Chest Pain - is this a symptom of FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nonnie1967, Feb 1, 2006.

1. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

I'm hoping someone can offer me some opinions based on their experiences. I've been experiencing pretty major chest and left shoulder pain for a few days now, off and on. It literally feels like a 200-lb. weight is sitting on my chest, and sometimes my left arm hurts even if I'm not trying to use it. My pulse is anywhere from 85 (lying down) to 110 (if I've been up and walking around) and my BP is around 115-82.

I've read that chest pain can be a symptom of fibromyalgia, and no one in my family has ever had heart problems. Does it sound like this is all that's going on? Does anyone else get this symptom?

Work is crazy right now, and I do not want to take off to go to the doctor unless I absolutely have to. (It will probably not be looked upon kindly, if you know what I mean.)

Thanks in advance for your responses! :)
  2. Line

Line New Member

Could be that you are suffering from costochondritis,inflamtion of the chest wall. Many people about 70% of fmers have this also.

I have it but when I get the chest pain, I find sore spots in different areas of my chest. My Dr. told me if you push on the area and it hurts more or the pain spreads it is muscular not heart, as you cannot reproduce heart pain.

Of course it is always a good idea to get anything new checked out. We also have trigger and tender points in our chest and shoulders.

Good Luck, Linda

3. KJH_10

KJH_10 New Member

Chest pain was my first symptom of Fibromyalgia, I started experiencing chest pain, and heavyness on my chest and also arm pain. I was only 19 then, too young to have heart problems the doctor said, but I went and had all the tests done anyways. I wanted to make sure it was not anything serious. So my answer is yes, chest pain is a symptom of FMS, (type chest pain in the search box there are alot of posts on this), but I would defanetly recommend that you go get tests done. These test can rule out anything bad, and I know that this may be in conflict with work, but this is your health, and a symptom like that can be something very, very serious.
  4. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

It's gotten really bad, so I finally decided I had to ask to take time off to see my doctor. I'm taking a half day of vacation (rather than sick time) so that's going over a little better...it's just that it's month-end closing time (I work in accounting) and that's never a good time to take off around here.

My upper back is hurting in the same spot and I don't know what to make of that. This is all new to me. They may say FMS isn't progressive, but it seems like I am getting new symptoms all the time. :-(

I really appreciate your feedback - there's nothing like hearing from others who have "been there, done that"! Thanks again! :)
  5. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have the same pain sometimes and when I realized (from the messages on the board) that it was due to the FM, it was a relief. The doctor didn't put them together, but suggested it was the anxiety, which I'm sure makes it worse.

I'm in accounting, too - it's not only the month end thing - it's the year end thing!!

Sue from Ontario
  6. janieb

janieb New Member

Hi,

I've had diagnosed fibro for 15 years and yes, I do get chest pains. It starts, like you, with the left side and follows the ribs around and squeezes in the area of the heart. I was told it was a fibro symptom.

Have been right where you are, so good luck!

Mary