Chest Pain and Anxiety

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pianowoman, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I had been experiencing chest discomfort for a couple of weeks which I thought was acid reflux and chest wall pain together. I expect the Christmas stress made it all worse.
    It didn't go away, though despite taking things and my anxiety was increasing.
    Yesterday. I went to the hospital to get it checked out. Everything came back OK ( he thinks acid reflux and fibro pain!) but he wants me to have a stress test on Tuesday and he told me to come back if it gets worse. I thought I would be reassured but I'm still anxious and I still have episodes of discomfort.
    I think I am worrying about how I will tolerate stress test since I am so inactive but I just wish it all would go away!
    I think I need to get back to normal eating and less stress too.
    Wish me luck.I'm pretty sure others have experienced this.

Thanks.

Kathy.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/31/2005]
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Isn't it amazing how much an anxiety attack can mimic a heart attack? I had a similar episode and was left in awe of how anxiety could create and maintain such awful pain.

Healthy eating, good sleep, reducing stress, deep breathing exercises: all these things should help you recover from an acute anxiety episode.

The pain may recur during times of high anxiety (as it does with me) but one rule of thumb is not to assume chest pain is 'just anxiety'. Have it checked out. It's good that you're having a stress test, just to be sure.

I hope you feel better soon.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I have chest pain problems .. last Xmas Eve I was in ER because of it ..held my breath to make sure I could get through this holiday without doing the same .. and did ok .. sigh of relief ...
    But I do have heart problems so I really have to weigh the evidence of how I feel .. I tend to NOT go when I'm in trouble .. I hate having to decide if it is BAD enough ..
    In any case ... I know it is frightening .. and I sympathize with people in the same boat .. not really knowing if it is truly heart related or something else ..
    Fudge : )
    PS ... " it is always something ?!"
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

If you are still worried then do go back for a recheck. It is probably all OK and FM can increase the chest pain, but if you are worried it IS your heart, just go back-or ask for a second eval with your own Doc.

Re stress test. They are OK really. I have had three done in the past, including THallium scan and echo test. Don't worry. Having the test will do more for your anxiety than ever as it will show if you have anything going on. All my tests showed nothing wrong but I was anxious till I had them. I always insist nowadays on getting the results either that day or the very next morning, no matter what as otherwise it is more anxiety.

I get reflux too(don't a lot of us?) and I just switched off one long term Proton Pump thaT IS also available OTC to a scrip only one as my doc thinks the OTC one may even cause chest and other arthralgia pains when taken for years-he just thinks this may be it. I often take double Acid pills over stress times, due to combo of being tense and also eating on a different pattern.

Never let anyone intimidate you into taking their word for "You're OK" if you still feel something is wrong. Insist on second opinion. Feel better. Good luck with test.
    Cromwell
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I hope I will feel better after the stress test. I expect, too that I will go back to my own doc. soon. He always reassures me.
    It helps to know that others go through the same problems and anxieties.

Happy New Year
    Kathy.
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I also had chest discomfort and anxiety a few months ago. I went to ER and everything was ok. I did have the stress test and it was not so bad. (I am also sedentary and was afraid of the stress test).

The doctor was there the entire time and would have stopped the test if I had a problem, but it was ok.
  7. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have that problem too and I hate it, it is my scarest symptom.Usually my heart rate goes up at the same time as I get the chest pain. My doctor thinks I have mild tachycardia. It can be many things from acid reflex to anxiety.

Sandy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/31/2005]