chemotherapy and methylation cycle block

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dlebbole, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

I've been away from the message boards for a while and I am sifting through all the information on MCB.

When I was diagnosed with cancer in 2003 I couldn't even walk around the block without fatigue/weakness. After my first session of chemotherapy, all of a sudden I sensed that I could. I walked regularly, but was cautious, convinced that my limits were still there, just moved somehow. I have heard from other cancer patients with CFIDS that they improved substantially also. Is there something in the MCB hypothesis to explain/predict this? Diane
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2008]
  2. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Is it possible that the chemo drug, although targetting the cancer cells, actually killed an infection you had? Also, depending on the chemo protocol, they sometimes use steroids, which might make you feel like you have more energy. Which chemo drugs did they give you?
  3. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

HI, thanks for the reply. They used epirubicin, 5FU and cytoxan. And yes, I did get steroids. I had always assumed it was because it suppressed my hyperactive immune system; I have no idea if the drugs killed any pathogens. I was just wondering if anyone knew how the methylation cycle reacted to chemotherapy. All of this is very interesting and inspiring. I bought a biochemistry textbook today and I intend to learn a lot more about this. Thanks. DE
  4. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I have heard of this with other CFIDS/Cancer patients. Plus, my good friend has MS and they give her chemo to help.

Have the results lasted?
  5. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

They sometimes give Leucovorin with chemo, which is one of the activated folates. I think it is supposed to help the chemo by reducing the toxicity of one of the drugs. I think this drug knocks out one of the enzymes that converts regular folic acid to the active form.
  6. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Have the results lasted? Hmmmm. It's hard to say what is responsible for any particular symptom, since I went in and out and then permanently into menopause. But fatigue and weakness is more of a problem now. So I would say that the effect didn't last longer than a year or two. Diane
  7. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I will pass this onto my friend with MS. She is planning on doing another round of Cytoxin and the steroids.

I guess the Menopause just wipes you out...sorry to hear that. I am dreading it on top of all of my other symptoms.

8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I did a quick little google search for "chemotherapy parasites."

A number of articles did come up, confirming my hunch that chemotherapy drugs might be effective against those bugs.

The parasite mentioned in at least a few is malaria. This is interesting to me since babesia, a lyme co-infection, is to my knowledge relatively similar.

I just bumped a thread started by me called "How Many Lyme Symptoms Do You Have?" to the top of the board.

Based on what I've read on the board, I think that people who score high on this test have not only lyme but the "co-infection" parasites.

If I had your experience with the chemo and scored high on that quiz, I'd be inclined to seek out a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor who would know how to test for and if appropriate treat such co-infections.

The anti-parasite drugs aren't terribly fun, but people do seem to get a whole lot better as a result of them.

Just some random thoughts though.
  9. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Yes, I do have a lyme-literate doctor. Good call! I take doxycycline and have been for a while. I think it's helped.

Okay, I don't RECOMMEND menopause, but then again, having a relatively constant, low level of hormones actually helps in some respects. During cancer treatment I had horrible problems with pelvic pain (endometriosis found when hysterectomy done). I still have to be a little careful with diet (okay, very careful) but it's a minor problem now instead of constant hell. DE
  10. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Dlebbole.

My guess is the same as arosen's. Do you know whether you received leucovorin as part of your chemo?

I had rectal cancer ten years ago, and the chemo for it was 5 fluorouracil (which you mentioned), together with calcium leucovorin. As arosen mentioned, leucovorin is folinic acid, and it's used to counter the block in the folate metabolism that is created by 5-FU. As you may know, folinic acid is the form of folate used to treat autism (in which there is also a block in the methylation cycle in many cases) by the DAN! (Defeat Autism Now!) doctors. Amy Yasko uses both folinic acid and 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate (Metafolin or FolaPro), and I adopted her approach in developing the simplified treatment approach for treating the methylation cycle block in CFS.

So I think that if you received leucovorin, that could explain the results you reported, because it could very well have jump-started your methylation cycle.

[This Message was Edited on 06/06/2008]