chest pain for FMS sufferers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fungirl2100, Jan 25, 2007.

1. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Hello everyone,

I first want to thank everyone for their warm welcomes. It's nice to know you aren't alone.

I do have a question for those of you with FMS. Do any of you experience chest pain? I have read it can be a side effect, but wonder how many experience it & to what degree?

Last night I woke up 4 times with chest pain & having a bit of a hard time breathing. I have had slight chest pain before, but I had always figured indigestion or pulled muscle or just plain overdoing it before I got diagnosed with my FMS last month. Overall, I am in good health otherwise. No problems with bloodwork or blood pressure issues.

It was a little scary & of course when I see the doctor today I will discuss it with him. My RLS was super bad as well. I do have asthma, but don't know if that was an asthma attack. I typically don't have attacks from my asthma & never have to that degree....

I know someone who had replied to me with their welcome had mentioned something about FMS being general, but I say with my doctor at least figuring out that I have it after only seeing me once. I have 15 out of the 18 tenderpoints by the way that this was by most the best diagnosis I have gotten in 3 plus years of suffering. For that I am thankful. I know I have a million dollar workup that my doctor wants me to have done as well to rule out or address some other issues I am having with my body.
    I also have to have my meds & dosing figured out as well. I know they need tweaked. I don't know if the tweaking ever stops?

Well take care & much love to you all.

love-
    Fungirl (Dawn)

P.S. someone had asked a question about a problem they are having. As soon as I see my husband & can talk to him for more than a minute or two, I will see what I can find out for you. I believe it was a problem with your ear(s). You may want to let me know again...sorry, I have the "fog" as well... :)
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

My wife had "chest Pain" which after an ER visit was determined to be a inflammation of the cartilidge in front of it. But they only said that after running lots of expensive tests.
    Over the years, we found that it happens when she eats corn or corn products. Wow, an allergy to corn. Who-dah-thunk-it.
    She drools over popcorn and corn chips, tortillas and tamales. Why do ppl crave what they're allergic too?

Something else they labeled her with is "Prinzmetal's Angina", its a doctors last name and has nothing to do with metal. Its a spasm of the artery out of the heart.

Also seems to be related to corn, we noticed. She takes nitroglycerin for the angina but then she gets a migraine headache.

I told her that corn doesn't grow in Antartica and if she doesn't behave herself, I'll find a job there and move her.
  3. momof471

momof471 New Member

I deal alot with chest pain and it can be very scary. However it is chest wall pain involving the muscle and ligaments. I get sharp pains as well as have trouble breathing sometimes and then there is the dull achy throb.

I'm used to it now after three years of it, however it makes it scary to wonder if I'll know when I'm having a heart attack. I also have heart pain and they associate that to physical as well as emotional stress on my body. At this point I tell myself not to worry when I have chest pain, but it still tends to up the anxiety level, you never know 100% what you are dealing with.
  4. Aghllw

Aghllw New Member

I too have weird chest pains. Coronary disease runs really deep in my family so I always assume the worst. I also have some thoracic probs so that could be it too..or anxiety.

But, could it really be FM??? Man, it just never ends??

Good luck to you Dawn!!!

I am praying for you!

Lisa
  5. Aghllw

Aghllw New Member

You are too funny! A sense of humor is great medicine!!!

"A cheerful heart does good like medicine, but a broken spirit makes one sick." (Proverbs 17:22)

God Bless you and your wife!!
    Lisa
  6. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Thanks to all that replied. I see I am not alone. I am adopted so I don't know a lick about my family background.
    I did mention to doc yesterday about the problems. He wants me to get blood work & my MRI's. I also was taken off of the Trazadone & put on something else. something simuliar to Valium for my sleep. He bumped up my pain meds. So far 2nd visit went well.

Hope all is well for eveyone else. Next visit I will have to be up at 6 am & after my visit go to work until 6pm. That is going to be a long day. I just can't keep missing work all the time since I help run the office.

love your friend-
    Fungirl(Dawn)
  7. Grace4today

Grace4today New Member

I began having a lot of chest pain about 14 yrs. ago. It began as you are desribing - pain, shortness of breath and pain down my left arm. My first bout, I drove myself to emerg. (1/2 hour drive away) sure I was having a heart attack. When the dr. found out I had been diagnosed with fibro he got mad at me for wasting their time. After that, I was afraid to get any pain or other new symptoms checked out for anything for a very long time.

As I have gotten older, and have had different types of stress related angina etc., I think it is really important to thoroughly investigate it as you experience new or unusual types of chest pain or symptoms. Because we do have a lot of varying symptoms that can look like something else, it is mperative that we get to know what our own symtoms look and feel like. If we don't get to know what "normal" chest pain is for us, will have an even harder time not simply dismissing the signs of a heart attack.
    Good Luck at the Dr. today.

8. maggierose

maggierose New Member

Hello everyone,
    I to have chest pain with my FMS and would not know if I was having a heart attack. My Doctor keeps a close eye on me... It is scary. I had this now for ten yrs. My meds have to be changed when I start gettin worse.

love,
    Maggierose
  9. mujuer

mujuer New Member

It sounds to me like you are experiencing some possible anxiety attacks. I used to have them during the night 4-5 a night. I thought I was having a heart attack. I was on trazadone for those suckers for years, however, this being my second winter with fibro I have new tenderpoints around my ribcage that are very sore. For the past two summers I have experienced extreme shortness of breath that will last all day. I just can't seem to get a full breath. I had a stress test done and two pulmonary function tests done. They can't find anything to be causing this. My sister has lupus and we have discussed this as a possiblity because it is the exact same thing that she experiences from start to finish. I have had several lupus tests but it doesn't pop for that. They wanted me to go to the hospital when this happened and I was all ready to do that then the weather turned and the phenomenon went away just like last summer. Nothing is easy, is it? Doctors, tests and pills. It's a good thing we have each other.
    Mujuer
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2007]
  10. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi. Just reading your posts brings tears to my eyes. I started with a major fibro flare last Sunday. Could be from the weather going from 70 to 30! And of course, my first symptoms are chest pains. It starts off with a burning in the center, then burning down my arms and up the back of my neck. That causes major anxiety for me. Horrible vicious cycle. I've been weak since, arms and legs feel like they weigh a ton and have no energy. I did see my dr. on Weds and she detected a few extra beats but I've had them before and have had every heart test imaginable. She even ran an ekg to reassure me that it wasn't my heart. Due to the fact that heart disease runs rampant in my family, it scares me something awful. I take zoloft and klonopin and skelaxin when needed, but I think the skelaxin brings on palps. Could just be me. I just wish I could figure out what causes the deep burning in my neck, shoulders, chest and down my arms. I too wonder, if God forbid, I am having a real heart attack, how will I know?

It's so nice to be somewhere that others understand where I am coming from.

Thanks for listening and if anyone has any advice on the burning issue, I would love to hear from them.

Gentle hugs,

Rene

11. mejlee

mejlee New Member

Do a search for the post entitled "How many others have costocondritis and fm"

It could be what you are experiencing. I have what used to be called "exercise asthma." So I know what asthma attacks feel like and I knew this was not what I was feeling. For at least a year all my regular Drs. kept trying to tell me I was having asthma attacks. (I would always at least try using my inhaler, but to no avail.)Finally I mentioned it to my Rheumy and he said, "yes, you have costocondritis. It is fairly common for FM'ers." And then of course you get the tipical, "just deal with it."

If you read the posts and it sounds similar to what you are experiencing, ask your Dr.

Once I said the name to my other Drs. they all went, "oh yes, that's it." And I have not been forced to take the *$^& asthma test over and over again!