Chestt/rib pain and fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Apr 27, 2006.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I spent eight hours in the ER today after I woke with pain under my ribs on the left side, radiating into my back, left shoulder blade, shoulder and neck. In the ER, they checked my heart, lungs, urine sample and took blood tests. The upshot is that I didn't have a heart attack, and although the tests show I have an infection, they couldn't figure out what it was from.

This is the first time I've gone into the ER (except once for a severe cut). I started shivering on the way to the hospital, and when they took my temp (several times), it showed that I had a fever. My notmal temp is on the low side, and getting lower in recent months, but in the ER, it got up to 102 before dropping back down to about 99.5.

I was shaky and cold Tuesday night, too, and wound up throwing up three or four times. But by Wednesday mid-day, I felt okay and cancelled an emergency appointment they had given me with an internist I didn't know. (My regular PCP didn't have any openings.)

By the way, though my BP was quite high at the ER,when I took it on my home unit (an Omron), BP was normal to low. However, my heart rate, which ususally is in the 65-75 range, was up over 100! (What the heck is going on here?)

My hubby and I thought all this craziness might be related to a fibro flare--or at least the chest pain might be. I'm on a lot of medication, but I didn't take any of it today until about 12:30 pm.

Does any og this sound familiar to folks on this board? Is the kind of chest pain I described likely to be associated with costochondritis? Any other ideas you have to offer would be helpful.

--Laura

2. Denamay

Denamay New Member

You are having such a hard time of it.

I can'nt speak to the fever and nausia that you are experiencing, but the chest pain sounds like something that often happens to me.

Chest pain on my left side ribs, down my arm, across my shoulder and up the side of my neck.

Like you, any tests that I have had come out ok.

Often in the night I wonder if I should go to emerg.

I think I would be there once at least once a week, but I guess it is just the fibro thing.

If it was my heartI would have died years ago.

I hope they find out what is causing the infection, keep a close watch and head back to the hospital, if you do not feel better soon.Take care Denamy
  3. gerrijohnson315

gerrijohnson315 New Member

I say it is weird because for the last three nights I have had massive spasms in my back as well as chest pain. The chest pain has been in my rib cage but on both sides. I debated on going to the hospital, but just like Laura, I figured it had to be muscle related to Fibro.
    Gerri
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

...except for the vomiting it sounds like Pleurisy. I would have your regular physician to check it out.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/7/1680_53636.htm

I hope you feel better,

Karen
  5. Txslady

Txslady New Member

Do you still have your gallbladder? It sounds like what I went through when mine went out. The doctors never could explain the shaking but after it was all said and done and I did some research that is a symptom of biliary dyskinesia, this is when there are no stones. I sufferred off and on for almost 3 months before my doc finally admitted me to a hospital (after losing 40 lbs) and called in an infectious disease doctor. It took a general surgeon exploring my mid area to find the bad gallbladder.

FYI all my pain was on the left side. It was after the surgery that they diagnosed me with Fibro and said I referred pain. So When they ask where it hurts now tell them but then tell them that my body is cross wired....lol

Shannon
    [This Message was Edited on 04/28/2006]
  6. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

On at ,04/28/06 06:32 AM, txslady/Shannon wrote:

[[Do you still have your gallbladder? It sounds like what I went through when mine went out. The doctors never could explain the shaking but after it was all said and done and I did some research that is a symptom of biliary dyskinesia, this is when there are no stones. I sufferred off and on for almost 3 months before my doc finally admitted me to a hospital (after losing 40 lbs) and called in an infectious disease doctor. It took a general surgeon exploring my mid area to find the bad gallbladder.]]

That's very interesting. When my doc ordered an abdominal ultrasound to check out my liver several months back, he found that I have one small gallstone. But when I asked him whether gall bladder problems could be causing my chest pains (which had always been on the right side before Tuesday), he said that's likely to happen only after a heavy, fatty meal. I did have a donut Tuesday night, but I had salad for dinner.

I've talked to two doctors and a nurse today, and all said it sounded as if I'm dehydrated. My problem is that my GERD has gotten so bad that even drinking water can trigger intense heartburn and burning in my mouth and troat. (I was supposed to see a gastroenterologist this past Wednesday but had to reschedule, as I was too sick to go.)

Anyway, the nurse and my urologist said that if I can't drink enough fluids to rehydrate, I need to go to urgent care and get an IV. My neuro said it's also important for me to get my temp down, as a high temp can trigger my MS symptoms.

I wasn't even thinking about gall bladder in all of this. So I for the reminder. If these other things don't resolve the problems, I'll talk to my PCP about it. For now, the chest pain seems to be gone, but I'm still dealing with an unidentified infection of some kind.

--Laura

7. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

I have had that same pain lately!!! I have been back and forth to the doc and all he can say is costochondritis! Hurts like you know. My bp was up also and he swears its because of the pain I was having. He said with costo its like fibro in which you have flares on and off- another ueah something new to feel bad about- lol. Of course no cure. Just to do ice packs then hot packs on and off with advil. If the advil doesnt work I take flerexal.

Oh yeah it most of the time will only be on one side and ALWAYS the pain ratiates (sp) which makes you think its something bad of course. When I first got the dx it was on my left side which prompted a bunch of test including looking for colon cancer fun and it lasted for 6 months!! It went away and came back on the right side that prompted the ct scan which said costo flare.
    Its just another one of those things that drives you crazy and take it day by day and just take comfront in knowing you are not going to die from it! lol

Take care hope this helps
    Melinda from CA
  8. springlakeorphan

springlakeorphan New Member

Hi Laura
    3 weeks ago I went to the ER.EXACT same symptoms as yours.Could not find anything wrong.Family dr. came up with the fibro diag. Been suffering a long time. Never much of a complainer though. Never even been to the dr. except in real emergancies.I knew it was not my heart but a 48 year old walking into the ER is the first thing they suspect. Pain was very deep and was going on for a few days before. Thought it was a pulled muscle but just got worse.Just started Lexapro and haven't seen much result. The pain in my chest took 4 days to subside.Sorry this isn't much help but may be a comfort to know you are not alone.God bless!! Mary
  9. maggierose

maggierose New Member

Yes alot of chest pain,very painful. I have had this on and off for years. The doctor was going to give me a nerve block,but I didn"t have it done. I take muscle soma and that helps to a point. If it goes on to long I will try the shot. I hope this helps
    Maggierose,