Chemically Sensitive Folks, a question???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Apr 15, 2006.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I stayed in a motel Thursday night. Had to ask for a replacement for the acrylic blanket, because I cannot sleep under an acrylic one. The desk people looked at me like I was from the moon when I told them I am "allergic" to acrylic, but tried to help me out. I ended up with an extra bedspread, a nylon blend, I think, but it was better than the acrylic. I am probably on their list of 'strangest requests from a guest'.

Acrylic makes me feel like I am cooking from the inside out.

The sheets were a poly/cotton blend, and I ended up wrapping my sweatshirt around the pillow, to keep the scratchy, hot pillow case fabric away from my face. (I didn't mention to the staff about the polyester sensitivity...)

How do you manage at hotels/motels? Do I need to start bringing my own linens???

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

That is so funny ( not your sensitivity) but the way you think they may re-act!:)

You should see me and my husband and 2 dog's when we check in!

Pillow's for us ( I have to have mine, special contour type)certain blanket's for my husband and myself.

Comforter's for us and 1 for the dog's to kep the hotel bed's fur free! And of course 1 huge dog bed!

We look like mover's staying for the long haul.:)

Thankfully this is not very often, as I don't travel well ( the dog's do great!).

I usually sleep on top of the cover's ,I don't trust them to wash the sheet's! Seen too many Dateline type show's on hotel's!:)

Claudia
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

you carry all that with you when you travel?? Makes me chuckle thinking about it. Must be interesting when you fly somewhere...

Hmmm, I need to start thinking about what to take with me next time. Also, I did briefly think about recent reports about bedbugs. No bites, so I guess I was safe! whew.

Beth.
  4. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

We drive, I can't fly, I get extreme pain in ear's nothing has helped.

We drove from Tn. to Mich. in Nov. for my husband's grandma's 90th B-day.

The dogs sleep on top of the dog bed in the back seat. everything else is stuffed in the trunk or on the floor behind the front seat's.

we get lot's of look's from people, my one dog loves to sit up really straight and look out the window. My other dog ( he's about 70lbs.:) sleep's most of the way.

We stopped half-way there and stayed the night and fininshed the rest of the trip the next day. It nearly did me in, but i was determined to go.:)

If you fly, you may have to take less, but try to find the lightest fabric you can tolerate and keep that up against your skin, while having the other stuff on top of your own sheet's and blanket's.

Maybe that will help cut down on bulk of bringing your own thing's while still lessening an allergic reaction from what is provided by hotel

Best wishes,
    Claudia
  5. katdancer

katdancer New Member

Beth,
    I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort when traveling - it's not often "we" feel up to traveling then to find you can't even sleep in what you have paid for - gosh.... I usually bring along a chenille throw I use at home, it's light weight and folds up pretty small and just envelope myself in it - I know I'm not alergic to it and its so soft and comfy - makes sleeping a lot easier. My problem is usually getting enough pillows - I can't sleep flat and of course I believe the hotels have a 4 pillow limit then you get the have you lost your mind look - LOL!!!!!Good luck to you!
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

good advice. I've thought of finding a good quality, light weight cotton flanel sheet to travel with me. I like the idea of Gigi's cashmere accessories! Too fun and comfy!

When I move to join my spouse in June, we'll be traveling with both dogs, one of whom is 100 pounds and doesn't travel well. Will be interesting, to say the least. I think we'll do the drive in one day, since we can take turns driving, so we won't need to deal with two dogs and a motel stay. Interesting mind picture, with Claudia's dogs in their car!

One problem I have with taking lots of bedding and stuff, is that I can't physically carry a lot, so it all has to be lightweight and easily portable.

Beth.
  7. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

One day when I figure out how to post a picture, i will post the one's of us in the car with the dog's.:)

Forunately for me my husband carries everything.

If you are alone, you definately need light blanket's, sheet's etc. There are many ultr light carrying bag's as well.

Best wishes on your move! There are natural formula's for nervous pet's you may want to try for your dog.

They have the same stuff we would use, valerian, lemon balm, catnip, skullcap, etc.

Claudia
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

a 4 pillow limit? I've never heard that, but then, I've never challenged it either. interesting...

Beth.
  9. Paracelsus

Paracelsus New Member

My last two stays in hotels were not pleasant.

At a Holiday Inn in San Diego, I had a miserable week.

Apparently they had renovated the rooms and the beds and linens must have been fairly new. The beds must have had factory-fresh fire retardent chemicals and other chemical treatments. (These days they probably spray also the beds with pesticides because bed bug attacks in hotels/motels hit the news routinely-- bad for business).

Needless to say I felt lousy. My room had no screens on the sliding window/doors, so I didn't open them at night.

A recent stay at a Hilton Garden Inn was unpleasant, too. The housekeeping staff had doused the room with some kind of chemical room "freshener" that smelled like cheap perfume.

Yuck.

You sleep in commercial lodging at your own risk.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/16/2006]
  10. starmom

starmom New Member

We had a friend from Peking come and visit recently. She stayed with my mom, as my mom used to be her Univ Advisor. Thsi friend told us that she (and manyothers in her country) like to take a piece of fabric that they like to cover the pillow and to cover where the blankets and sheets would touch the body over your pajamas.

Apparently it is very common in some Asian countries. Mom and I each picked out fabric that felt good to us to do this with. My mom has 9 sets, one for each day of the week and a few extras to use at home. She is tired of washing her comforter every week!

Just another perspective. The fabric covers are very light, and soft, and comfy!

Susie
  11. katdancer

katdancer New Member

Hi Beth!
    When I stayed in Tahoe I didn't even think of it the first night but after returning to my room was overwhelmed with some spray and left a note asking them to PLEASE not use the spray when cleaning as I was staying for a few days and had a reaction to it - SHOCK they didn't use ut again! Amazing what can happen by just getting up the nerve to ask. Needless I and my nose and head were much happier!
  12. skyeone

skyeone New Member

Perhaps I'm a bit crazy, but I have so many allergies to chemicals that before I stay in a hotel or motel I make sure they have bedding made of natural fibres. If they don't I don't stay there. lol.

I also take my own pillows wherever I stay. I can't sleep without my Obusform Pillow, I can't stand the sponge it's made of because of my allergies so I have it covered with about 5 pillow cases to "dilute" the effects.

Hugs,
    Skye
  13. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Anytime I know I'm sleeping somewhere else, I bring my own bedding. I don't have your sensitivity to manmade textiles, as long as they aren't new and outgassing, but I'm really allergic to scents and fabric softener.

Jeanne
  14. libra55

libra55 New Member

any more. I cant stand hotel mattresses, hotel pillows, hotel towels, the air conditioning, the weird smells, the food, the chlorinated pool (we use SofSwim at home), the list just goes on and on. I am the world's biggest baby.

Michelle
  15. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I also travel with pillows with pillow cases & sheets. It may be bulky, but sure beats migraines & itching attacks.

I've also contacted the hotels or B&B ahead of time about my chemical & sensory sensitivities. Sometimes they've suggested the handicapped room as one that may be less bothersome. Perhaps this is because it's used less often? I don't know, but it has worked out OK sometimes.

The worst rooms are usually when you're traveling only so far & haven't made a reservation because you don't know how far your body will let you travel before totally giving out. I can do about 100 miles each day then I'm a mess for 2 days if I push myself further when driving. When flying or taking the train I need at least 1 day to recover from the travel.