Cherries

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GoDaleJr, Oct 13, 2002.

1. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

OK, I have heard of people who drink cherry juice daily and it helps with their pain. I bought some organic cherry juice, but it is mainly apple juice with some cherry juice. I have yet to find pure cherry juice.
    And then I see in a magazine about eating 30 cherries a day! Man I would get a nasty tummy ache if I did that.
    But then it mentions cherry pie. I love cherry pie.
    Have any of you eaten the cherry pie, cherries, or cherry juice and actually have decreased pain??
    It says it can even make arthritis better in a week.
  2. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

OK, I have heard of people who drink cherry juice daily and it helps with their pain. I bought some organic cherry juice, but it is mainly apple juice with some cherry juice. I have yet to find pure cherry juice.
    And then I see in a magazine about eating 30 cherries a day! Man I would get a nasty tummy ache if I did that.
    But then it mentions cherry pie. I love cherry pie.
    Have any of you eaten the cherry pie, cherries, or cherry juice and actually have decreased pain??
    It says it can even make arthritis better in a week.
  3. tes

tes New Member

have been said to help pain with fms and arthritis. I have not tried it yet but it would be worth trying. I don't remember where I read it but your statement is true. Let me know if it helps.
    Take care,
    Tes
  4. Bkay

Bkay New Member

Hi ,
    Yes I heard that cherry juice is good for pain...But I heard it had to be Black Cherries...I found it at Kroger's I think the name of it is Kudsen Black Cherry juice...Also Walmart has a Black cherry juice that is real good to.
  5. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

oops! meant my gums, dentures still don't fit.

Yes I do get some Pain relief from eating cherry pie, I have had so many people laugh at me about this, but I don't care, it works for me.

I had to go a week without any Cherry Pie, and I could tell that my OA was hurting worse than before, in my hands and the toes, mainly.

I got back on the Pie's and the pain was reduced quite a bit. I also eat the Pies so that I can keep my weight up to 128lbs, when I don't have the Pie I lose weight.

You can check some of my back posts on the subject of pies and weight loss/gain. Mostly under the name "Sharon" (k).

It's the best med I have, lol, I get the Mrs. Smiths frozen on hand for when I can't get out. Normally I just get mine at "Hof's Hut here in the Long Beach area.
    They Know me by name, ;o)

If you eat the Cherry's in the raw, don't eat 30 all at once, space them out through the day, it avoids acid build up. Cooking them must reduce the acid, because they don't bother when they are cooked.

I also use Cranberry juice dulited with water, I can't have more than on Tall 16oz gall a day or the big "D" acts up, I also have IBS ugh!.
    I didn't start eating the Pies till 2 years oops 3 years ago, when I found out that I had FMS, and I read that Cherries were good for the Arthritis.

Hope that helps,
    Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  6. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I have seen cherry juice at walmart also. I wonder if dried cherries would be the same difference?
  7. RedB

RedB New Member

In Michigan, Cherries are King! I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post websites, but a search on Yahoo for cherry juice in Coloma, Michigan, should bring up the site for our local tart cherry juice supplier. It is not cheap, but it is for sale all over my area, so it must be used a lot. It comes in a frozen concentrate, so it goes pretty far, and is good mixed in just about any liquid, including just water. If you can't find it online, let me know. I'd love to say it cured me, but............ oh, well.
  8. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I have a couple big bags of black cherries in the freezer. I've been looking for an excuse to chow down on them. You just made my day!
    Thanks,
    Kathryn
  9. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

Sharon, thanks for validating the eating of cherry pie! I am going to buy one this week and chow down! :) I'm also going to look for that black cherry juice at WalMart.
    And I'm glad my post helped some of you.
    Good luck all!
    ~Gina

10. herblady

herblady New Member

black cherry juice helps relieve inflammation. you should be able to find it at the health food store. don't use that stuff watered down with apple juice. it won't do you any good. use the pure concentrate. cindi
  11. BethM

BethM New Member

I've read that tart Montmorency cherries are the best 'medicinal' cherries. I buy them dry at Trader Joe's Market. I think my info source was Prevention Magazine. Haven't used them consistently enough to know if they help, but they taste great, and are wonderful baked into banana bread.

Beth.
  12. vloga

vloga New Member

Yes, they've helped me. Come June I like nothing better than to eat a bagful. Seems to clean me out internally, so perhaps it kills the candida bugs that love us so much. Dried cherries are OK, but I can't get any sugar-free juice over here. They seem to have the same effect as an apple, but stronger. I don't buy them if they are overripe, though.

Of course, too many aren't too good for the stomach :}

Vloga
  13. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Thanks for the information about the cherries that they carry at Trader Joes, I'll check that out today.
    We have 2 in the local area, I love their Pastries and so I usually only go there for the Holiday treats.

I can't really bake or cook much any more, mainly because I can't feel things, I have Neruapathy as well as the MPS/FMS, and I have Burnt myself to much, last one was 2 months ago. So I let them do the cooking for me.

God Bless
    kredca4/sharon
  14. ggks

ggks New Member

I was wondering about the cherry pie mix that contains just the cherries and the filling stuff. I guess it contains sugar too but will this do in a pinch? At least it would not have the curst. ggks
  15. JCharity

JCharity New Member

Just my two cents on this topic..........My PT told me of the cherry juice. She said it has to be 100% red tart cherry juice concentrate. It is is the natural juice cooler. You take 1 oz. of the concentrate to 8 oz of water. They say you can add it to orange juice or coke but my PT says no. I am trying it but don't notice a big difference in pain. PT tells me a lot of her patients are finding success with it. Hope this is of help. Hugz, Jenn
  16. herblady

herblady New Member

sorry, the cherries in cherry pie filling aren't the right kind. the best to use are black cherries. cindi
  17. lucky

lucky New Member

Has anybody tried some omega 3 fatty acid pills? Or other fish oils from cold water fish like cod, salmon, etc.? Lucky
  18. klutzo

klutzo New Member

.....cherries have long been used as a natural remedy for gout, but I never heard of them helping FMS.
    .... Fish oil is helpful in Rheumatoid Arthritis and for those with ADD/ADHD or high triglycerides, but has not proven helpful to FMS or OA patients in studies. Be VERY careful with fish oil if you have GERD.
    Klutzo
  19. lucky

lucky New Member

I don't know about the cherries, that was new to me. But, since I am taking fishoil and have FMS as well, I only can say, that I do not feel the pain as much, especially in my hands and other parts of my body when taking it. However, I am not an expert on fishoil and you are right, it is a great relief for arthritis as well. However, as far as I know most people with CFS/FMS also have arthritis. Thanks for your advice, Lucky
  20. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

I bought a frozen Sarah Lee cherry pie. This has less "stuff" in it than the Mrs. Smith's AND it has the Montmorency cherries that are supposed to help medicinally.
    I also found Knudsen Black Cherry Juice at Whole Foods. It is really thick and tastes like syrup, so I mix it with ginger ale or water.
    Eating the cherries seemed to help lessen some pain for the first day or two, but my pain is so bad now, i don't notice any different. I'm also depressed, so that is not helping my pain either.
    Well, good luck to all of you!
    ~Gina