Chest Pains and Fibro how to Deal with the Anxiety

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Risk, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi. Just wondering how everyone here deal with chest pains coupled with fibro? I have had every heart test under the sun, all are normal. Yet, it seems that whenever I do get a flare, the first place that I feel it, is in my chest. That sends up a red flag and scares me to death.It causes much anxiety and I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this and how they tell themselves that it is fibro related and not anything serious with their heart.

I'm under alot of pressure at the moment, going through a divorce after almost 24 years of marriage. He couldn't deal with the fibro anymore and wanted the old me back. Well, I do too!

If I could just wrap my head around the fact that it's not my heart and simply a part of this DD maybe I could cope better. I am on klonopin, zoloft, skelexin (as needed) and hormone replacement, due to early menopause at 44. yes, I do see a therapist to discuss my feelings of all that is going on in my life.

I guess what sticks in my mind is that heart disease runs rampant in my family. I am not overweight, don't smoke, and when I'm not flaring try to exercise a few times a week. Usually walking.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate any and all advice on coping techniques.

Rene
  2. Engel

Engel New Member

Same here hun ... I am 53. I thought I was having heart attacks and took myself to ER several times and got hauled there from work by the EMS another time. I went on anti-depressants which helped immensely. I have had all kinds of tests (heart) also ... ticker is still ok. I would love to be able to get more exercise but I am really crippled up and can barely hobble around the house with a cane :-( . I have FMS & OA. I am going to a rheumatologist today (my first) so maybe he can help me out? I have been off work 2 months now on STD and am worse (go figure) physically. I also have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) and being around fragrances does me in. My mother died from heart disease (as did her father and her maternal grandfather). Keep up with your walking. I used to walk daily.

((((((( take care )))))))

ps ... my son (grrrrrrrr) called me at 9 am about his taxes!!!!!!!!!! I was so angry since he was supposed to come over weekend to take care of it. So of course I have other plans today and now I am all worked up and stressed.[This Message was Edited on 04/17/2007]
  3. coolma

coolma New Member

Sorry to hear about your pain. I do know and have experienced it (years of it). I found along with all the other really great suggestions you have been given, and what you are already doing for yourself, that meds, ruling out any sure sign of heart trouble - then getting some distraction in my life was the only thing that helped me cope. And, that includes depression anxiety too.

Only a suggestion. Distraction by anything you can find that is good and healthy - a movie, a book, talking to a friend, meeting a friend, socializing somehow. Socialization really helps break the isolation, and yes, even in pain sometimes I had to weigh the balance and go out even if I paid for it afterwards. Your mental state is really important and if you overlook it, you'll be in trouble.

I was disabled in my 40s, but learned I could join a local senior's centre because I was on disability. I only went there 2 hours once a week, but I made friends, had a social outlet and even started volunteering there 2-1/2 hours a week during summer and fall which are my better months.

A local church group has alot of activities or even just some spiritual/emotional support. Don't rule it out - it became vital to my ongoing healing process.

Hope you find some help and are feeling better about things soon! You are not alone.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yup, anxiety'll do it to you all right. I get something similar. I get muscle spasms in my upper back that I'm just "sure" is a heart attack until they go away. That's when I slide a Xanax under my tongue.

Have you talked to your therapist about this? Probably have, but maybe they or your doctor can advise you. There may be something you can do to rule out a heart problem when this occurs and/or changing meds. You have enough to deal with without this concern.

By the way, don't forget to factor in the anger which you MUST be having. Can you possibly feel a little bit sorry for your husband for loosing the good woman he's too dumb to hang on to?

Marta
  5. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Rene,

This may sound too simple, but I talked to my doctor about this just a week ago. He said before we went through all of the tests to try taking a swig of Maalox when my chest begain to hurt. He said it could be esophageal problems.

Of course, we all know that the stress we're under can cause stomach problems, so this makes sense. It would be a cheap fix if it helped. You might give it a try.

Gentle Hugs,
    Pam
  6. granmama

granmama New Member

...it is so scary to have chest pains. I've been having episodes of these for close to 8 years now. I have all the normal cardiac tests (normal). I've been told they were coronary spasms, fibro, esophageal spasms. Take your pick!

Mine last between 30-45 minutes. The pain spreads to my shoulder blades. I use O2 during these times as well. I'm pretty washed out afterwards and chest is sore. Also, the nitro gives me a headache that lasts several hours.

