Adenosine injected) but no other options. Any experience or advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
    SJ

[This Message was Edited on 07/14/2011]
  2. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

3. joanierav

joanierav Member

i had the chemical stress test last year. never had any other to compare as this was my first one. i did ok, other than the fatigue from the length of the darn test. i think it was a 3 hr test or more. so be prepared with a good book, and lunch. (i think) dont think i had to fast. hard to remember that part.

good luck, blessings, joanierav
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

I too have this test coming up. My concern is my reaction to the med as I dont do well with them.

did you try search? seems like there have been some posts on this.

hope someone can help,would like to know also.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

So, they agreed to let me try the treadmill. Even though I was pretty bad with my CFIDS/ME, I was able to get my heart rate up enough so that they could do the tests and imaging required. If we aren't very active, it doesn't take much to get our heart rates up whereas a very fit person might have to really push to get her heart rate up.

Of course, this was my decision. I had been told not to worry that if I couldn't tolerate the treadmill, they could then go ahead with the chemical test. I actually could have done longer and faster on the treadmill than they made me do.

Love, Mikie
  6. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Thanks for your replies...I did do some research just on the web and wanted to cancel it right away after seeing some of the personal experiences!

I'm unable to walk on a treadmill so no other choice (due to another disorder), otherwise I would do like you did, Mikie to try and avoid that chemical. This is the only test that showed my mom had something wrong with her heart, all others came up normal and she ended up w/ triple bypass surgery. She was able to do the treadmill but they had to stop it, she was so bad off. I'm not having the exact problems as her but have been having trouble for some time, just not wanting to confront it.

I was originally scheduled for tomorrow but had to reschedule. I hope yours goes well, 3gs, and glad you did okay on yours, joan...I am not getting any cardio type exercise and although the doctor says he understands, it still has me more nervous than any other test I've ever had to do. I will be getting an ultrasound done the same day.

If anyone else has experience or input, join in!
    Thanks,
    SJ

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Let us know how it goes.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Let us know how it goes.

Love, Mikie
  9. autumn_rain

autumn_rain New Member

Hey,

I do these tests in the hospital and people dont ever seem to have a really bad reaction unless they work themselves up. Adenosine is produced in the body naturaly, so its not like introducing a new chemical into your system, just flooding it with somthing thats already there.

So My advice would be to relax, adenosine speeds up your heart rate and breathing and can make you feel uncomfortable, patients have reported its similar to a panic attack where everythings speeding up for no apparent reason. However the people who handle it the best are people who just relax and go with the flow.

The people in the room will look after you well, there well trained for every eventuality and will chat away to you if its like the place i work at :)

Good luck and just relax!! x
  10. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

Did you get your test?

I have done it. You get a little dizzy and naseaus for a few minutes but it is no big deal, it doesn't last long.

=)
  11. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Those are encouraging words, Autumn...I will try my best to be relaxed. I was supposed to have had it done on July 25 but got rescheduled due to my daughter needing emergency dental treatment, so I was sort of relieved to get to cancel but now it will be tomorrow...

I think I'm more worried about the after affects, as I respond poorly to so many things like anesthesia, dental procedures, etc and these days sweeping a floor has me out of breath.

Thanks for your kind words, and so glad it went well for you, Isis...did you have any trouble afterwards? I'll find out either way.

Thanks,
    SJ
  12. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

I did have the test on August 4th, and did my best to not get anxious. The staff was great and although uncomfortable, it wasn't anything like some of the experiences I'd read about and during the test I was able to talk-- my blood pressure never even got near to normal range, stayed low but heart rate got high quickly. Afterwards I felt sick and shakey, had an upset stomach but by evening I felt fine. Then a day or two later my face got swollen and I felt like I had the flu, not sure if it was related but a day later it was gone.

I see the docotor in two weeks.

Incidently, my ex husband died of a heart attack Friday night...he would have been 51 this month. He did have heart disease but it was still quite a shock. I had talked to him about 4 or 5 hours before and he sounded fine and happy...we were discussing our kids flight home the next day, who were visiting grand parents and out of the state...now I'm glad they weren't at his house when it happened but it's sad that they were gone almost the whole summer.

SJ