Chest & Rib Pain?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by severina, Apr 29, 2004.

1. severina

severina New Member

I have fibro and I am suffering badly with this at the moment. My doctor said my lungs are clear and is putting it down to the fibro..I am so sore to touch the bones & muscles on my breast bone/shoulders/collarbone etc and my chest is aching,so is my back!! My ribs are full of knots too..and sore.
    Its scary-and its ok for people to tell you to try and relax but it isnt easy with this sort of pain.Anyone else have this?
  2. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

It is called costochodritis. Inflammation around the ribs and breastbone that is common with FM. I also get knots and muscles spasms along my ribs.

It is very painful sometimes so much that people think it is their heart.

Make sure you have ruled out all health problems though.
    Cardiac symptoms go unnoticed far too often in women.

Pain relievers, warm showers, rest, gentle massage can help, but I have found nothing to alleciate the pain completely. I am very large chested too which really aggravates it!

P.S. Never use any of the pain rubs or patches with the menthol or capsacin near you heart though. This is not safe.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2004]
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

In the same places too.

However, I get the Lumps about 2 inches up from the navel and about 1 1/2 inches over to the right. Sometimes it is just one lump. Sometimes it is 2 or 3 lumps. They hurt so badly that it hurts to breathe.

I use extra strength ben gay on the back and shoulders. I squirt a long ribbon of it on a table knife or a paint stirrer stick and "windshield wiper" motion it onto my back.

I try to massage the lumps if I can stand to touch them; also the shoulders

P.S. I DON'T use the Ben Gay over the breast bone.[This Message was Edited on 05/03/2004]
  4. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Severina:

I have had this painful part of FMS for many years. I also try to "rub out" the small nodules, but they are very painful...especially as the move across my ribs as I breathe. I also have FMS, RA, asthma..and have had FMS symptoms since my childhood. I am 42 years old. I have a 4 year old daughter, who is the light of my life.

Not really sure what to tell you to do about your painful ribs...but keep on trying different treatments until you find something that helps. Unfortunately, what used to work for me (really hot baths) not longer does the trick. I am very sensitive...and do not like massages...but I find that if I can at least break up some of the nodules I feel better.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  5. Hoops

Hoops New Member

I have fibro and costochondritis and it sounds like costo to me. There is an excellent costochondritis board on Yahoo. I find the costo worse than the fibro and I never thought I'd ever say that. Check out the Yahoo board for lots of info. Mare
  6. DharmaGirl

DharmaGirl New Member

I, too, have painful ribs.... A couple of years ago, my massage therapist did some pressure point therapy by applying pressure (as much as you can tolerate) to the area in pain (sometimes a lump)and having me breathe into it. After several slow and meditative breaths, it seemed to alleviate most of the pain. Try it, it works for me!
  7. ceres

ceres New Member

what i have found is useing a heating pad some times it puts me to sleep and yes i know you are not to sleep with it
    so i set the alarm clock so i can trun it off,and what is really strange i only sleep on my side now i can sleep on my back, and i try to lay down on the floor and put my feet up on a chair or ottomen, hope this helps you :)
  8. jackiej444

jackiej444 New Member

Hello, Yes, I have something similar. I have a long sock filled with rice that I put in the microwave. I heat it for 2 1/2 minutes and use it instead of a heating pad. Heat does help. Good luck.