Today, I got the results of my Echocardiogram (ordered after a stroke) and it was normal. YEA! What a relief!
    Looks like I too must assume it is not my heart.
    I keep the nitro & O2 close by anyway.

I'm so sorry for your troubles.
    granmama
  7. Risk

Risk New Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It's so nice to know that there are caring people in the world. Everyone had such great suggestions. And Marta, I just loved yours! You are a sweetie. He should know what a wonderful woman he is losing!

And to everyone else, thank you about the Maalox, yes of course, I have reflux disease!

As for socialization I do have great friends, not much family except my two wonderful girls who are away at college, but I volunteer at a local senior center on Monday and friday and that gives me such joy and pleasure.

I wish for all of us wellness, and no more of this pain, suffering and anxiety.

You have lifted my spirits and given me a better outlook on this DD that I have suffered with for 7 years.

Hugs to all!

Rene
  8. mujuer

mujuer New Member

What sort of pains are you having? Is it with breathing, pain in your lungs, rib pain? I have the rib pain as well as between the shoulder blades. I take a muscle relaxer for both and it does a great job. P
  9. mssusans

mssusans New Member

rene, hello,just wanted to share your confusion,i have had the same chest pain for 25 yrs about every 2 weeks it comes on and starts as a dull ache within 30 min it is full blown and is so painful i have to have seriou pain meds and it still throbs it goes thru my back up in my shoulders and sometimes in my jaw. i too have been to er and had tests for heart attack.mind you 25 yrs of this and no answers to fix it is so frustrating and depressing. i now have had every tests known to man,to no avail, i have lupus and have had been diagnoced for about 20 yrs. they say it is chronic pain i guess i have to go on living with it. you might want to get your gall bladder checked this can also cause chest pain.because of the lupus i have they say the chest wall becomes inflamed, also there is another condition that causes chest pain called costro condritis,spelling, im not sure. one thing i do know until i loged on to this site i never knew there were people out there who suffer with this awful pain, i don't feel alone now,sorry to say but it is nice to share with people who understand.take care and good luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2007]
  10. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi Mujuer, the pain almost feels like gallbladder pains, but I had my gallbladder removed years ago. Pain in the center of my chest, sometimes goes through to the back and shoulders. It could be that I tend to tense up when I get chest pains, because it scares me so badly. And Mssusans, my rheumy did say that I do have costochondritis, but sometimes that pain is different. I guess to me, it's the fear of the unknown. We get so many different symptoms, I just never know what to chalk up to fibro or something else. I like many above, have taken myself to the ER assuming the worse.

It's ashame that more people aren't as accepting of this DD. Even my lawyer has made comments that I look so well, that it's hard to imagine that I'm in pain. Not that she's doubting it, but I'm sure it my soon to be ex's lawyer would see me, she would presume that I am lying about my condition. Grrrrr.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Rene
  11. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

I get chest pains too. Been happening for about 3 yrs, it's SO scary. I've had my heart checked too and it's fine. I'm 34 yrs. I get the pain above my left breast. It last about an hour. Pains start off dull then sharp, intense and deep. I get panicky and lots of anxiety which makes it worse. The panic is because I feel it's my heart, even though it's not. A family member to give me a back massage and that relaxes me and eases the chest pain. I usually massage my left pec muscle which feels all knotted up and tight at the time and that seems to help. For me, i think the pain may be coming from a spasming pec muscle, even thought it feels deeper in. massaging and drinking camomile tea really helps when i get the chest pain.
  12. maryl

maryl New Member

I recently had something similar. After the usual remedies:
    Zantac, Maalox etc. didn't help, ( although they usually do ), I ended up in the ER. It was just like that gallbladder pain but this time it was pancreatits. The ER doc humored me, my doc said the flu, only the GI Dr. figured
    it out. Maybe this will help. Sure hope you can get a handle on it. Feel better. Mary

13. NannyGlo

NannyGlo New Member

Hi Rene. I can identify with your "fears" concerning chest pains, and the red flags it raises in one's mind. We have high blood pressure and heart disease on both sides of my family, and unfortunately, I AM overweight and at an age when heart attacks can be a reality. I don't get the chest pains every day, but it's usually when I'm anxious that they appear. What I do is immediately start taking deep breaths and and gently massaging the muscles in that area. If it continues, then I take one of my meds for anxiety or a muscle relaxer. These are no fun, are they! Nanny