Chest Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maggierose, Mar 23, 2006.

1. maggierose

maggierose New Member

Does anyone out there have chest pain? It is not my heart I had everything checked out!!! The Doctor now thinks it"s muscular. I see the pain Docor today. It comes and goes. The pain is so bad it hurts all around my chest sometimes my ribs it seems to travel. If anyone has experienced this kind of pain let me know thanks for listening and any help would be appreciated.

Love Maggierose,
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Maggie:
    Even though you have been to many doctors, I still would not give up complaining about it. Eventually they will get to the root of it.

I do that. I will complain and complain until something is done. To just 'drop it' never works.

I hope you get it resolved.

N.F.
  3. maggie_d

maggie_d New Member

Last year, before being diagnosed with FM, I went through a battery of tests, chest xrays, echocardiogram, ecg's, mammograms and all turned up normal. After, not giving up and in addition to other physical complaints, I was finally referred to a rhematologists who diagnosed me immediately. Now when I get the chest & rib pains I am not as freaked out.

I feel like I have been in a constant flare since Nov 2005, anyone else have long flares??

Take care

maggie
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

MaggieRose:
    I go through some long ones also and it can get really discouraging. When it lifts it is not for long and then I get the shorter flares again. My average is about five days of flaring, but yes: I have had the long ones. Miserable, isn't it?

N.F.
  5. 1nixon4u

1nixon4u New Member

Yes I have chest pain also.I have had off and on for about 5 years, I went through Heart Cath and all then at that point I was told I had Fibro. Here recently it started back up stronger than before and I just had a stress test done with the injection and they feel that it is the Fibro...Stress and also my Hiatal Hernia. Sometimes it is so bad it really does scare me, And you should make sure that it's not heart related. I know I have been out of work now almost two years from the fibro being in full swing on me and I hate it, it's taken my life I am only 41.And just like when the chest pains started back up about 1-2 months ago I wouldn't tell my Dr because I feel eveytime I turn around there is something else and I get tired of it. I have Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Restless leg, Neuropathy, Degenertive disc, Hialtal Hernia, Acid Reflux , and another bulging disc in my neck.and the list goes on.I am on 60 mg of slow release morphine a day along with a 15 mg fast acting morphine when I need for the break through, on meds for reflux, on anti depressant..wellbutrane and probably forgetting one of those too. FIBRO FOG is bad lately. Wish there was a cure for everyone who has this terrible monster in our bodies.
    God bless everyone of you
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Mine is GERD problems. I have had severe pain for about 5 nights in a row now. I'm sleeping on 3 pillows and every time I lay down I get worse pain. It is better when I sit up.

Finally I got to sleep last night around 3:30 AM and got up at 11 AM today. I did have to make bathroom trips, though, but at least I wasn't in pain.

I believe this is all due to stress of my son's wedding on 4/2. If I'm still having problems after that, I'm going to my doc. Right now I'm using the Rx dose of Pepcid AC.

So I can't sit up 24/7, so a lot of nights I'm up and down because sitting upright makes the pain almost go away. I'm so sick of dealing with this.

I also have diabetic gastroparesis since 1990 and have FMS.

Hugs to all,
    Faye
  7. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

This is another condition that goes along with FMS. Check out this explanation and see if it resembles your symptoms.

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum. The condition causes localized chest pain that you can reproduce by pushing on the cartilage in the front of your ribcage. Costochondritis is a relatively harmless condition and usually goes away without treatment. The cause is usually unknown.

Costochondritis (with unknown cause) is a common cause of chest pain in children and adolescents. It accounts for 10-30% of all chest pain in children. Annually, doctors evaluate about 650,000 cases of chest pain in young people aged 10-21 years. The peak age for the condition is 12-14 years.

Costochondritis is also considered as a possible diagnosis for adults who have chest pain. Chest pain in adults is considered a potentially serious sign of a heart problem by most doctors until proven otherwise. Chest pain in adults usually leads to a battery of tests to rule out heart disease. If those tests are normal, and your physical exam is consistent with costochondritis, your doctor will diagnose costochondritis as the cause of your chest pain. It is important, however, for adults with chest pain to be examined and tested before being diagnosed with costochondritis. Often it is difficult to distinguish the two, without further testing. The condition affects females more than males (70% versus 30%). Costochondritis may also occur as the result of an infection or as a complication of surgery on your sternum.

Tietze syndrome is often referred to as costochondritis, but the two are distinct conditions. You can tell the difference by noting the following:

Tietze syndrome usually comes on abruptly, with chest pain radiating to your arms or shoulder and lasting several weeks. Sneezing, coughing, deep breathing, or twisting your chest can increase the pain.
  8. Mountainlover

Mountainlover New Member

Dear maggierose,

I was diagnosed with FM and Ankylosing Spondylitis. The Spondylitis is an arthritis that causes inflammation in your vertebrae and your diaphram - well all over your body and it causes them to eventually fuse together. It flares every so often and the pain increases in our neck and back and diaphram, making it hard to breathe. The inflammation is building between the ribs and when they expand and contract when we breathe, it causes great pain. We have been told that doing breathing exercises will keep the inflammation from fusing the rib area which is dangerous.
    Maybe this is what you have - I am no doctor - just wondering.
    redheadbev
  9. Line

Line New Member

I sure get them, mine are in the upper chest from one side to another, even the shower hurts. I have really bad sore spots and my DR. told me press and if you find sore spots it is muscular not heart.Mine sometimes are sharp shooting pains other times pain and other times soreness. I get breast pain also and low rib pain front and back. I have been dxed with costo also, but I am not sure that I have that because we have so many trigger points in our chest. But sometimes i can barely move my arms without getting more pain.

Hugs,Linda

10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

It is scary. It is usually if not heart, caused by the many muscles we have in our chests, the cartiedge also. I just had horrendous chest and rib pains for two weeks solid. I was unable to do very much.

The other cause if it is intermittent is esophageal spasms and diaphram itrritation and also colon irritation. All can cause chest pains.
    Sorry you have them. Mine is gone except when I walk too much and stays down in lower left ribs. Yikes. MY flare now on the way out(fingers crossed) started last November too.

Good luck.

Anne C
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2006]
  11. cbrogan6

cbrogan6 New Member

I have been having them a lot more in the last month. Pressure/pain type feeling right below my breastbone, sometimes traveling to my shoulders. I asked my OBGYN about it last week, I started a new birth control about a month ago and thought maybe this was a side effect. She said it is probably gas. I almost laughed out loud. I know what gas feels like, and this isn't it. I also have Crohn's disease, and she said it could be a symptom of that. I am seeing a new internist on Monday, if she tells me anything new, I'll let you know!
  12. momwinterwhite

momwinterwhite New Member

YES IT took A surgeon to tell me that this pain was
    Chostochondrotis??? Anyway it is infalmation of the tissue
    in your rib cage very scarry and painfull.My doc the surgeon
    gave me a injection of chortision. It helped for a while
    but it is recurrent after some research I found it
    is also very common with fibro patients.
    I hope you fell better soon
    Momwinterwhite