Chemicals make me ill !!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Oct 5, 2002.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hello to everyone old and new!I've had my suspicions of being overcome by the fumes in some household cleaners......alot of times when I do a bit of much needed cleaning/disinfecting I become sicker than a dog!either headaches or nausea,dizzy,and others.I'm into researching on this subject and have a few good books to crawl in bed with.I've heard of a natural cleaner that I can make with vinegar(I believe?).Can somebody who's familiar tell me what&how to make it?and will it work on mildew?(in the bathroom).Thank-you all!
    Best regards,
    Tracey
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2002]
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

Hello to everyone old and new!I've had my suspicions of being overcome by the fumes in some household cleaners......alot of times when I do a bit of much needed cleaning/disinfecting I become sicker than a dog!either headaches or nausea,dizzy,and others.I'm into researching on this subject and have a few good books to crawl in bed with.I've heard of a natural cleaner that I can make with vinegar(I believe?).Can somebody who's familiar tell me what&how to make it?and will it work on mildew?(in the bathroom).Thank-you all!
    Best regards,
    Tracey
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

... I'm bad with all cleaners too.

you can use cheap vinegar as it is. also sodium bicarbonate cleans all sorts of things, and cheap baby shampoo (but the latter's no good on mildew). I'm on my way to bed, but will try and send more info on hypo-allergenic commercial stuff later.
    hugs,
    susanne
  4. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hi Tracey, I have just hit on the premise that environmental triggers acount for a large portion of affected people...esp the flares that come. i have been talking to an old dr. friend who's wife becomes very ill because of environmental factors...Called EI, or environmental illness. There are several books out now I am reading by Dr. Sherry Rogers and she has LOTs of info about treatment with supplements (many sold on this site) and especially with diet and detox. Also, avoiding so many of the agents out there. I have found several sites that sell cleaners and toiletries that are environmentally safe. i don't think I can say on here but look up environmental illness and some directs will go to environmental health centers. I don't know anything about them, but know products are sold through several sites. As far as cleaning, I know my grandma worked alot with vinegar...esp for windows and floors. What the heck did they do without all the marketted JUNK we have out there now. My grandmas house was SPOTLESS!!! I say back to nature and the simple (and cheaper) things in life!!!
  5. G

G New Member

What I have done is get rid of what you know that is making you sick for sure, then through trial and error find out what else you may be sensitive to. Some of us are also sensitive to natural cleaners - yeah, me for one, was awful finding things that would work for me.

For washing clothes I use EcoSave Disc which you can buy online or have your health food store order them for you. With these you only use what is in the directions. I don't use anything else - but from time to time I will have my husband do them with an capful of bleach to get the whites whiter. When doing this I always use the disc in the second and third washing cycles, to get it out of the clothes to where it won't bother me too much.

For cleaning I use a steamer and use special cloths that you only have to use water to use - good for dusting and washing floors and walls as well. I have found in the pass that oxy clean is great for this as well, if you're able to use without having an reaction.

Try the naturals first and see how you react but if it makes you sick, try what I have been using.

I have found that my reactions to chemicals, most wood were making me much sicker and giving me pain as well. After, I got rid of all those things and yes, even furniture that was made of wood and replaced them with cleaners that didn't give me reactions. Gave away all the furniture that had any wood in it and bought iron, steel, metals that I could get my hands on. I have found that an lot of the newer lawn furniture works out just fine, office cabinets for entertainment center and for all your books, records, cd's and storage as well. You'll need cushions for sitting on and futon is what we're sleeping on right now and will be purchasing an firm foam mattress for it in the new year. Seems extreme but when you have to do it you can and can make it look great if you want to.

Just a few of my tips....
    G

6. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I don't know if you have the DIY Network, but they have a website and the "Queen of Clean" does have recipes in there for homemade/non-toxic (for people who can handle those) cleaners. I threw out all of my store bought cleaners. Actually, I was always somewhat sensitive to cleaners, but have gone off the deep end since acquiring CFS. There are some other books out there for chemically sensitive people. By the way, my doctor told me that my connective tissue disorder (EDS) causes people to be more sensitive than the average person. Anyone with chemical sensitivities have that also?
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I find some natural cleaners bother me way more than the chemical ones. Vinegar is fine, but Simple Green makes me cough like crazy. It's trial and error for sure.
    Also, if you have this problem, avoid grapefruit and it's juices. It slows down the first stage of detoxification by your liver and keeps the chemicals in your system longer.
    Klutzo
  8. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

We reciently purchased a steam machine and my family loves. The house smells so clean after it is used and no chemicals are needed. However, if you want to make window cleaned use rubbing alcohol a few drops of liquid soap and water. If you want to add some blue food coloring then you have what is sold in the stores.
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

I asked-I recieved!!Lots of good Ideas!Thanks everyone......I'll try it on my better days,today is not one~Take care!
    Warm regards,
    Tracey