chest pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have been having chest pain, center of chest for about a month.It comes and goes. I had my heart checked out before but this pain is more intense than before. Could this be more fibro. pain or shoudl I be worried? I have checked my blood pressure and it is a bit high. I don't know what to do. I have medical bills from the last time we time. My husband is a firefighter and emt and he doesn't seem to be too worried. He has seen many heart attacks. What do you all think?
  2. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

Hi Sheila,
    After many visits last spring to ER i was found to have bad reflux and esophogeal spasm caused by inflammatin that casued and eosinophil invasion. ( Really a lot a inflammation ) It feels like what you would think a heart attack would feel like. Exteme pain like labor pains in your chest and goes right through to your back, They did the scope down finally and found the problem. When it hits, i also have trouble swallowing. They said was normally a reaction to some food, like an allergy, but allergy test showed nothing of the 20 or so foods they tested that are the biggest triggers. THey said it can also be something you are drinking or even breathing in that is a trigger. So, i just started eating bland and simple foods like applesause, fruit cocktail, oatmeal, etc. And then went on to chicken eggs, etc. I have avoided white flour and wheat and now oat and rye, bc i thought it could be a sensitivity to wheat or gluten that was causing the reations. I was told not to eat late at night, to avoid chocolate, alcohol, caffeine of any kind, acidic foods. And to raise my bead at the head about 4-5 inches with blocks to avoid the reflux at night. I was better to some extent but I also notice i can get worse even taking my evening meds...which are sleeping pill mainly.

If you are having this realated to foods, jsut want to say that there are so many preservatives and additives, even dye in foods that people can become sensitive too, even if not a full blown allergy that the skin test can detect. Maybe you should consider this as a problem. For me, it made sense bc i am amost always laying down WAY too soon after eating...I am in bed or on couch more thatn 75% of day.
    But Sheila, you HAVE to make sure they check you out for any cardiac or gall bladder, or other things that can casue chest pain. That is the first thing you need to do. You dont mess with that.

I am going throgh similar today with what I think is a reaction to an otc sleeping aid, or delayed reaction from the contrast dye used in an MRI last night.They want me in to ER but am waiting for husband to come home from hunting.

Hope you get some answers....and have a happy THanksgiving regardless!!!!
  3. pearls

pearls New Member

Chest pain has been my main symptom. For me, it was really crushing pain. When it came on, my ability to do much was greatly curtailed. It would keep me from doing my work or going to sleep.

I was tested for stomach problems by endoscopy, heart problems by cardiac catheterization, lung problems by several difficult tests, even thoracic spinal problems by CT scans. Unfortunately, in fibromyalgia, tests like these are necessary to eliminate other possible causes. In addition, I had whole battery of bloodwork to make sure it was not caused by something detectable by those kinds of tests. It was not caused by any of these things.

Some of us with fibromyalgia simply have chest pain, which is caused by muscle spasms. called chronic myofascial pain. The term, "myofascial" refers not to muscles of the face, but to the "fascia," or silver-colored sheathing that surrounds each muscle.

My pain is centered in my back muscles, but it causes pain in the chest area. At first, I could not discern any pain in the back, only in the chest. But later, I might have both kinds of pain at the same time, or only in my back.

What has helped me more than anything is Lyrica. I've been up and down the heavy narcotics route, which helped my pain a lot and helped me get a handle on dealing with it. But the Lyrica has essentially taken it away. I still have pain after I get off my usual routine and I forget to pace my activities, but it is much less intense than was once the case.

I wonder if your doctor might be willing to prescribe Lyrica before putting you through all those expensive tests. If it works, that would most likely mean that it is the chronic myofascial pain that usually accompanies fibromyalgia that is causing your problems.

I'm sure, however, he would want to have some kind of heart test, such as EKG and perhaps a treadmill and echocardiogram first, just to make sure your ticker is okay. The next step would be the nuclear treadmill test, if your cardiologist thinks it is necessary. In my case, I had already had those tests because of other problems, so the next step for me was the cardiac catheterization.

4. mom2many

mom2many New Member

Costochondritis, a lot of fibro patients have chest pain that called Costochondritis.

Costochondritis causes pain and tenderness in the locations where your ribs attach to your breastbone (costosternal joints). Often the pain is sharp, though it can also feel like a dull, gnawing pain. Pain associated with costochondritis occurs most often on the left side of your breastbone, though it can occur on either side of your chest.

Other costochondritis symptoms may include:

Pain when taking deep breaths
    Pain when coughing
    Difficulty breathing
  5. goog1212

goog1212 New Member

Can you replicate the pain by pushing on you sternum (breastbone)?

Talk to your doctor to see if it could be costochondritis, which as mom2many said is very common in people with FMS. It is caused by inflammation in the cartilage where your ribs meet your sternum. It should get better with antiinflammatories.

Of course, that is after your doctor rules out more serious possibilities such as heart or lung problems.

Hope you feel better soon!
  6. tut90

tut90 Member

Doctors don't know what causes most cases of costochondritis. Only some cases of costochondritis have a clear cause. Those causes include:

Injury. A blow to the chest could cause costochondritis.
    Infection. Infection can develop in the costosternal joint, causing pain.
    Fibromyalgia. Recurring costochondritis could be a symptom of fibromyalgia. People with fibromyalgia often have several tender spots. The upper part of the breastbone is a common tender spot.
    Pain from other areas of your body. Pain signals can sometimes be misinterpreted by your brain, causing pain in places far away from where the problem occurs. Your doctor might refer to this as "referred pain." Pain in your chest can sometimes be caused by problems with the bones in your spine compressing the nerves.

This is from the site.

7. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

If it is different and or worse then for goodness sake go to the doctor or ER
  8. elliespad

elliespad Member

Hi Sheila, a year or two ago I was having crushing pain in my chest/heart. Dr. couldn't figure anything out. One time, I was there and happened to have a Migraine headache. When I left his office I went and bought some (generic store brand) of Excedrin Migraine. HOLY COW, the SEVERE CRuSHING chest pain went away along with my Migraine. Next time I was in to see him, I told him how the Migraine medicine got rid of the chest pain and asked if I could be having Migraine other than in my head at times. He said absolutely yes. He had only ever seen one other patient with cardiac migraine and he admitted him to hospital as he had paralysis of his arm and displayed stroke symptoms. Then when a vascular consult was done it was dx. as cardiac migraine. So, maybe this is what you are having.

9. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I just applied a small amount of pressure on the breastbone and it caused a lot of pain. Sounds like the inflamation that many of you have talked about that comes with fibro.

I have had all the tests you can do other than a heart cath. and they all showed a bit of a skipping heart rythme but nothing other than that. I feel very confident that it is not my heart but it is still scarey.

Cardi migranes sound scarey. Never heard of that. So sorry elliespad.

The pain has eased off. Sometimes I think it has to do with my esphagus. I had an endoscopy a year ago and it was fine but I do have problems with relfux even while taking nexium.

Thanks for all the support.
  10. Chelz

Chelz New Member

May be cosotochondritis, I just now posted about this because I am now experiencing the problem. I also have had EKG's, Stress tests, echocardiograms and everything comes back okay. I also wore a holter monitor for two days, results are negative. The stress test was also performed on the dreaded treadmill.

In my case the doc thinks it's costochondritis which others have mentioned is pretty common with FM. It could be just this, but discuss with your doctor if you are still concerned. Hugs Chelz.