Chewing gum and sinusutus a help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hikagranma, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Hikagranma

Hikagranma New Member

I came upon this quite by chance - you know how 10 year old chew sugarless gum - at least my grandaughter.

For years [AT LEAST 25 YEARS] I would get sinus 'pain'/ 'discomfort' - starts at the left [always the left side] eye - gradually goes goes to the sinus [maxuallary] in the cheek and will end at the top gumm line. IT also hAs worked itself up around my ear - and on down to the neck - ending about l inch below the ear.

I have had several Cat Scans done - no polyps, etc. [at this time] only a lot of scar tissue in the max. sinus. This past winter - the pain/disconfort was there for weeks at a time - Darvacet did not help. - I had almost one continous sinus infection.

Several weeks ago my GD gave me some gum [she thinks I am the only 80 yr.grandma who chews gum -maybe I am?!} I noticed that as I chewed it - the discomfort subsided! It sometimies did go away w/o any help - so I didn't think too much of that at this time. Then I would notice it again and again - and each time the discomfort would lessen - OR go away!

My daughter has sinus problems - and she tried it - and yes - it helped her too.

Of course I don't stop w/ just i stick of gumm - I like a mouth full [maybe 3-4 sticks] I try to chew by my self - cause I do chomp away at it. I even reflavor it w/ a sugarless mint.

I did pull out one inlay - I think from 1949 - so I will just have it put back - I feel it would have come out anyhow.

This is a true story! Marian
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

wonder if the chewing action moves the bones in the skull somewhat allowing and maybe stimulating drainage of the sinuses???

Sounds like an easy thing to try except I hate to kick up my old TMJ/jaw problems doing it.

Did you find every time you chewed it lessened the sinus pressure/pain, only to come back until you chewed again? Did it eventually totally go away?

Just Wondering,
    Victoria
  3. Hikagranma

Hikagranma New Member

I think just about every time - but you should see me chomp away. My daughter didn't want to believe me - but she tried it - and hers started to [pardon me] drain profusly!!
    I haven't checked with her since then. I will.

If you chew more gently it my not cause your old Jaw problems. That probaly would be worse than the sinus - from what I hear!

let me know how it works - I also am using drops of Coloidal Silver.

Marian
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

another one to help clear sinuses is to take a deep breath and then humm and to do this several times. The vibration helps clear the sinuses, it's not unlike the sounds used in some forms of meditation. I find this is especially useful first thing in the morning.

Love

Tansy